RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H-110 in a 357mag

Boolit Grand Master

I should have been clearer in my post. I have been down this same road. I had that exact gun and tried H110. It did not clean up. I switched to Unique and the fireball lessoned but near the top it came back as in I was afraid I was going to set the overhead branches of the tree on fire type of fireball. It was some years ago but I remember backing down on Unique till I got a good enough load. With that length barrel I do not recommend H110 but a faster powder.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Plane340,
    As I read your posts in this thread I sense your frustration. I almost think you would be better served by picking up some quality reloading manuals and reading them in your available quiet times instead of being on this forum. I only say that because I as well have an opinion about your particular situation and I can also tell that you are getting a lot of good advise, but it is all just hitting you in a wave all to fast. A good reloading manual has so much good information and can be referenced in a second when kept near your reloading bench. I would suggest getting a couple from particular bullet makers as well, albeit I know you are shooting cast bullets by what you describe and this is also a cast boolit forum.

I started reloading almost 40 years ago and it truly is my favorite hobby. I have enjoyed the journey to have obtained the knowledge level that I currently have. I feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to reloading, but I am always looking for a little more information therefore why I like to browse these threads, but even I have to just quit reading them sometimes because I get overwhelmed with the vast amount of feedback and information that an inquiry gets. Everyone really means well and again there is so much expertise on these forums that it is mind boggling, but I hate to see you get to overwhelmed and frustrated by it all. I was very fortunate to have one guy that I could bounce reloading questions off of back then and now I have about 4 good friends and sources that I confide in. Back when I started, there was a lot less selection back then, but I read as much as I could from reputable printed sources and found out what worked for me.

Hang in there Plane340. It really is fun. Maybe take a suggestion that you've been given in this thread, see if you can confirm that in a reloading manual or two and then apply. Load just a few to see if is a recipe that you like and then if so, document it in a logbook so you can reference and keep track of it's performance. I always suggest shooting new loads over a chronograph too. A chrony can tell you a lot that you didn't know was happening.

Enjoy and be safe.

One of the problems I have with working loads up is the ability to shoot test rounds. For me, shooting is not just simply stepping off the back porch and squeezing a few rounds off. I have to drive 15 to 20 miles, then pay someone range fees. I wish it weren't that way. I could set up a safe test area in my backyard, but the neighbors would call the cops before the bullets reached the trap. When I go to the range, I try to never take less than a box of ammo. Maybe someday I can live somewhere where the neighbors are more gracious and less jittery, but that won't be any time soon.

a chrony is on the wish list.

Reloading manuals are on the buy list.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plane340 View Post
    One of the problems I have with working loads up is the ability to shoot test rounds. For me, shooting is not just simply stepping off the back porch and squeezing a few rounds off. I have to drive 15 to 20 miles, then pay someone range fees. I wish it weren't that way. I could set up a safe test area in my backyard, but the neighbors would call the cops before the bullets reached the trap. When I go to the range, I try to never take less than a box of ammo. Maybe someday I can live somewhere where the neighbors are more gracious and less jittery, but that won't be any time soon.

a chrony is on the wish list.

Reloading manuals are on the buy list.
    Same issue here. When I typically make a range trip with 'test rounds' I also take a separate gun with known good rounds so I get my monies worth out of the trip. I know some ranges differ than others, mine in particular is just a 'per hour' fee with no limit on the guns. If my test loads suck or don't function....i shrug it off and shoot the other gun.

A chrony is on my list as well as one of those fancy backyard ranges.

I shot a 2" SP101 357 mag for years, but with a 158 gr. cast SWC. I got the best (as in accuracy) results with hp-38 and Bullseye. Now, I did find a great use for H-110 in this little gun. Right before dark, after the sun has gone down, if you have an audience, you can amuse them by firing H-110 and a magnum primer. A large portion of the powder doesn't burn until it escapes out the side from the barrel/cylinder gap. This produces a 4 or 5 foot wide "donut of fire" and everybody is amazed, and afraid to fire your gun. That was the only use I found for H-110 in that gun.

Boolit Mold
    I just LOVE IT when someone finally "Lets the Cat out of the Bag!". I enjoy reading older posts like the one huntrick64 sent in way back when! Hell, I was trying to reduce loads of H-110 clear back in 1965 when it finally dawned on me that my blindness was caused by trying to shoot H-110 in a S&W Airweight! I think that was about the same time my hearing was starting to go diddy-wah! Kinda like when somebody stabs you in the ear with a Phillips screwdriver!!

Boolit Bub
    I like universal better than unique. But most my snubby loads are red dot. H110 gets saved for the longer barrels. Red dot surpasses the velocity from a 2" that the same 2" gives with heavy H110 without the flash.

Boolit Master
    Try that 125 gr. boolit over some Bullseye or HP 38.

My only experience with 125 Grain bullets in the .357 using H110. Back in 1984 I working as a police officer. I chose Federal 125 JHP's as my carry load. I also wanted to keep a spare 50 rounds in the patrol car with me. I can't recall the exact 125 JHP I picked to use in working up my load. Hercules 2400 was always at the top of the list for magnum handguns for me. I'd shot many out of a .44 Magnum with great results. I was new to it in the .357 Magnum. I worked up a ladder load watching for pressure signs, etc. The first cylinder full went well. I dumped the empties and filled the chambers. Huh? Why is it hard to close the cylinder? I opened it up and dumped the loaded cartridges and started looking for any issues. The issue was an unburned granule of powder under the extractor star. Back to the starting bench. My loading books at the time indicated H110 as a great choice. Another round of working up a ladder load and back to the range. I found that the H110 burned clean as a whistle, zero problems.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Most reloading manuals ( other then those put out by powder companies) will list the best powders for a caliber. Lyman even notes the most consistent load they found.
    There are so many powders that many powders are suitable for an application. It may be impossible to find the single best.
    For your application,with a short barrel and a light bullet, you need a quick powder to get highest velocities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123