MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Cast boolits with Lead Shot?

Boolit Mold

Cast boolits with Lead Shot?

G,day,
    I have a milk tin of lead shot. I have some sticks of 50/50 solder. Can someone tell me if I can cast the Lee 405HB in 45 70 with these 2 components, and if so, what mix ?

cheers

Boolit Master
    I can't, however there is a lead alloy calculator on this site that might.

Banned

well let's start with the shot itself.
    smaller sized bird shot usually has more antimony than the larger sizes and Magnum shot has more than chilled.
    you could have 5-6% antimony, 3% antimony, or about 1% antimony.
    you'll have to take a guesstimate at what you got there. [I'd probably call it 4% if it's mostly 7-8 shot]

then I'd melt and flux and reduce the shot itself into ingots.
    you have a lot of oxidized surface area to deal with and graphite covering the shot itself.
    once you have that, then weighing out some ingots and adding 1% tin should give you a workable alloy.

it might be a bit tough to blow up a hollow base to grip rifling well with that mix, so I would suggest adding some soft lead maybe half/half and working with that.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you runfiverun. When you say add 1% tin, do you mean the 50/50 solder? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Leadlauncher View Post
    Thank you runfiverun. When you say add 1% tin, do you mean the 50/50 solder? Cheers
    Yes, enough of that solder to bring the alloy to 1% tin.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    I use small birdshot as a hardener for pure lead to make my alloy. My current alloy is 35% birdshot, 65% pure (more or less but close), and then add just a little tin. It has made excellent boolits for both my rifles and pistols plus expands well with the rifle boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm from the Ozarks and we use a lot of local terminology but I've never heard of a "milk tin'... what's that?

Much obliged

I suspect he is talking about a 30 gallon milk cans.
    It is how milk was delivered to the city. Milk was cooled, then filtered into the can and hauled to train station or truck for delivery.

Typically they were galvanized steel with 2 good handles and a tight fitting cap. Ideal shot storage IMO.

Banned

some of the later ones had a bit of insulation and a plastic liner.
    they would be great for storing shot.

pouring it out would pose a little problem but a water dipper would work to get the shot out pretty well until it was low enough to manage.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used shot reclaimed from skeet and trap fields. It casts well and water quenches and heat treats very well as it has arsenic in it.
    The tin from the solder may or may not be needed, but 1% should not hurt anything.

Boolit Master
    I hate threads like this, it seems once I find them some smart person has already provided a good answer.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Ozark Man. When Aussies say milk tins it is a 1 or 2 litre metal can which previously contained powdered milk. Historically used much for the last 100 years or so as a "billy can", which was filled with water, put on a fire, water boiled, tea leaves added to produce tea. Cheers
    Last edited by Leadlauncher; 07-08-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: missed word

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I have used shot reclaimed from skeet and trap fields. It casts well and water quenches and heat treats very well as it has arsenic in it.
    The tin from the solder may or may not be needed, but 1% should not hurt anything.
    I have purchased recovered shot for hardening purposes. Sure like to find some more. Locally that is.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    Yes, enough of that solder to bring the alloy to 1% tin.
    So. Fifty pounds of shot ingots equals 800 ounces of stuff. Forty-nine pounds equals 784 ounces of stuff. Add a pound of 50/50 solder and one has 792 ounces of stuff and 8 ounces of Sn, and that is close enough to be called 1%.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)