Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: X-ray shielding

Banned

X-ray shielding

Noticed a renovation going at a medical clinic where I am now. Did some dumpster diving and pulled at least 100 pounds of this from the drywall it was attached to. I'm guessing it's pure? It does seem very, very soft. Looks like I'll have metal for all the muzzle loader shooting I do for a long, long time.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yep. Pure or really close to it. Good find!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

The stuff that I have gotten off of sheetrock is very soft. Close enough to pure for what we do with it. Good Score!

Dumpster diving has gotten me some unusual finds over the decades...great sport!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance

I scored 3 broken partials and a full, but still broken, 8` sheet from a lab renovation. Getting the lead off the sheet rock was a pain in itself till I smelted it down to burn off the paper and adhesive still left. Talk about a smoky stinking mess! The lead had a multi colored surface when ready to ladle out to molds for ingots.Robert

Boolit Master
    I got lucky and found some from a new project at a local hospital.all the scraps and damaged stuff they could not use.400lbs worth weigh out melt and add tin for my BPCR shooting.

Banned

let it sit out in the rain for a year and it comes right out. Same goes for the stuff that they sandwich in wood like doors. Its not pure. Theres a bit on antimony in it. I find it about the same as lead pipe or telephone company boxes or radioactive waste boxes ive gotten from hospitals. For the most part thought theres not enough to not make it work fine as pure. I just wouldn't advertise it as pure if I was selling it.

Banned
    Its a good find. I almost had a roll of it at a hospital job but then at the last minute they figured they better hang onto it.

x-ray room lead has to conform to standards. Generally as pure as foundry and virgin rather than recycled source when manufactured. Lead has to be able to block a specific amount of x-rays, at a set distance for a given thickness of lead. Only way to "know" it will accomplish that task is to use a known metal that matches the standards. In this case the standard is better than 99% pure lead which is why it won't be from a recycled source.

Nice find, I know I would have no problem dumpster diving for $100 in cash so $100 in lead would be an easy choice too.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

I got most of the dry wall off of it before I threw it in the truck (I was lucky I had my truck there, normally I would've ridden the bus with the kids). Anyway, there is still a lot of adhesive and paper-like stuff on some of it from the dry wall. I'm gonna take Lloyde's advice and lay it out and let Mother Nature do the work, it has been raining a lot lately. I layed it out as flat as I could with all the pieces next to each other and am guessing at least 200 square feet of it by rough estimation. No idea what that equates to in weight, but there's a lot there. And to think it was all destined for a land fill.

This stuff is SOFT! I'm pretty sure it is as pure as anything I have ever cast with and I'll never sell lead anyway. I might give to a fellow caster in need, but this stuff is going to provide muzzle loader bullets for the rest of my life unless I really increase my shooting of such things.

If you work on cars or engines you might want to keep a piece of sheet lead. Makes a flexible funnel / trough to drain fluids from awkward locations. Or to fill fluids when a normal funnel won't fit well. Also a couple of pieces to fold over vice jaws as padding for items that would get scratched or damaged by the steel jaws and their gripping surface.

Adhesive left on the lead will probably burn, and smoke some too. The stuff I have seen was a lot like liquid nails construction adhesive. I would say outside, and downwind of house will turn out to be a wise choice. I can smelt most stuff in garage with big blowers drawing air though. Turned out to be a mistake with this batch. It burned for a good long while. This was after I had time to go inside, get camera, come back out and still going strong. Great lead however and totally worth it, just wish I had done this stuff outside.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-19 21.44.05.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	171560
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

They are going to be renovating the radiology department where I work. I have already put dibs on the lead. I was wondering exactly how it was attached and how thick it was. Anyone have any pics?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

This stuff seems about an eighth inch thick and was attached to what appeared to be ordinary sheet rock with some kind of adhesive. It peeled off the dry wall pretty easy but left adhesive and paper on a lot of it.