Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: AR lower question

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

AR lower question

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'll try here and hope for the best.

I was talking with a fellow today and he told me about a source that makes lowers in halves that can then be screwed together to make a complete, functional lower. He told me that because it is not a complete receiver until the halves are screwed together it is not considered a firearm (in the normal context of the term, not the NFA firearm definition) so the halves can be individually shipped between individuals without an FFL transfer. Does anyone here know how valid his statements are in regard to the "non-firearm until assembled"? I was under the impression that the serial numbered part had to be FFL transferred but since a 50% receiver is not technically a receiver, I'm at a loss to understand how they are getting by with this, if indeed it is true. I have not verified any of this because I'm not going to waste a bunch of time researching this if it is just another urban legend.

I'm not interested in a discussion about the longevity or any other functional aspect of a screw build just the aspect of having a way to beat the system, so to speak.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I'm pretty sure they are considered 80% lowers. They don't require an FFL because there is some extra machining needed to make them functional. I don't believe that come in two halves though.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance
    KT Ordnance has a bolt together lower.

http://www.ktordnance.com/detail/kt15bx.html
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

How about a welded steel lower kit?

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

I'll stick with carving-out 80% lowers myself, though I used to TIG weld OK.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Last words of Major General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    KT Ordnance has a bolt together lower.

http://www.ktordnance.com/detail/kt15bx.html
    Minimum order of 12 at $225 each, I think not.

Not sure how any of the responses so far, address the question of whether or not an FFL is needed for the posted situation. I guess I'll just have to contact the company, if it indeed exists, and see what is going on.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

if the one company is selling the bolt together kits with no ffl that should have answered your question.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if the one company is selling the bolt together kits with no ffl that should have answered your question.

Yup! You're right. How could I be so stupid?

Actually those need more than bolting together for completion. If they were completed I am not sure how the ATF would handle those as halves?

Ask them for a copy of the letter from the BATF granting them permission to sell the receivers without an SN.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    You guys are seeing something that I'm not on KT Ordnance's website. The screw-together lower was killed several years ago by BATF, IIRC. Seems like they said that it was more than 80% complete, and made KT stop selling them. All they advertise now in the way of AR lowers are pretty standard looking 80% you-mill-them types.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Minimum order of 12 at $225 each, I think not.
    Yikes!!

Palmetto had lower blems for about $55 a while back. The two I saw in the shop were marginally blemished only.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

it clearly states it is an 80% and the list was updated in january of this year. maybe something changed between then and now but I don't recall anything. it does say some milling is needed other than just bolting together.

Boolit Buddy

PSA routinely sells "blemished" lowers. I have purchased several. I asked one day what the blemish was when I was in the home office in Columbia. They told me to look at the PSA emblem that is engraved in the side. It is very shallow. Much shallower than the other engraving. They said that was the blemish.

Boolit Master
    it clearly states it is an 80% and the list was updated in january of this year. maybe something changed between then and now but I don't recall anything. it does say some milling is needed other than just bolting together.
    The original KT-15 lower, IIRC, was completely machined with the exception of drilling (?) and tapping the screw holes. That was the one that the BATF made them stop selling. So now you have to mill things out, drill the pin holes and safety/selector hole, and then screw it together. I regret not having bought at least one of the originals.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Seems to be pricey . . .

AND

Unless 12 people get together and each take one someone is likely to be tagged as "Manufacturing" something.

Just a SWAG on my part of course
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk4570 View Post
    How about a welded steel lower kit?

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

I'll stick with carving-out 80% lowers myself, though I used to TIG weld OK.

They have AR-10 (DPMS LR-308 pattern) weld together lowers for $35 as well... I've got a buddy that is a welder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    They have AR-10 (DPMS LR-308 pattern) weld together lowers for $35 as well... I've got a buddy that is a welder.
    I have one of those here. Just waiting on time to tig it together. He did not show that they had any in stock, but a quick email got one shipped out right away. I had grand dreams of stretching it out to 30-06, but I may never get to it. I am watching a 30-06 build on one of these through weapons guild.

Boolit Master
    why worry about a 'registered" receiver just put in local newspaper and it history . same with guns

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I have one of those here. Just waiting on time to tig it together. He did not show that they had any in stock, but a quick email got one shipped out right away. I had grand dreams of stretching it out to 30-06, but I may never get to it. I am watching a 30-06 build on one of these through weapons guild.
    I ordered both the AR10 and AR15. I believe I'll do the AR10 into a 45 Raptor. Will probably use the AR15 to complete one of my uppers into a full rifle. I currently have 1 polymer lower for 2 uppers, a 300 and a 6.8.

Boolit Master
    I am happy enough with regular 80%-ers from Lone Wolf. An hour or so, and my wife loves the purple ones he had for sale earlier this year.

Too Many Things,

they never take your name and information off their list...