MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: mystery alloy

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

mystery alloy

hi
    melted some scrap lead from the scrap yard along with reclaimed shot ended up with a pot of material that would not melt took the temp over 1000 deg and it just looked like creamy mashed potatos . emptied what i could get out of the pot it looked like some in the bottom of the pot had started to melt but as soon as you skimmed the surface it formed a film like mashed potatos . as i said poured what i could out of the pot but some of it stuck to the sides and bottom of the pot and the ladle . tried to use wire brush in drill press with some success but still have quite a bit in the bottom of the pot. tried to melt it out with propane torch but the pot turns cherry red but it will not melt. any thoughts other than i should have stopped before i got the temp that high

Boolit Master
    What did the scrap look like before you melted it? That is probably a better way to determine if you even wanted to buy it. Home cast ingots can be about anything that melted.

it looked like square blocks about 5x10 inches and about 1/2 inch thick some was old lead pipe some was sheathing and some was shot . its hard to say which ended up in the pot as i was at the end of melting over 1000 pounds and was melting the small scraps were i hag to cut up the other lead and some reclamed shot but there must have been something different because i had no problem with the rest of the melt

Might have been zinc and lead. Zinc will sour an entire batch of lead, so keep it seperate.

thought of that but doesnt zinc melt a little over the temp of lead this never really melted and whats left in the bottom of the pot and on my ladle will not melt even with a torch

Try the acid test with muriatic acid. Check for the fizz to indicate zinc.

Boolit Master

your reclaimed shot is probably the culprit, maybe full of bismuth.

boy i sure hope not i had a lot of shot that i melted at this point i will trash the last of this stuff as it was only about 40 to 50 pounds . the rest seemed to do just fine nice ingots even cast some with no problem my main concern now is getting the rest out of my melter . at the point of sanding it out now

I agree that it is some function of Zinc, with some other alloy in it. I had similar troubles with
    a batch of metal that were plugs for pots in a chemical plant. Melted into a heavy silver paste.
    There was a lot of lead present, but seemed like I couldn't get it hot enough to flow and separate.
    Specialty alloys can be mysterious to work with. I have some Alumilum that is Velvet Flow. This
    alloy was formed under a gas shield which interrupts molecular structure. The first time it is
    melted it only takes approx 400*, after that it takes normal melting temp.

If it is Zinc, it can be removed with powdered Sulfur. You can get Sulfur at the hardware store in the garden dept.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Sulfur-Report

drm50
    that sounds exactly like what it is. i tried to melt it several times thinking i could use it for weights or something( to cheap to throw much away) it just never would melt. i know the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and expecting different results. pbaholic i have considered trying sulfur but read in someones post that when added to melted lead you can expect a fire shooting from the pot like a giant road flare. not sure where i read it or if it is true . anyway i would like to thank all who took the time to respond i really do appreciate it .