RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of libraries and such

in Remebrance

Of libraries and such

Why do we even have them anymore? This modern generation apparently doesn't read. Went to my local library the other day, the lady told me the young folks never crack a book, they're only there for computer access. Point of going was to see if they had anything by Robert Ruark. Got "Use Enough Gun", takes you back to times gone by and the Africa of an earlier day. Also got "The Old Man and the Boy", can't wait to get into that one. Speaking of good books, some of you might enjoy "Beyond Reproach" by J. D. Kinman. A work of fiction, but ties in with all these mass shootings in a way that makes you stop and think. JD writes a story that you can go back in a few months and read again, even tho you "know" what happens next. Well, gotta get up from here and go load some ammo. Shucks, might get a chance to go after cape buffalo, gotta be ready. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Yup, just municipal paid daycare centers. Maybe a few Dr. Suess & 'Tommy has 2 mothers' books.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Yup, just municipal paid daycare centers. Maybe a few Dr. Suess & 'Tommy has 2 mothers' books.
    Dr. Seuss was a genius. Just for the record.

Boolit Grand Master

Whoo there. Let's not lump them all in that category. I have a 15-year-old Grandaughter That read 74 books during last school year. (way over a thousand in her life) Not children's books either, but subjects like 'The Holicost, and Egyptian culture' all while maintaining a 4.4 GPA with college level courses. She is an accomplished pianist, plays the violin, guitar, and mandolin. She has a 13-year-old Sister who is following in her footsteps plus playing sports.
    The library is the second place I look for reference material because I first use the PC (on the library site) to see what's available.
    I know it's true that many young folks don't make use of the wealth of info available for free, but that is only what we as parents and Grandparents have taught them by example.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Not the case in my house. Number one daughter reads 'til she is blue in the face. Number two daughter not far behind.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Extreme readers here.
    6 kids, 3 out of 7 grandkids (4 too young to read by themselves).
    Only a few prefer ebooks over hardcopy.

I prefer ebooks for fiction and hardcopy for nonfiction.
    All we can do is teach. The kids have to learn.

'Monkey

Boolit Master

My DW is the elected Treasurer of the town Library. There are many young folks active there including reading whatever they can.

Don't base your opinion of a big metro area library. The kids probably cannot read due to their union based NEA teachers.
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 06-25-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: can't spell due to NEA union teachers

Boolit Master
    I thought I would be big in to ebooks, but honestly they don't engage me at all like a real book does. The electronic light seems to strain my eyes more than just reading by a lamp anyways, and it never needs charging or wifi signal. Much like guns, I collect what I read and don't intend on giving it back so I always just buy the book if it looks interesting.

Boolit Master

I read a lot and every time I go to the county library here in O Fallon, the place is full of the old and the young alike. O Fallon is about 85,000 in population. The whole county is about 250,000 to 300,000.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

J.D. also has a sequel to the book mentioned above.

I should mention our very own J.D. Kinman B.T.W. for those that aren't aware of it.
    He and I developed the 45/45/10 lube together, it is also known as Recluse lube by many.
    named after his Avatar name here.

Boolit Master

Old man and the Boy is maybe the best book I've ever read. "Bird" aka "pottidge" hunting and buckshot for deer is in my genes. The greater theme is the life lessons passed to the boy by the old man in so many ways.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 06-25-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I thought I might have to weigh in on this one but seems to have things covered.

I read some fiction almost every night. Almost always get my books at the Library. I have had them get me some technical non-fiction from other libraries. They can get you almost anything ever printed if you know the ISBN number.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Strongly believe that Ms JK Rowling deserves every red cent she has made from the Harry Potter series as it ignited the desire to read in a new generation and is still going. Further, daughter number one has spread to similar themes as a spin off.

Doesn't actually matter what they read as long as they read. If you get young fellas who will only read motorcycle or shooting magazines then let him, just as long as he is reading.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    Speaking of good books, some of you might enjoy "Beyond Reproach" by J. D. Kinman. A work of fiction, but ties in with all these mass shootings in a way that makes you stop and think. JD writes a story that you can go back in a few months and read again, even tho you "know" what happens next. Well, gotta get up from here and go load some ammo. Shucks, might get a chance to go after cape buffalo, gotta be ready. GW
    JD is a member here - goes by 'Recluse'...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Most libraries have 'evolved' as political correctness swept the country. No more gun, hunting, farming, building books that appeal to the lower classes. With the internet wikipedia, dedicated websites, and Amazon you can find what you want other places than the library so no reason to go there and search in vain. If you only want fiction, politically correct history, and art then modern city libraries are fine but they are no longer a technical resource like they used to be. There may be some towns that have useful libraries but most I've seen are now for entertainment not learning.

Boolit Master
    I have my boyscout fieldbook from the 80's, it is a night and day difference compared to what is in it now =). Lots of useful stuff in there! Hope my son is interested in camping and outdoors when he gets older.

I am a 'reader'. My kids are readers, GKs not so much but starting to be. Read through most of 2 H.S. libraries. Old girl friend got me into it, her mom had the complete E.A. Poe collection and a lot others. Used to go to Linda Hall (now MU@KC ), best technical collection on everything in the state. You could even get permission to look at 'antiquities' section - with gloves and in a special room. Wasn't much there last time I went ~ 20 yrs ago.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Old man and the Boy is maybe the best book I've ever read. "Bird" aka "pottidge" hunting and buckshot for deer is in my genes. The greater theme is the life lessons passed to the boy by the old man in so many ways.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I've got a copy on the way now, will be reading it to my boy for bedtime stories.

Boolit Master
    My son just gave me a copy of Command and Control by Eric Schlosser
    It is a Cold War book about Nuclear weapons.

I read all the time.
    Took the TV out over ten years ago and never looked back.

Boolit Master

My 3 kids (8, 10, 13) love the library! They will all come home with armloads of books as well. They are all homeschooled and a lot of the homeschool meetups revolve around libraries. My oldest recently said she may even want to be a librarian when she gets older. Cool with me! I spent many hours of my youth nerding it at the library. You mean to tell me that I can look at ANY of these books whenever I want?!?!?! I'm there! I remember when I got my first library card I thought I was "the man". I was checking books out like crazy. My 3 now have their own cards as well and when they got them, boy were they proud of them!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast