MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Acp Swc

45 Acp Swc

I just loaded up 50

185 gr cast semi wad cutter
    4.4 gr Bullseye

This is my first time loading semi wad cutters. I seated these just a tad above the case with a little crimp. I used Vance boolits, dont know what mold this is, and this turned out a 1.25" COAL. I am going to run them through my Glock 21 using a aftermarket rifled barrel. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I have been running 4.5 gr Bullseye with my 230 gr round nose. I had a hard time going through all the books finding the data for the SWC. A lot of conflicting data.
    Last edited by ddeaton; 05-20-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    I just loaded up 50

4.4 gr Bullseye

... I am going to run them through my Glock 21. Anyone see anything wrong with this? ....
    I was under the impression that cast bullets should not be fired in a factory Glock barrel.
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with GCF ! !

If that is a factory GLOCK barrel, you're flirting with a disaster shooting cast bullets.

Ben

Wow, I musta hit a sore spot. Slow down fellas. I am shooting through a aftermarket rifled barrel. Thats all I use in my Glocks. Although I have been known to walk on the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    I just loaded up 50

4.4 gr Bullseye

This is my first time loading semi wad cutters.
    I have a lighter spring to shoot sub 4gr loads . You "can" increase the charge as a bullet gets lighter . Sound like a workable target load .

I love the 185 JHP Zero bullets that are hard to come by these days.

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds pretty mild to me. I've been using 5.0gr behind a 230gr (Lyman 452374) for about 800fps.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    I'm puzzled by the replies stating that lead bullets should not be fired in a Glock factory barrel. The original post plainly states that he was going to be using an aftermarket rifled barrel.
    In any case, I have fired thousands of cast bullets through a Glock 17 and also Glock 26 with factory barrels. No problems!
    Glock doesn't say do not use cast bullets in their guns, they say "Do not use reloads".
    You guys need to read the posts a little more closely before voicing your second hand opinions!
    Clyde

I've never used the 185gr LSWC but I use the 200gr- My experience has been that glocks are not as sensative to OAL as 1911s- your load I would think is fine

seeing as how it came up, I shoot lead in stock glocks too- 9mm,40sw, and 45acp.

Boolit Master

ddeaton,

Are your loaded rounds feeding ok? I have not loaded the 45acop for a glock or an xd so cannot really comment on proper seating depth. I have loaded a bunch of swc for the 1911a1 platform with gi spec chamber and feed ramp. There is a good discussion of seating depth/overall length of swc for the 1911a1 platform in the jerry kuhnausen manual. I posted it on the forum in the past, I don't have the book at hand. if you want someone to look it up just holler.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ihmsa70 View Post
    ... The original post plainly states that he was going to be using an aftermarket rifled barrel.

...You guys need to read the posts a little more closely before voicing your second hand opinions!
    Clyde
    No need to get nasty. I could be wrong, but I think the aftermarket barrel thing was edited in this morning - after the fact.
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF

Boolit Grand Master
    Clyde :

For whatever it is worth to you, I did read his post, my remarks weren't a second hand opinion. His post was edited this morning at 7:59 a.m.

When a Glock fires and it isn't in battery, ALL HELL will break lose. That's no " 2nd Hand Opinion." Call Glock and see what they say !

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-21-2008 at 10:09 PM.

I've posted several times about my Glock 30 and cast boolits; they are all I've ever fired in it and have never had any problem at all. I'd be more worried about a 9mm or 40 S&W because of their higher operating pressures. Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Please Be careful

Bought a Glock 17 in April 1989; and have been firing 90% cast boolits since then, this was the pistol that started me casting Pb. So yes please be careful about repeating the tale. I have 2 other glocks and they are fed cast boolits with no problems,40SWand 45ACP. All have eaten 1000's and 1000's. I am to resistant to buying a new after-market barrels as I've not had problems. Mis dos centavos.Gracias, I believe that this info may help newbies start casting with a little more care and consideration of the fact that casting is not just for saving money, but a learning process were we as adults tread lightly and concientiuosly through a craft that can bring MUCH knowledge.Make that cuatro centavos. Y otra ves Gracias.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll be glad to be careful about " repeating the tale ", but it is going to be hard to get everyone else to be quiet about the issue :

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=324233&page=6

http://www.policeandsecuritynews.com...GunsBlowUp.htm

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01230.html

The list goes on and on................

If you own a Glock and want to shoot cast bullets in it, that
    is great. I don't own a Glock and probably won't ever own one.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-20-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    ddeaton,

Are your loaded rounds feeding ok? I have not loaded the 45acop for a glock or an xd so cannot really comment on proper seating depth. I have loaded a bunch of swc for the 1911a1 platform with gi spec chamber and feed ramp. There is a good discussion of seating depth/overall length of swc for the 1911a1 platform in the jerry kuhnausen manual. I posted it on the forum in the past, I don't have the book at hand. if you want someone to look it up just holler.
    I dont know yet, just loaded 50 to try. Havent made it to the range yet, been raining, will try tomorrow and will post results.

didnt mean to start a battle guys, sorry. I did edit my post after the fact just to clarify. At least I stirred up some good replies. I will post results after range trip.
    Thanks,
    Danny

I've never shot lead through a glock though so long as the OAL was ok I don't see a problem. I've heard of 100's of people shooting lead with not one single problem and others who have just started reloading...and with lead at first and damage the gun...we'll they ran before they really know how to walk and do not know how to diagnose a gun kaboom. They need to read up on Julian Hatcher thats for sure
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    I've never shot lead through a glock though so long as the OAL was ok I don't see a problem. I've heard of 100's of people shooting lead with not one single problem and others who have just started reloading...and with lead at first and damage the gun...we'll they ran before they really know how to walk and do not know how to diagnose a gun kaboom. They need to read up on Julian Hatcher thats for sure
    Yes, I am am not worried about the lead at all. My worries are OAL, as I have never reloaded or shot semi wadcutters through my Glocks or 1911s. I will see how these feed and go from there.

went to the range today and these shot fine. no misfeeds at all. I think I will get a lighter spring though, brass hits me right on top the head.

Smile

I just put on a hat.

Took my kids and some of their friends shooting yesterday. One lovely young lady learned why it's best not to wear a low cut blouse to shoot autoloading pistols. Man, she's a deadeye with my old Colt Official Police .38 revolver shooting double action, after I just told her the trick of finding the point just before the trigger releases and taking a final aim.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast