WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Sav. Model 40- 22 Hornet

Boolit Master at heavens range

Sav. Model 40- 22 Hornet

Have any of yous got one of these and how did it work with cast bullets, What kind of loads and ect. I got one thats been on the rack for over 2 years and cant make myself shoot it any more after all the toruble I had, Sav. put on a new barrel, It shot in 24 to the right with jacketed bullets, it grouped 3/8 , Then after the new barrel it shot 18 in. to the left, Put on z rings with inserts, have 4 in. on the scope to play with to the right. The barrel is floating. I still feel the z rings didnt take care of the real trouble. What kind of luck have yous had. Thanks for reading. Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Try going to savageshooters.com and I am sure someone there will be able to help you

Boolit Grand Master

smokemjoe

Just picked up one that's been in a shop in NC for 1 1/2 years. Will let you know how it shoots when I get it home to Washington. Maybe next week.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one sometime last year and while I didn't put a real effort in cast bullets with it I was pretty happy with it with jacketed bullets. The thing I didn't like was that the receiver is not supported at all. Not wanting to bed the stock I made up a spacer that fit in the pocket in the stock and supported the rear bolt. Made a big difference not binding the bolt. Only tried 40gr j with lil'gun but it did shoot 3/8 at 50 yards. Hope to work more with it soon but I did just get the CZ-usa 223...
    Brian

I've owned one for almost a year now, and I believe it is one of the most accurate factory rifles I've owned. I've only shot jacketed, but it'll put just about any load into 1" @100yds, and with the "right" load I've gotten pretty little cloverleafs at the same distance.

Bought it for my wife, but it's a blast to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a chance to shoot my new M40 yesterday. None of the cases fired in either of my other 2 Hornets (Ruger #3 and TC carbine) would chamber so that was a good sign the chamber was tight. I had 35 rounds of 40 gr Sierra Hornet bullets over 11.5 gr H4227 so I pulled the bullets, partial resized the cases and put that 11.5 gr charge back in. There's not much on a 40 gr bullet for the collet to get a hold of and several of the bullets were scrunched. I loaded them anyways. Each one of those scrunched bullets was a flyer.

The first group is 10 shots of that load off the bench. The bottom two shots out at 4-5 o'clock were scrunched bullets. The Sun was behind me and with the 18X scope I was able to see the base of the bullet from around 50 yards to impact in the target. The rifle is heavy and it was well supported on a rest up front and sand bag in the rear so there was little recoil. The two flyers broke "down and away" and it was neat to watch.

The second group is 10 shots using the bipod with no sand bag rear rest. The 3 shots off the paster are with scrunched bullets. Accuracy is great for a thrown together load and this rifle should be death and destruction on ground squirrels. I'm interested now to work with some 45 gr Sierras and Hornady's. Might try some of the 33-35 gr bullets too. Cast bullets are definately on the menu. I have 225438 and 225415 to try.

I haven't measured mine but anyone know the twist on these?

Last photo is the M40. The scope is a Simons 6x18 air rifle scope. The pasters in the group photo's are 1".

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-28-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    It's 1-14, mine likes 12.5gr LiL Gun,WSR primers and Win. brass, it wears a Simmons Pro Hunter 4X12, it will shoot the 33gr HPFB Speer, 35 gr HPFB Berger 35 Vmax into an inch @ 100
    yds but it likes the 40 gr Vmax best and shoots them even closer . It definitley likes the LiL GUN and you can use that 12.5 gr load for all those bullets the ones in the 30 gr sizes are real close to 3000 fps the 40 Vmax about 2680 . Ive used IMR4227, with good results with the Berger.

Has any one shot the Barnes Varmint Grenade in 36gr?

I'm really looking forward to starting my casting and am wanting to shoot them in my Mdl 40.

It is great to find a place where I can get help with this newest hobby,
    Nice to meet y'all!

Boolit Grand Master

1-14" twist eh...that ought to do just fine with 225415 then. Might work fine up to 2700 fps? Have to cast some up and give them a try.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Let me know with cast bullets, I am hopeing this will be the one. Thanks for the help, Smokemjoe