MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you top off your military rifle with a bayonet purchase?

Do you top off your military rifle with a bayonet purchase?

I collect the rifles. but also accumulate bayonets. Relatively cheap, plentiful and many times made and finished to the most rigid of standards, they are for me, sometimes hard to resist.

That, and the truth be known, I like movies were beleaguered soldiers resist overwhelming odds with a final order- FIX, BAYONETS!
    Last edited by pill bug; 06-26-2016 at 02:41 AM.

I also have some in my accumulation, but for the most part did not specifically seek them out. Some of the rifles came with them. For example, most of the Turkish M-38 Mausers sold dirt cheap about 15 years ago came with them. At the time I purchased a couple dozen of them with an eye to future sporterization projects and ended up with a box full of the bayonets. When I got around to cleaning them up and looking at them more closely I discovered that many of them were originally made for other rifles the Turks had bought, or in some cases had been battlefield pick-ups that they had remodeled to fit their current (at the time) rifles. Among them was a very early Lee Enfield bayonet that had been shortened and fitted with a new guard, but which still bore all of the English markings. I made a gift of it to a collector in England. Some of them (bayonets) are now less common than the rifles they were issued with and can be more expensive than the rifle. A good example would be Italian Carcano bayonets. In fact, replica bayonets are becoming common and are themselves not inexpensive. Seems as though replicators in India make U.S. and British bayonets and the Chinese make some U.S. and Mauser bayonets. So if you're going to collect them, beware of replicas.
    DG

Boolit Master

Well, Leftenant, if ye'd ordered the lads t' use their magazine cutoffs and single load like yer good Sergeant Major told you to, we woood na be in this sorry state o' fightin' off the fuzzy wuzzys with our toothpicks, now would we. . .Sir?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

They do complete the look of the rifle sometimes. Though I must say they deserve way more respect with a bayonet fixed.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Mold

Do you top off your military rifle with a bayonet purchase?

The p13 and 1907 are particularly impressive

Long FN export model nice also

1916 German ersatz fits the gew 98 and gew88

But by far the longest rifle/bayo combo I have is a Dutch m95 Hembrug

Bayonets and slings are desirable to me - still looking for these rare models:

Yugo m95m
    Steyr m1903/14
    Yugo m1924b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The only bayonet that I really liked was the ones that come on sks's, there's no losing them!

Boolit Master
    I don't seek them out but if I find the correct one at a reasonable price I'll grab it. Just seems right to have all the accessories.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Here's a little bit of British law on the subject. Someone I know purchased a Russian rifle with a permanently attached folding bayonet. It's a licensed live firer that he takes to the range. He was told by no less a personage than his firearms licensing officer that if he didn't remove the bayonet then when he took it to the range he could be charged with carrying an offensive weapon, the bayonet, in public!

Boolit Master
    Aren't they banning knives in the UK? I remember reading about them collecting knives so that the knives can't be used to commit crimes there. Thus going out in public with a bayonet on the rifle could be bad in this case. Now I have a Mosin Nagant carbine which has an attached bayonet on it, but one can remove the pin and remove the bayonet from it.

I also have some matching bayonets to go with some of my rifles too. My most impressive one is the sword bayonet that they used on the Egyptian Remington Rolling Blocks in the 1800's. A long wicked looking bayonet.

Attachment 170614
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-20-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: add more information

Boolit Buddy
    Top off a mil. surp. rifle with a bayonet PURCHASE - Why? My M44 (the only mil. surp. rifle I own) came with one already installed.
    7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly.

If the bayonet constitutes an "offensive weapon" I'm curious if that officer knows you can make a fine club out of a rifle.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

Every one of my military rifles has a bayonet with it except for my early M1 carbines. I have trench knives to go with those.

My Swedish Mausers had nice short, well made, knife-like bayonets. Sold them with the guns, another bad move. lol

Guilty. These are the ones I have wallspace for. Still need bayos for my Enfield No.5 and my AR-15.

Nice collection, rondog!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Nice collection, rondog!
    Thanks! Wife thinks there's something wrong with me.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Obviously she doesn't get the POINT!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    You are lucky, rondog, LOML is absolutely convinced something is wrong with me! But she puts up with me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three.
    Saw a guy at the range with a M-44 Russian carbine. Shooting with the bayonet out. Had some cool aperture sights on it though, and was banging the gong at 200 yards.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Have a Swiss K31 with the bayonet, M1 Garand, and last but not least a Steyr Model 1912 in 7mm with one. The Steyr actually came with the bayo when I purchased it. Frank