Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Standing Tall Boolits.

Boolit Master
    For my Garand I would not take the same care with PC. It isn't capable of MOA shooting and with my eyes and open sights just doesn't make sense to build precise loads. Kinda like my pistols.

For the .308 I am bench shooting for smallest groups I can get. The goal is consistent sub MOA groups out to 300yd and 2MOA at 500 and 600yd. I am not there yet, but, I am close.

So, I try to minimize any differences in bullets. Standing them for baking is one of those things I do.

PS GC before or after PC. For me it depends on the fit of the GC to bullet shank. All the ones I have now are a tight fit before PC so that's when I fit them.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good idea. I remember shooting 3-shots in under 2" with my friend's Garand and some unmentionable handloads but nowadays, with my 72 yr. eyes, maybe 1'.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    You might try using a silicone ice cube tray...I think that the PC coating is more concentric around the cast as it flows down the sides rather than having the excess accumulate on the bottom side of a cast laying flat in a basket?

You can find the dimensions of these trays in a search, I find these at Amazon but they are available everywhere...

I ordered the trays that said they were safe for baking candy. Just used them for the first time tonight. They worked great, a real time saver. Thanks for the tip!
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    At that price, I'll give those a try, thanks!

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in the PC method on 55gr .225 gc type boolits. Does anyone have an easy way to spray the boolits with PC and then get them in the oven without knocking them over? Also standing them up to start the process seems like it is not going to be easy. Will drilling GC shank size holes in a cookie sheet, turning it upside down, covering it with no stick foil and pushing the boolits through the foil hold them in place for spraying and transfer to the oven? Is there a better way? Also will that keep the PC from bleeding past the gc shank and sticking to the pan. Hoping to learn from others rather than having to mess up a bunch of stuff and learning the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I ordered the trays that said they were safe for baking candy. Just used them for the first time tonight. They worked great, a real time saver. Thanks for the tip!
    Have been using these for a while working on the techniques ..
    After a few uses , a bit of pc can build up on the bottom and the sides , blame some of that on a bit too much to start with , my bad.
    What I have done now is I have punched holes in the bottom of every other square with a 38 spc. shell .
    With that I lay a sheet of Parchment paper first then the pad and set each bullit in so that it sits on the paper utilizing the pad and squares to hold up right , every other one enables me to set the bullit in with out disturbing the existing next to it with my fat fingers.
    So far it has worked very well as the parchment paper is very good at releasing the hot pc ..
    Have gotten a technique down to where I warm them up with a blow gun but not to hot , then dump them in the plastic container for the tumble in the powder method , after they are well coated , pick them up with my gloved fingers and roll them and slightly drop on the bottom of the container with my fingers to clear excess and as I take them over to the tray I am slightly rolling still to cover any open spots as I set them down in the tray.
    Works very well for me so far as it puts a good layer on but not excess for the most part .
    All seems to good for my 30 cal. bullits with the 38 cal punch hole.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456