Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: New to forum.....Bad Water Bill referred me!

Boolit Mold

Question New to forum.....Bad Water Bill referred me!

Hello all. I'm new to casting and could use everyone's help. Please steer me in the right direction. What things to purchase, read, use, etc.
    Today I met with Bad Water Bill and told me if I wanted to learn anything about casting this was the group to join. I'm very happy her recommended this group to me.
    Thank you all
    Jim-Bibs

In Remembrance
    Glad to have you aboard, there's so much information here I'll be surprised if you don't get brain freeze. When someone is just starting out most folks recommend reading what we call "Stickys" which are located at the top of each separate category. If you want to cast, just click on the cast boolits section and notice all the stickys there are. Almost everything a person would want to know is somewhere in the stickys.

A person can learn a lot faster with a mentor, takes a lot of guess work out of the equation....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Banned

Get Lyman's Cast Manual #4 and read as much as possible on this site and read the Cast Bullet notes from the LASC link at the bottom of the page. Better yet have Bill explain it all to you.

Boolit Master
    Welcome! You are in good hands here, just about everything is covered in some form or another. If you can't find what you are looking for after searching ask away, very friendly folks on here.

Banned

bad water bill is a good reference!

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the forum. There is alot of knowledge here in the stickies and past posts to be gleaned from. Also alot of knowledge here to answer posted questions. What are your intrests? Rifle pistol shotguns, match shooting plinking hunting? Theres so many diffrent intrests here and alot that have knowledge of them. Again Welcome to the group.

Banned

ahh,,,,,,, someone that has met Girty is always welcome.

Boolit Buddy

Welcome. Since you have met Bad Water Bill, who is the purtyist, Bill or Gerty?

welcome to the wonderful world of lead - what calibers are you reloading for?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I will be casting 38 special , 44 special/mag and 45colt. All for revolvers.
    I reload however 9, 45acp, .380, .223 and 30.06
    Last edited by Jim-Bibs; 06-16-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Banned

bad water bill is smart, genuine, and plenty of common sense .

Excellent choices -
    Some of the most affordable molds are made by LEE - I like their 6 cavity molds in cost vs production it's tough to beat - you have to buy their handles separately on the 6 cavity but they are included in the 2 cavity

There are several most excellent custom mold makers - Accurate, NOE come to mind immediately.
    RCBS makes wonderful molds as well
    I would caution against ordering new molds from Lyman, NEI.

for being frugal with your lead I like 105 grain Lee SWC mold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243...semi-wadcutter

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458...semi-wadcutter

for your 45 Colt you can do the traditional round nose or if your hunting go with a wide flat nose design
    You can save a little lead if you use a 230 grain but if you have fixed sights you may want to keep to the
    heavier mold
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...ain-round-nose
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...ain-round-nose

for 44 mag - I tend to recommend the Keith SWC's as that is very good for hunting and target shooting
    This is one of my favorites
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191...semi-wadcutter
    Now if you really push your loads to high pressure levels you may want to look at Gas checked boolits
    (note the spelling) - this allows higher velocity but also adds cost - and we here on the forum are very
    wallet conscious (cheap/frugal/scottsman like ) so I tend to work with plain base boolits.

You'll need to lubricate your boolits - we have sections to make your own with many proven recipes.
    or you can buy lube from some of our sponsors (members) or Lee Tumble lube works well.

One of the things you need to do is check the actual size of the chambers/throats/bore of your revolvers.
    It's important that you lead boolit has the correct fit as when too small the gas tends to cut around and cause leading - which is a bad thing.

You can apply the lube in several ways - cake and cookie cutter - Lube sizer - wet tumble. One other method is used by some of us - applying powder coating (PC) - (like on your lawn furniture) - it works well for most of us.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-Bibs View Post
    Hello all. I'm new to casting and could use everyone's help. Please steer me in the right direction. What things to purchase, read, use, etc.
    Today I met with Bad Water Bill and told me if I wanted to learn anything about casting this was the group to join. I'm very happy her recommended this group to me.
    Thank you all
    Jim-Bibs
    welcome aboard!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    bad water bill is a good reference!

Dang it Lloyd after all dese yers U still kante re membr da name B spelt BIG B ad BIG W ater BIG B ill.

Duz I got ta send Girty up dere agin.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

If you can't find out what you need from all these...'dirty ole brass stuffers' above...well...you just ask me. I am as full of spit as anyone else around here!

Pull up a comfy chair and crack a cold one...you are going to be here a while!

OS OK...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    B gentle wit da new guy az he shud hav kalled hizn self BIG bekoz he standz 6'6 and probabli waiz about 350 without no bakin.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome aboard! Theres lots of good info in the stickys. Feel free to ask questions. Don't let the few snooty remarks that you will get bother you. Learn to post pictures, we like pictures! See ya around!

Heck yeah...we like pic's., most of us can't read! Lot's of pic's. please!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard.The folks here are the real deal.What they don`t know ain`t worth knowing.Have a little talk with Girty and have her see to it that Bill behaves himself.Snicker,snicker.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck