RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: handgun shot shell recipes ?

Boolit Master

I have to ask, "glance off into your radiator". Wouldn't be any voice of experience here would there.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I have a set of the RCBS 45 ACP shotshell dies. I use 30-06 or 308 brass cut to length. The dies neck down the forward portion of the brass, ahead of the chamber, and round the mouth down to resemble a round nose bullet. The loaded cases look very similar to the CCI shot shells.
    I found better shot patterns using .410 wads (cut to length) instead of just cardboard over-powder wads. For a top wad I use a 44 mag case to punch wads from a piece of primer box cardboard, no sealant required.
    I'd have to look up the powder charge, but mine all cycle the action (the commercial CCI shotshells also cycle the action) in my 1911.

It really impresses friends when I can shoot skeet with my .45 (I don't tell them at first that I have shotshells loaded.)

For .41 magnum I made a wad punch from a trimmed down 8x57 STEEL case, sharpened with a L.E.Wilson hand held chamfer tool. This cuts a .415" card wad. I started with plastic coffee can lids but found that cardboard from .22 ammo cartons works as well. I prime unsized brass, add 6 grs Unique, put a wad over the powder. Then add enough #12 shot (me too) to 1/8" of the mouth, another wad then a medium roll crimp. I seal the mouth with liquid Alox. I only kill poisonous snakes if found in the yard. If they are on the porch I knock them off with a broom first. Anywhere else on the farm I leave them be. The Missus on the other hand would drive 20 miles to kill one-her hate/fear of poisonous snakes is THAT strong. I forget to tell her when I see them...Best,Thomas. Granny just used her garden hoe!

#12 shot source

Rio offers 12ga shells loaded with #12shot-I get mine that way. One box of 25 will give you more shot than you will ever need for handgun shot loads. But first use some on clays with your shotgun- wow. Smokes them! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

I use 45C with a 410 shot cup with an inverted plain base gas check over 6 grains of titegroup.I cut the shot cup down to about a 1/16 below the rim fill her up with # 10 lead shot and insert the inverted gas check and put a slight roll crimp to hold everything together.Good for about 25 feet on birds and snakes
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the shotshells for pistols thread. Chocked full of great information. Lots of reading, but we'll worth the time. CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    .357 brass with 5 gr Red Dot with over Powder card cut from ammo box flap. (Cut using a .357 casing on the end grain of a 2x4) then filled to about 1/16" from top with #8 shot .Same type of card overshot only this one is pre-treated with a finger smeared coating both sides with some Ben's Red. Then a hard crimp. Then sealed with a drop of BLL. Test results to follow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160820_110007.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	174811
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1471710020030417168415.jpg  
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12