Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 243Win from 22/250???

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

243Win from 22/250???

I am away from my reference books so I am unable to research this myself. I have a swag of 22/250 brass and a new Reloader wanting to load 243

I know the 22/250 is based on the 250 Savage Case and the 243 on the 308Win, buttttt isnt yhe 308 based on the Savage case in the first place?

The young guy has a family and is short on funds so I would like to help him out if possible.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

I think off the top of my head the 22-250 is shorter than the 243 case is. And expanding it up may make it even shorter. 308 win can be used to make 243 but may beed beck turned to thin the thickened necks.

Boolit Grand Master

22/250 case length is 1.912" Max

243 case length is 2.045" Max

Thanks, thought so. If it sounds too easy it usually is, haha. Back to the drawing board, haha!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    It isn't a big difference in length, and would be fine with many cartridges. But the .243 is often loaded to great intensity, and with thin jacketed bullets. I also have figures which make the .22/.250 brass several thousandths thinner just in front of the solid web. I don't know how universal this is between brands, and the .22/.250 is a high pressure cartridge too. But I think two possibly minor deficiencies add up to something best avoided. It isn't like .243 brass is hard to find or unduly expensive.

Yep 243 brass is easy enough to come by, it was just that I have buckets of 22/250 brass that I will need two lifetimes to use up.