Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead-Linotype alloy question

Boolit Master
    I haven't found anything the 45 acp don't like as long as it fits . I'm not that complicated .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by keith type View Post
    Been casting for pistol a good while, .38/.357, 9mm, and .45 Auto.

Having discovered a while back that Wheel Weights are not to be trusted, too time consuming to "sort" the zinc from the lead... I just don't mess with WW's anymore.

What I have settled on is Linotype, mixed with old soft lead vent covers I pick up at the scrap yard.

The mix of lead to linotype I have been using is 1 pound of Linotype, to 2 pounds of lead. This seems to make great, hard bullets for all 4 cartridges mentioned above. (I was using a 1-1 lino/lead ratio, but thought it a bit much.)

My question is could I mix 3 pounds of lead, to one pound of linotype for .45 ACP?

I only push my .45 ACP at 760-800 fps, enjoy the lighter target velocity loads at the range. (Shooting 220-230 grain bullets exclusively.) My 9mm, and .357 Mag loads I push at 1000+ fps.

Not sure my understanding of alloy charts can help me, I have no lead hardness tester to help out. Just need someone who might have advice they can give me on my use of lino/lead mix.

Kevin
    I mix 1lb lino to 5lbs range lead. Gives me 18bhn with the saeco lead tester.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12