Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: .22 Hornet Loads

Boolit Mold

.22 Hornet Loads

I have searched through the posting but have not found what I'm looking for.
    I have a CZ Brono Mod #2 in .22 Hornet. 14 in twist.
    I would like to cast for it.
    Anyone have any good recomendations for me?
    Mould numbers boolit weight.
    Powders and load info.

Thanks
    Jon
    Jon Welda
    CW5 USA Ret.
    weldaj@outlook.com

Boolit Master
    Jon

Don't really know where to start to help. Lots of good moulds but I have only used the two I have. About the only universal hint with Hornet is use small pistol primers and don't go too heavy on the Boolit. Some people have a problem with brass life, keep the sizing to a minimum. I have a single shot so sometimes I don't size at all or only neck size and never crimp. Groups are under 2 inches but none under one inch yet.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

What do you want to do with it? When I got a .22 Hornet, I wanted it to replace .22 LR rimfires and it's easy to do with cast. If you're looking for full power Hornet loads with cast, someone else will need to chime in.

The Lee Bator that Midsouth shoots does very well in my 1 in 16" Hornets with 5.5 grains of 2400. I have the 45 grain WFN from NOE, mine is plain based that is an awesome squirrel bullet with two grains of Bullseye.
    Last edited by richhodg66; 06-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Boolit Mold
    thanks guys
    Your help is appreciated.
    Replacing .22lr is a thought.
    Was looking for moulds on the lighter side. 50 gr or less. The twist rate suggests light boolets.
    I will try the Lee Bator and see what I can do with it.
    Thanks again
    Jon
    Jon Welda
    CW5 USA Ret.
    weldaj@outlook.com

Banned

I haven't tried it, but that Lyman 37 grain bullet (225307??) is said to be a very good bullet.

Despite the fact that the Bator is 55 grains nominally, it is actually shorter than the Lyman 225438 which is also a good bullet, but RN profile, so for a hunting bullet, not as good.

With 1.5 grains of Bullseye, all the bullets I've tried are squirrel loading accurate at 25 yards without gas checks. The NOE bullet works best because it is plain based from the get go, but the others do fine too.

Moderator Emeritus

I am reasonably sure midsouth doesn't sell, what we know as the Bator, anymore.

This listing has the part number associated with the Bator and is "out of stock and is not available for backorder"
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...old-C225-55-RF

This listing, even though includes "bator" in the discription, has the Lee part number associated with the RCBS clone boolit that is now in Lee's standard inventory (C225-55-RF), which is not short and fat, like the Bator should be.
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...old-C225-55-RF
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I hope someone decides to make another production run of them. It's a great design. For all I know, the new design may be just as good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I hope someone decides to make another production run of them. It's a great design. For all I know, the new design may be just as good.
    You quote the bator as being 55 gr., But of the several bators (from different production runs) that I have, they are 48gr to 51gr.

The Lee RCBS clone, is above 55gr I believe...maybe gettin close to 60

So, I'd conclude, they'll be better for an AR, but worse for slow twist Hornet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    You quote the bator as being 55 gr., But of the several bators (from different production runs) that I have, they are 48gr to 51gr.

The Lee RCBS clone, is above 55gr I believe...maybe gettin close to 60

So, I'd conclude, they'll be better for an AR, but worse for slow twist Hornet.
    My limited experience is with the RCBS 55 FN in my 16 twist hornet. While accuracy was not great (lousy castings), there was no sign of boolit instability. I don't thing the heavier boolit design in the slow twist hornet is any problem. A 14 twist is pretty fast for a hornet. There is little muzzle blast to destabilize the boolit. I was getting great accuracy over long distance with the 60gr Hornady spire point. Your mileage may vary.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    For hunting I would go with the NOE 22-45 WFN or the NOE 225107 copy. I have been putting a hurting on the red squirrels that are trying to tear my shop apart with both boolits. The 22-45 hits them like a 10 pound hammer at 1000FPS or so.

Boolit Buddy
    I have thé same rifle than you, never good accuracy with cast bullets ,i use an CBE 22_40grs with checks size to 225
    I think it's thé long throat
    Good luck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    For hunting I would go with the NOE 22-45 WFN or the NOE 225107 copy. I have been putting a hurting on the red squirrels that are trying to tear my shop apart with both boolits. The 22-45 hits them like a 10 pound hammer at 1000FPS or so.
    Plus 1 on the NOE 45 grain WFN. That little thing kills way beyond its size, even at the low velocities I shoot them at. Fox squirrels drop where they're hit.

Quote Originally Posted by primersp View Post
    I have thé same rifle than you, never good accuracy with cast bullets, I use an CBE 22_40grs with checks size to 225
    I think it's thé long throat
    Good luck
    Has anyone tried larger boolits to better fill large or long throats? My rifle has a large and long throat. To guide the bullet into the bore concentrically, I use a paper cup fitted into an unsized neck. Seems to work - accuracy with j-words is great. Now if I could fit a larger diameter boolit to the neck, the same should be achieved. I want to try the same paper cup guide for cast with a harder alloy.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

My Ruger 7722 hornet is also 14 twist. It shoots 225462 (about 58 gn) with reasonable accuracy, about 2moa. I don't have the note book close by so no powder charge except to say h4198 was doing the job.