MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Experience with Kano Kroil in the Bore

My Experience with Kano Kroil in the Bore

Hi, All -

I have two Ruger revolvers in 357 - Security Six and Redhawk. Upon cleaning and brushing each bore with Hoppes, I noticed some residual deposits in each bore. Appeared to be residual small, but numerous, amounts/deposits of lead fouling. I started researching for a good lead solvent to purchase but came across a couple of reports of folks using Kano Kroil to remove lead fouling. Since I had some Kroil in the garage, I gave it a try.

Sprayed some Kroil in each bore and let them set for 20 minutes. Followed by about 10 strokes of a bronze brush followed by a dry patch. In each case, the dry patch came out pretty dirty on the first push, then after that, nothing more.

So, I then used a bore light to examine each bore carefully. The result - absolutely spotless, shiny and bright bores. Couldn't be better.

I've read that Kroil is not a solvent, but rather a penetrant that loosens the deposits so as to allow the brush and patch to remove them.

In any event, the Kano Kroil I had on hand in the garage worked real well for me. Didn't have to buy anything more to do the job.............

All the Best -

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 06-07-2016 at 08:16 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Kroil is good stuff, use it at work and home all the time.

Boolit Mold
    We use copper solvent in conjunction with Kroil to clean our precision rifles at my work... I don't know of anything that works better, faster. It has become my favorite gun cleaning friend by far.

Boolit Master

through great skill and determination I was able to lead my Marlin 45 Colt bore for about 3 inches ahead of the chamber. To cut to the chase, I finally ran a sopping wet patch through and let it sit horizontally for the night. Got a bunch out but needed to do it again. After two tries barrel was back to 'clean.'

Heard some stories that after a number of months all the junk came out. Kroil is penetrating oil and needs time to get under the leading or 'coppering' in the barrel.

I'm sold on it too
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    I've been wondering about this stuff. Just haven't had a chance to try it out. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Boolit Master

Will other penetrating oils work the same way?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't tried other penetrating oils on leaded barrels, but on rusty stuff; nuts, screws, etc.. Kroil in the same situation seems to work better, but I have not done any side by side testing. Kroil has worked for me on most leading as the other members describe. I've read that it "penetrates" below the lead, between the lead and steel of the barrel and is loosened. Seems to work that way for me...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

I use it everywhere and am always low on it---GREAT STUFF.

Speaking of the oil that creeps...

I think it was funny when they would use "Kano Pete" (a doll) in their literature. Now he was creepy!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Will other penetrating oils work the same way?
    ATF and acetone mixed 50-50 comes really close and is lots cheaper. But must be used with adequate ventilation. Kroil is SAFER!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

A good inexpensive solvent is Tops Engine Cleaner and about 20% Kroil. My normal solvent, but a bit more expensive, is Shooter's Choice mixed with about 10% Kroil.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I buy KROIL by the gallon to save... Refillable small containers are scattered at home, in the workshop, toolboxes, and range kits... Spray bottles take care of any duties the aerosol cans would be needed for.
    I like it a lot.

Boolit Bub
    Where's the best place to buy? I'm always looking to make my life easier when it comes to cleaning barrels and feel like I've tried just about everything and might as well give KROIL a go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    I buy KROIL by the gallon to save...
    Where do you get Kroil by the gallon?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I have used Kroil for years in another hobby I'm involved with...I restore antique farm engines (the big flywheel kind that "hit and miss")...they are often frozen up solid from many years of laying in a ditch or being buried when uncovered...I've tried every kind of product and process to loosen stuck parts and Kroil is far and away the best...be careful of one thing...since it "creeps" it is better if you can pull the wooden parts off as Kroil can sort of work it's way under and into the wood and stain it....I've not had it harm any metal parts but am not certain about aluminum... First pic...as it came out of the ground..second pic after much Kroil and lots of labor to restore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailedD2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	169792

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captureD43.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	169793

Boolit Master

Wow, that is amazing. How long did it take you to get it in this shape?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    my experience with kroil

i bought a gallon can 20 odd years ago and sort of forgot about it . quite a few years later i found the empty can while cleaning up around the shop .
    it does such a good job of wicking into tiny spaces it wicked itself threw the soldered seam of the can .

i learned my lesson , i poured the replacement can into a seamless container

Off and on about 5-6 months ...at "hobby speed"...they are really pretty simple...just got to not force things...lots of Kroil, some heat...tapping and more tapping....The current "thing" is to not paint and "as new restore"..just to get them running and leave them as they were found .... but sometimes, as with this one things were so badly broken and missing and stuck it had to have paint..all in the eye of the beholder...sort of like a really old gun...is it best left alone and made to function or is it better with the wood parts cleaned up and re finished and the metal cleaned ,polished and reblued.....I got some youtubes of some of them running if you want to look (only a few there)... the subject is Zigmond Dorfman

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Yes, I am a retired Tool Maker and I second the motion.
    Great stuff.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin