RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22 hornet 64 gr cast load data needed

Boolit Buddy

22 hornet 64 gr cast load data needed

I shoot a savage model12 in 22 hornet, that just finished, 1/16 twist, 22" long.
    I have supply of 64 grain cast, powder coated bullets. What load data is recommended with this heavy of a bullet?
    THANKS

Boolit Grand Master
    The heaviest cast bullet the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th ed. lists for the .22 Hornet is 55 grains. I kind of doubt that you will get a 64 gr boolit to stabilize with a 16" twist, but you might.

My guess is that a slow for the Hornet powder will be needed.

Robert

Banned

I doubt you'll stabilize anything that heavy In that twist.
    I doubt my 223 with a 12 would stabilize it well at jacketed velocity's.

Boolit Buddy
    Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us whose bullet it is and it's overall length?
    Benny

Banned

If you're looking for a bullet, try the Lee Bator. It's nominally a 55 grainer, but is short enough that it shoots very well in my old 1 in 16" .22 Hornets.

Whereabouts in the Flint Hills are you?

Boolit Grand Master

The old Lee Bator had a blunt nose, the new Lee Bator is a close copy of the RCBS with a longer nose. It is doubtful you will get good results with the boolit you are asking about.
    I shoot the Lyman 45gr RN in my 22 K-Hornet with WC680 behind it. This powder is similar to Accurate 1680. Not the fastest load but very accurate.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't even bother wasting the powder for such an experiment. I shoot some 60 grain bullets in my Hornet, but it has a 1-9" twist, and even then at Hornet velocities they are barely stabilized. I would vote for the Bator too as it's the most consistent performer for me in a few .22's (but then again mine must be the older more blunt design).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    The old Lee Bator had a blunt nose, the new Lee Bator is a close copy of the RCBS with a longer nose. It is doubtful you will get good results with the boolit you are asking about.
    I shoot the Lyman 45gr RN in my 22 K-Hornet with WC680 behind it. This powder is similar to Accurate 1680. Not the fastest load but very accurate.
    I thought that mold you reference was a different design entirely, not a change to the Bator. I ordered mine from Midsouth and they still show it in stock.

Great bullet in the Hornet. Despite the 55 grain weight, it is actually shorter than the Lyman 225438, which also shoots well. I like my NOE 45 grain WFN best, but it doesn't want to feed in my bolt gun, just the single shot. I also only have the plain based version so slow speeds are a must.

My 16 twist hornet stabilizes Hornady 60gr spire points just fine. That with a load of 13.1gr of Lil'Gun so it's quite fast. Very accurate!

I should hasten to add that my hornet has quite a large chamber and I was using R-P cases which have a larger capacity than others. A Remington case slipped in once and the primer pocket opened up. I've never lost a case to head separation.

I would think your cast boolit would be shorter than the spire point so it might work but you may need to keep the velocity quite high. I would try them in a heart beat! But if you don't want to try them, I would be happy to have them (shipping is a bit of a problem though).
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-11-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''