Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Smith & Wesson 686-3 8-3/8 barrel, What's it worth?

Smith & Wesson 686-3 8-3/8 barrel, What's it worth?

I located a Smith & Wesson 686-3 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel yesterday. It has the wooden grips with finger grooves from the factory and has the crescents in the rib for scope rings. Box and papers are there. Not certain if rings come with it or not.
    It has been shot no more than 50 times. Probably less.
    It was purchased new by a collector because of the finger groove grips and barrel length. He is now raising some money for a project of his and is making this gun available.
    I have started the deal on it but would like some input on price. Condition of the gun is superb.
    I really like the long barrel. I had a 27 years ago with the long barrel but had to sell it for hospital bills.
    What is this gun worth?
    Last edited by tazman; 06-03-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Master

saw one at a gun show last week he wanted 1200.00 for it. No box or papers

Boolit Buddy
    From what I understand the 686-3 and -4 are the picks of the litter for 686's. Had a couple of no dash ones that were not nearly as wel built. I know of the modifcations of the no dash since I had one done but even with that the could not compare with the -3 and-4. I paid $600.00 for my 4 inch -3 with box, papers and the un-opened cleaning tools. That was a bit before the crazy times for older Smiths. I saw a nice 4 inch one on consignment here in Colorado this week for $650.00. I would not go more then $700.00 if the long barell is what you want. Those grips are worth about about $200.00 now.

Boolit Master

A new 686 6" barrel is $759.00 locally. I don't the rarity of the grips and 8 3/8" barrel.

Boolit Master
    If it's what you want, the scarcity of the 8-3/8" might be worth extra to you. I would take it immediately to the bandsaw I shot one once, and it was extremely muzzle heavy, the 4" 586/686's balance beautifully.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I came across a gun such as that, I wouldn't have any problem paying $8-900 for it, but then I would sell the grips and put some factory magna type on it.
    I do have a 686 8&3/8. It balances well for me and the extra weight tames most loads I run thru it.

Boolit Master
    I've owned three of them (well, one was a 586). There ain't no tamin', it's a .357mag for crying out loud.

The finger groove grips sound like the "Combat" style grips from the 90's. NO longer made and nice examples are bringing increasingly higher prices in the collector community. $200 for a nice set is not unusual. If You do buy the gun....KEEP the original grips. They allow for a much higher resale down the road as the gun is factory complete.

I just sold an 8 3/8" 686-1 LNIB with all papers and cleaning kit for $1150.

Collectability regarding Smith revolves and autos is generally tied to production numbers, rare options, as well as how long that model was offered. In reality few people want the long barrelled full lug guns...FAR too front heavy. Give those guns 20 years and they are now COLLECTIBLE.

FN in MT

S&WCA #2428

Boolit Master
    I all know is my 586-3 8 3/8 was 425 new.Bought it for my deer hunting gun use it for that purpose for many years.it allways shot better than the no dash 686 I have.now days they both kill paper with cast boolits.the 586 is still my favorite handgun.i still watch for a very nice 6 or 4 inch 586-3.I have them with prices from 11 to 1500 now days with the 8 3/8 barrel.from what I wunderstand there were not many made in the 586 or 868 in the longer barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    At the gun show I went to a couple months back a 586 8 3/8 was offered for 950 no box no accessories. I'd pay a little more for stainless and the box adds 75-100 dollars.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    The 686-3 with the factory broached/scalloped rib came with specific Millet rings...They were only made in 8-3/8"...I believe there were only 1,100 made...

Last one I saw on GunBroker with box, papers and rings went $1,500...

Here is the one I bought for Dad (used) back around 1991...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34opvd4.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	169662
    Last edited by Salmoneye; 06-06-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Messed up a numeral

Except that I don't know about the rings, that is the gun exactly. Nice to know it may be worth considerably more than I will be paying for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Nice to know it may be worth considerably more than I will be paying for it.
    On the right day, with the right buyer, WITH the rings...

Rings are not made the same any longer, and though the new style can be reshaped to work, they are not an off the shelf fit...

Post #33 in the below thread at another site has the correct answer to making the 'new' style fit the factory broached Smith barrels:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...unt-rings.html