Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alliant Powder .. Worst answer ever from a powder company

Alliant Powder .. Worst answer ever from a powder company

I supplied Alliant the bullet, bullet type , case , primer, revolver, barrel length and the caliber (41 magnum)
    And this was their reply .. So much for ask the expert ..

Load data is based on the bullet and its design, not the powder alone.
    We suggest that you contact the manufacturer for data on their bullet.

Thanks,

Shoot Straight
    DuaneVB
    CCI/Speer/Alliant
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID

Boolit Master
    What did you ask them?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    So? They don't do pressure tests to order. Their published data is only a guide. They won't recommend a load they haven't tested. What did you expect?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

No manufacturer of reloading components will supply you load data for anything they have not tested in their lab. It is foolish to think they would do otherwise.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

They gave you the correct answer. They don't make the bullets so it's best to contact the bullet manufacturer. You must have been asking for something they haven't tested before. Post what you asked them and many of us will check our resources and may find a load for you.

Banned

Why is everyone so freaking scared to do some load development? Start low and move on up with caution. Here is what they publish for the 41 mag with 2400 and if you have a bullet anywhere from 200 to 220 you should be able to figure it out, if you don't have the two Speer bullets in question. I have a whole lot of manuals ans still have to work it out from time to time.

RELOADER'S GUIDE

Alliant Powder Reload Recipes

Recipe(s)

Caliber Bullet Case Minimum OAL
    (inches)
    Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
    (grains)
    Velocity
    (fps)
    Notes
    41 Rem. Magnum 200 gr Speer JHP-SWC Winchester 1.59 6 CCI 300 2400 16.8 1,311 -
    41 Rem. Magnum 210 gr Speer GDHP 1.575 1.575 6 CCI 300 2400 19 1,223 -

Boolit Master
    On the Alliant website under "Books and Instruction" you will find a link to the Speer Reloading Manual. In the "Resources" section they offer a downloadable Alliant Reloaders guide and will send you a hard copy if you wish.
    I know these days you don't necessarily have to own a paper manual but if you did, you might already have an answer to your question.
    Sorry. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Boolit Grand Master

There are also a lot of old manuals available for dowload in .pdf format. I have over fifty of them in my Dropbox folder. And they were all free. Almost every Alliant manual from 1995 on is available this way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiver58 View Post
    I supplied Alliant the bullet, bullet type , case , primer, revolver, barrel length and the caliber (41 magnum)
    And this was their reply .. So much for ask the expert ..

Load data is based on the bullet and its design, not the powder alone.
    We suggest that you contact the manufacturer for data on their bullet.

Thanks,

Shoot Straight
    DuaneVB
    CCI/Speer/Alliant
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID
    Did you ask for a load for their competitors bullets? Why would they give you a load for someone else's bullets? Did you ask for a cast bullet load? Did you tell them the alloy, hardness, lube, diameter? Did you think to ask them what they would think would be a good bullet and powder for you to use in your gun?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There are also a lot of old manuals available for dowload in .pdf format. I have over fifty of them in my Dropbox folder. And they were all free. Almost every Alliant manual from 1995 on is available this way.
    A while back Alliant discovered their published loads for Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum were, to their embarrassment, over current pressure standards. Use older Blue Dot/.41 Mag data with caution.

Or was it that in today's litigious society they lowered the pressure standards for 41 magnum? It did not just happen with the 41. Some Green Dot 12 ga loads disappeared along with a few others. Some of the Blue Dot loads I used to shoot for 10mm are no longer in the books either.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Or was it that in today's litigious society they lowered the pressure standards for 41 magnum?
    Manufacturers might reduce their load data but I don't think that would change the SAAMI spec.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Or was it that in today's litigious society they lowered the pressure standards for 41 magnum? It did not just happen with the 41. Some Green Dot 12 ga loads disappeared along with a few others. Some of the Blue Dot loads I used to shoot for 10mm are no longer in the books either.
    It's not a pressure standard issue. What's happened is they now use piezoelectric transducers to measure pressure. This gives them a real time pressure curve. So if anything is dangerous in the curve they don't publish the load anymore. It's not simply a matter of peak pressure.

Blue Dot has always been a wonky powder. Creates a big flash and lots of noise. But it can go wrong quickly w/ it. I have little experience w/ it but it's like H110/W296 where it has a fairly small operational window.

Boolit Master

Look at 700x data for 20 ga. loads. Today, you won't find any listed. When I first started loading 20s, there were several loads listed. It wasn't peak pressure that caued the loads to be delisted. It was the speed of the pressure spike.

I was looking for load data for Power Pro 300-mp , their web page had nothing on 41 mag loads. Lee , Sierra and others provide loads for bullets they do not make or make molds for . I thought it was a very simple thing to ask under their "ask an expert link" When I have emailed Sierra for load data they sent me load data. I'm not afraid to develop loads I just feel a powder company would have better resources than I.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Why is everyone so freaking scared to do some load development?
    Lack of:
    * Reference Library
    * Powder Types
    * Burn Rate Comparisions
    * No Chronograph
    * Range Time to develop
    Easier to just make a post and give me the answer
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I grew up hearing the statement land of opportunity, I think it should be officially changed to land of liability. I have come to the realization that it is dangerous to recommend a restaurant!

Boolit Grand Master

With enough manuals, either hard copy (my preference) or electronic and a fair bit of experience with a given powder and cartridge it's possible and sometimes necessary to SWAG a good starting load if all the components are suitable for the task at hand. That said, best advice is to read a manual and consult it often. Start low, work your way up carefully. Then read another, and another. If you can't find a manual that lists the load you're looking for then maybe it's best to use a load you CAN find published data for. With a dozen or so manuals at my disposal and 30+ yrs of experience at the loading bench I occasionally take a SWAG at a load but only after hours of research using published data and my load notes and of course; starting low and working up carefully.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

You'd be lucky to get a powder company to admit their powder explodes!

I agree with everyone else start low.

Or post your question here and I'll bet you'll get some load data close to what your after.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Lack of:
    * Reference Library
    * Powder Types
    * Burn Rate Comparisions
    * No Chronograph
    * Range Time to develop
    Easier to just make a post and give me the answer
    And it's not wrong, I think the op just didn't approach it in the best way. Since Alliant didn't come through, post #1 should have included all pertinent data ("here's what I got, here's what I wanna do, whaddya think?").
    Anyway, looks like it's straightened out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast