WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alliant Powder .. Worst answer ever from a powder company

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It's not a pressure standard issue. What's happened is they now use piezoelectric transducers to measure pressure. This gives them a real time pressure curve. So if anything is dangerous in the curve they don't publish the load anymore. It's not simply a matter of peak pressure.

Blue Dot has always been a wonky powder. Creates a big flash and lots of noise. But it can go wrong quickly w/ it. I have little experience w/ it but it's like H110/W296 where it has a fairly small operational window.
    Back in the mid 80’s I learned that BD was a very fickle powder. I no longer use BD since my pressure excursion with it in handgun cartridges. It may be a fine powder in a shotshell so I have resolved to leave it all for the shotgunners among us.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 09-09-2021 at 05:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    It is my understanding that part of what the newer test methods showed were undesirable short duration "spikes". I seem to recall that Larry Gibson has found some loads with Herco with such behavior.

At one time, ammo & guns relied on proof testing. Copper/lead crusher testing was an attempt to better quantify and standardize margins between safe and unsafe loads. However, the way that crusher testing was used was later found to be be much less effective at ensuring safe margins than desired.

We need lab grade testing with good equipment to ensure powder / cartridge / bullets combinations are "well behaved".

Tools like Quickload are very helpful when the desired powder has been shown to be "well behaved" for the application and the powder is in the database. 300MP has very limited test data and it is not in the Quickload database.

When I was looking at 300MP it was to get away from H110/WW296 (I used them for years but eventually decided they were too finicky for my liking). Lil gun has a less than sterling reputation and I really did not want to go from the frying pan to the fire. Eventually I found some powders that do the job and seem more predictable. WC 680 (milsurp version of AA 1680) that is a little slower and Heavy Pistol (very similar to AA #9) that is just a little faster.

300MP might have been a great fit for my needs, but the lack of data and not being in Quickload are big issues for me.

Boolit Master
    didn't they want to work up a load for you ,why would they?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234