RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 Federal

Boolit Bub

338 Federal

Just became aware of the .338 Federal round... don't know why I've never paid any attention to it, but it suddenly popped up out of my blind spot and has me intrigued... anyone have some good experiences reloading and casting for this caliber? Looks like it would make a great medium to heavy hunting round with 200gr+ boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

May want to consider the 338 RCM as well. I don't think either one has proven super popular.

Heres an interesting article

http://gunsmagazine.com/kinder-gentler-338s/

Boolit Buddy
    I would guess the reason for not being popular is that shooting jacketed bullet's they get blown away by much larger cartridge's in the same caliber. I just browse through my Lyman manual now and then and using cast bullet's seem's to move velocities of the 358 Federal. I have a hard time understanding why people load large case's with cast bullet's! I would guess that the limiting factor seem's to be that the slow powder's that make the magnum's scream, don't seem to work with cast bullet's! Seem's the target is around 2100 fps max too. I was thinking about that recently and someone was talking about shooting heavy bullet's to something like 600 yds at steel target's. But these loads all seem to be being fired from factory rifles. It seem's that the rate of twist doesn't matter with cast bullet's? Seem's everything about cast dis proves every thing I though I understood about bullet's. How can a 200 gr 338 dia bullet be shot 600 yds accurately. With a jacketed bullet, to remain stable, the bullet has to stay super sonic! At a starting velocity of say 2100 fps with a bullet that can't have that great a BC how does it stay stable? My 308 Win with a 190gr RN bullet seem's to shoot that bullet a bit faster than the 30-06 using the same bullet! This confuse's me but I don't dwell on it a lot. i want to hunt with my cast bullet's this year and it's my 308 that I'm gonna use, not the 30-06 even though I do have a nice load worked up for it.

it seem's that every thing I thought I knew about balistic's changed when I went to cast in rifle's!

Boolit Master

I shoot cast out of the Winchester Mag and think the 338 Federal would be the "Katz Meow".
    338, 358 both on the smaller case of the 308 base should be great.
    Same or better performance with less powder.
    Brass availability should never be an issue either.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    when i was looking for the best caliber, i got a tc encore in a 23" MGM barrel(Custom Pistol Barrels | Custom Rifle Barrels) with a 444 marlin, the 338-08(338 fed) was definitely in the top 5. i was looking for the best deer round, j-word and cast, with an occasional black bear thrown in. i almost got the 338 fed. but instead i got the 444 marlin. you don't hear much about it, but those that do sing praises about it.

i think for j-word it goes around 250 yards. it supposedly works well in brush, where i liked to hunt. it shoots like the old '06 recoil wise. and j-word bullets run from 180-250gr and cast boolits run 90-280gr( i think). for short to medium yards, all game on this continent could be taken. and brass is not an issue, take a 308 win, put it into a 338fed sizing die and there you have it.

its seems like a real decent cartridge. it almost beat out my 444. i think if i could choose another, the 338 fed would be it.
    its a shame that federal didn't market it correctly and its a shame neither did the gun companies. i think that a good lever action with a 225gr fn j-word would be perfect.

thats my 2cents on the issue, complain or praise me.... just kiddin'!!!

Vendor Sponsor

It is a very sensible round but maybe just not too exciting. Sensible never is with the general factory ammo buying public. That does not make them bad people. I am sure I am like that with tires and vacuums. If you don't know - you don't know.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    The .338 Federal is a lot like the .358 Win. Excellent cartridges with no pizzaz. They will get the job done with either jacketed or cast bullets and do it efficiently. But gun writers
    and marketing types give them little praise.

I think the.358 might be a slightly better choice as there are a slew of bullets in .35 cal.

Banned

I always thought the .338 Federal was a good idea, but it never caught on it seems.

The .358 is probably the awesomest cast rifle hunting round there is, and any .38 revolver bullet works as a plinker bullet in it.

Boolit Bub
    Wow, looks like lots of good info came in while I've been out and about...
    I've always been a 30 caliber guy. Never had much use for anything else. I do understand the value of large and heavy projectiles, however, only for me that always meant it had to have at least a "4" after the "."
    Only recently, since I've started reading up on casting, reduced loads and such, have I started to look at other calibers. I like the idea of a short OAL with the capability of a heavy payload. My interest in this was sparked this past winter when I had the opportunity to hunt, successfully I might add, with an integrally suppressed Ruger 77/44. I fell in love with the idea of an integral rifle, and began searching for my ideal setup. At first, I was dead set on the 77/44, with its large slug, and still may end up with one. The problem is that the setup is good for pretty much one thing... quiet, accurate, hard hitting, sub 150-200 yard shots. Even with full powered loads, the .44 Magnum isn't ideal for much outside of 200 yards. The bullet drop is too great for my taste. I know the same can be said of any subsonic load, which gives the .44 a big advantage when you're talking strictly subsonic, and within 150 yards or so. I don't only hunt in those conditions, so I started looking at other options. I already have a 30-06, so that was an obvious choice, with a good sized payload for the caliber, and, if built right, the option to use full powered loads for long range shooting. The big case is a bit of a drawback, for reduced loads, but nothing that can't be overcome with the right powder and load. Another drawback is the smaller bullet with reduced loads... not as effective as the big .44 caliber bullet options, but plenty effective for any NA big game when loaded to full potential. I also toyed with the idea of a .444 Marlin, but it still lacks in the longer range department.
    .308 is another option, but since I have the 06 already I would most likely use that instead of buying a new rifle if I were going to go with a .30 caliber. The trade offs don't justify a new rifle if I already have one that will do the same thing. I also have a .303 Lee Enfield sporter, which is close enough to the other two .30's to be a toss up. The advantage there is the simple fact that it is an inexpensive platform for modifications. It also offers some slightly larger bullets than the other 30 calibers.
    That brings me to the .338 Federal, and the .358 Winchester.
    Just from what I've read in this thread, I really like what they have to offer. I've never even considered those calibers in any flavor, until now. They both seem like they offer what I'm after... good full power ballistics for longer range and/or bigger game along with plenty of weight for an effective short range reduced load.
    I'm going to definitely look further into these two. Of the two, the .358 Winchester looks more promising, but its still too early to tell. I do have .357 and 9mm revolvers so the comment above about plinking loads applies here too...

Get your Enfield rebored to 35-303 by JES or a.308 to .358 win ($250) and live happy. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    That's actually something I was contemplating... I saw a link to the JES website just yesterday... wondering if I should try to find a cheap Ishapore 2A 7.62 and go .358 Win or use my No 4. I imagine the ballistics are similar enough between 35-303 and .358 Win that it's pretty much a toss-up. Obviously the .308 has a bit of an edge pressure-wise but it doesn't really matter with reduced loads.
    So much more to consider...

Boolit Bub
    The main advantage of the 338 Fed is that you can shoot it out of an AR-10. It's a good candidate for cast bullets, and would make for a good hog or deer gun.

Boolit Bub
    I like the idea of an AR with that kind of horsepower... it would be a very versatile rifle.
    I don't have much use for a 5.56 AR but one in 338 Federal might be something to think about.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1187Shooter View Post
    I like the idea of an AR with that kind of horsepower... it would be a very versatile rifle.
    I don't have much use for a 5.56 AR but one in 338 Federal might be something to think about.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...lr-338l-rifle/

Boolit Master
    I like the .338 Federal, having a Ruger Hawkeye and a Tikka T-3 chambered for it.
    Both rifles shoot really well with jacketed and cast. They are not finicky platforms, shooting well with practically every load I've tried, although I don't generally push cast much above the 2000 fps area. Fit your cast well, and I think you'll find the chambering to be very versatile. I have used cast from 200-275 grains at velocities ranging from approximately 1400-2000fps. Good cast loads in either rifle are expected to group less than 2" @100 yds, favorites group less than 1.5".
    That said, I wish they used a slower twist rate than 1-10"... just a preferrence on my part.
    If a 358 Winchester was available, with it's more cast friendly twist rates, I'd have to recommend it as a "best choice" for all-around use when contemplating a rifle with mainly cast useage.

An nice option with the T-3 is the ability to use a longer magazine capacity design (or modify the existing mag) and increasing the bolt's travel length (modify or change the bolt-stop) to accomodate heavy-for-caliber casts. The 250-300gr moulds available can benefit from the extra case capacity you'll get and the ability to get the base above the shoulder/neck junction is a good thing (rethroating might/will be necessary with some heavies, depending on design). The Ruger's shorter mag's length requirements seem better suited to 200-225 grainers, from that point of view.
    The fast 1-10" twist does allow easy accuracy at reduced velocities with these heavy-weights, so there is a bright side to the factory offerings.

Boolit Bub
    That's some great info, cainttype, I'm a big fan of both of those rifles. I love Rugers, always have, and although I've never owned a Tikka I've got some friends that do, and they are great rifles.
    Time to start thinking about the advantages of buying a new rifle or sending onevof mine out for upgrading.

Boolit Master

I built a 338-08 (338 Federal) using a savage 110 LA receiver and an Adams and Benet barrel. I love this rifle! I had Tom at accurate make me a 300 gr mold that I shoot at 1850 fps and get about 1.5 MOA. There's not a hog on this planet that can stop it!!! Here's a picture of the .338 Fed next to a .338 WM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1929.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	170845

Boolit Master
    I liked the idea of the 338 Fed but didn't like the 10" twist. I opted to send a 7x57 barrel off and had it bored to 338 with a 14" twist. Cut my chamber up to the shoulder with a 338-06 reamer. Case capacity is very close to a 338 Fed.

Im no where near done working up loads yet but I have shot three deer with it and considered performance to be superb.
    Its a light rifle and the 220 gr Lee above 1800 is starting to let you know when it goes off.
    I had Tom at Accurate cut me a 200 gr FN mold for it but haven't shot any yet.

The main reason I went with this setup was I already had brass, mold, dies and a doner Turk rifle. Some people call me cheap but I prefer thrifty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	170846
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Thrifty + Performance is always a good thing! Been thinking about having the take-off Savage 30-06 barrel bored to .338 with a 12" twist. I'd love to have a 338-06 to go with the 338-08!!!

Boolit Bub
    TheCelt, that is just plain mean looking... I like it... what is the twist on the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    I built a 338-08 (338 Federal) using a savage 110 LA receiver and an Adams and Benet barrel. I love this rifle! I had Tom at accurate make me a 300 gr mold that I shoot at 1850 fps and get about 1.5 MOA. There's not a hog on this planet that can stop it!!! Here's a picture of the .338 Fed next to a .338 WM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1929.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	170845