Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Happened! I Shot My Chronograph

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    There are always two kinds of folks. Those that have guns and those that dig. When you fly private planes...there are those that have forgotten to put down their landing gear and those that will. I thought that was a myth. Then my father bought what is known as the "fork tailed Dr. killer". He being a physician it was appropriate. Damned if it wasn't a myth....then I shot my CED M2 Chronograph and now own a LabRadar unit. I look forward to doing a gear up landing soon.
    No, there are folks who say there are two kinds of folks, and those who don't.

Ah, the Beechcraft Bonanza? I wonder if it is true that it has only killed one doctor? It seems to have inflicted a much higher mortality among rock musicians and similar, and there was generally some contributing factor besides the aircraft design. But I repeat myself. I remember seeing an ad in which they said you could just step in and fly, by which they meant it came fully equipped, but to some it may have sounded like something else.

Boolit Buddy

There is a secret handshake for this club.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    No, there are folks who say there are two kinds of folks, and those who don't.

Ah, the Beechcraft Bonanza? I wonder if it is true that it has only killed one doctor? It seems to have inflicted a much higher mortality among rock musicians and similar, and there was generally some contributing factor besides the aircraft design. But I repeat myself. I remember seeing an ad in which they said you could just step in and fly, by which they meant it came fully equipped, but to some it may have sounded like something else.
    The V35, like the IRS, is somewhat unforgiving and being light on the controls, she can be put into a situation where where her structural integrity can be exceeded. You can train yourself to tame the tail waggle but when she dips her wing and you zig when you should have zagged....well, you know.
    [

Moderator Emeritus

This has been the funniest thread in a long time. Thanks for the belly laughs at some of the responses!

Shot my first one first day of use(twice), luckily it was skyscreen rod that took the damage. 10mm 200grn WFN from glock 29 will bend the rod at an 90 degree angle if hit right. I replaced it with a rod from political yard sign of some local yahoo running for office.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I really dont know what to say. I knew this happened, but I didn't know how often...haven't joined the club....yet.

Boolit Master
    Ihave been reloading for over 40 years and never had a chronograph. It is threads like this that keeps from getting one. I have a store near me that sells much cheaper targets. Paper doesn't fight back.

Boolit Master
    It's a sad day when technology obviates a right of passage. It's almost impossible to shoot a LabRadar, well, accidentally anyway. No longer will a father say to a son, "I remember when I shot my first chronograph".
    [

Banned
    I'm just wondering how to score the shot. I've never seen scoring rings on chronographs

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC19011.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	169163I managed to shoot my Chrony F1 with a gas check that came adrift and punched a hole in the LCD screen.

I sourced a replacement screen on e-bay for £20 and it is up and running again.

Much cheaper than paying the shipping costs back to the manufacturer for repair.

ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    Hawkeye- Yes , it is true. They do charge. Last week, I was charged $45 by Oehler.
    I am happy to say it wasn't me that did it. I had a new screen and diffuser in the kit, because I'd done it before.
    I've been shooting AT mine for 30 years, so I guess three screens down is not a bad score.
    I shoot an average of 200 rounds for 2 days per week.
    Have fun,
    Gene
    El plomo ES oro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC19011.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	169163I managed to shoot my Chrony F1 with a gas check that came adrift and punched a hole in the LCD screen.

I sourced a replacement screen on e-bay for £20 and it is up and running again.

Much cheaper than paying the shipping costs back to the manufacturer for repair.

ukrifleman
    Gas check drifted off and did it? That's a wonderful excuse! If I ever shoot something (again) that would have been best if I hadn't, I'm going to use that...wonder if the cops would believe that?
    [

Boolit Master

I didn't foresee such entertaining responses. Thanks.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Mine has suffered minor wounds three times. Recovery has been quick, but whenever I set it up now, the readout says "OH NO! Not you again!"

when will this senseless slaughter end!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Was testing some of the sabot shot gun slugs and got a sky screen housing with 1/2 a sabot. I did get a reading on the shot so sabot hit behind or after the slug. Ive heard of gas checks wads from shotguns, the card wads from BP loads, bullets and patches from muzzle loaders taking screens units out. Had a nut at the club take one of the difusser legs out trying to shoot thru mine brom a bench over.

Boolit Master
    Can't we all just get along...
    [

Boolit Master
    My brother and I went halves and got one of those rcbs ones that.looks like a bullet. First one didnt work out of the box. Replacement worked but have used it a hand full of times and he already had to tear it apart and re solder some wires... pretty sure I am going to shoot the crony but not by accident!

Banned
    You do realize the idea is to hit the target not the chronograph?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Is it true that they charge when they are wounded? I haven't shot mine yet but I have sent the top panels flying from the muzzle blast several times.
    You should always go for the humane kill. Seeing a chrony lying on it side, with display flashing is just too sad for words.

Of course this could all be avoided by putting a target on the dang thing. Some folks couldn't hit a target on their best day.

Or take the Lee Trevino approach and tie a one iron to the chrony. Not even God can hit a one iron.