RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Source for 36 cal Hawken barrels?

Boolit Grand Master

Source for 36 cal Hawken barrels?

Anyone know where I can find a drop in replacement barrel for my 50 cal T/C Hawken, in 36 cal.? For some reason I have a hankering for a 36 cal and sold my Seneca decades ago.

Perm-Banned
    have the oregon rifle barrel co make you one, many here have done just that to the specs they wanted.

Boolit Grand Master
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Green Mountain used to make drop in barrels for all the T/C rifles. Haven't checked them in a while. They aren't that hard to make. I made a .45 barrel with a RB twist for my Lyman Great Plains rifle from a Green Mountain barrel because nobody else made them. GM sold the breech plugs and I used an old RR spike to make the underlug. It wasn't pretty but it shot well.

Boolit Master

Had one and peddled it. Accurate but a .36 hole in a barrel that was one inch across the flats made it weigh a bunch. As suggested, you can assemble one quite easily with parts from Track of the Wolf. They have pretty much everything you would need to make your own. The .36 barrel will be a bit harder to find. I bought my last one from Rice in NC. They will make you whatever you want in a barrel blank. Nice barrels, not cheap, but nice.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Green Mountain stopped making drop-in barrels for T/C's many years ago, so T.O.T.W. would most likely be the best source for a 15/16" bbl in .36cal.

First though, you might want to measure your .50 barrel's thickness, across-the-flats.

(.50 T/C Hawken's were issued with 15/16" bbls; .54's with 1" bbls, all Renegade's had 1" bbls)

So you can obtain the same size bbl, avoiding a barrel channel stock fit issue.

Last edited by pietro; 05-24-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Oregon Barrel Co (The Gun Works) does great work in my opinion. I had Mr Williams build a barrel for my Hawken in .54 cal. High quality and accurate. You send him your stock with the specs you want your barrel built to and he Machines the contour, bores it, rifles it to your specs, and fits it to your stock. New breech plug, under rib, and thimbles. He told me he wanted the stock to ensure proper fit of the barrel lug/key, and make sure the hammer strikes the nipple square. He builds them from .32 cal all the way up to 2 bore.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Ive been there done that. Works great if your looking for a 10-15 pound small bore. It works, but pretty much defeats the purpose. you can have one made easily under 5-6 pounds if done right. You WILL get tired of carrying a chunk gun for squirrel/varminting.

Boolit Buddy
    Oregon Barrel Co. can do a tapered, or octagon to round contour and still provide something that isn't bad to carry. I completely agree that a strait 15/16" or 1" barrel in .36 caliber would be like dragging a boat anchor through the woods. Now that I think about it. An octagon to round small bore barrel with a nice wedding band would look very nice. JMO

Perma-Banned
    i had a 36cal Green Mountain drop-in on a Renegade stock. it had all the grace & ease of handlin' of a fence tampin' bar strapped to a 2x4. if you tried to hunt with it, in about one season you'd either be wore slap out or you'd have arms like Popeye or Alley Oop.

Boolit Buddy
    Look around at pawn shops, gun broker, and such. You may be able to find a light little .32 or .36 cal. for a good bit less than having a barrel built. Normally you can save some hard earned cash if your willing to look around and don't have to have it "right now".

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Theres usually New old stock CVA Varminter/Squirreler .32 (I think 7/8") 1-48 twist on E-Bay Someone must have bought the stock out. I had one a while back, but gave it in a trade I cant even remember now. Ive seen them still offered recently. If you have any skills, with wood, and a few tools, a straight octagon channel is easy with a guide and a router or just float a small barrel in a bigger channel, if your not so particular on looks.

Boolit Master
    Interesring discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Ive been there done that. Works great if your looking for a 10-15 pound small bore. It works, but pretty much defeats the purpose. you can have one made easily under 5-6 pounds if done right. You WILL get tired of carrying a chunk gun for squirrel/varminting.

Amen.

Before I acquired my .36 Seneca (13/16" bbl), I had bought a T/C Hawken online, that sported a drop-in .32 GM 15/16" barrel, for chump change.

After I got & shot it, I found out why it was so inexpensive..................... the .32 was hard for me to load nimbly (YMMV), and it needed a set of wheels to get it around Squill woods painlessly.

Those large barrels with small bores = HEAVY, but might be just the thing for someone with a Squill grove that they're just gonna sit/shoot in, and not move from area to area.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been thinking about a .32 or .36 with in-line ignition, 20 ga primers, quick release breach plug, fiber optics or else a rail for scoping it. Maybe a 24" - 26" barrel. I wonder if I could get a TC encore barrel like their 50, but, set up for .32. I just want a light weight front stuffer for fun. Anybody made one like this? rch

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rhouser View Post
    I have been thinking about a .32 or .36 with in-line ignition, 20 ga primers, quick release breach plug, fiber optics or else a rail for scoping it. Maybe a 24" - 26" barrel. I wonder if I could get a TC encore barrel like their 50, but, set up for .32. I just want a light weight front stuffer for fun. Anybody made one like this? rch
    You would have to get the 50 cal barrel lined to .32 or .36. I's doable.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhouser View Post

the T/C System-1 switch-barrel inline was offered with barrels rangin' from 32cal to 12ga. they come up on Gunbroker occasionally with several barrels at not too unrealistic prices.