Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Reloading Question

Boolit Bub

Reloading Question

Would you please help me with comparing Winchester AutoComp to Hodgdon Tightgroup?
    Which would work best for my needs.

I am reloading: 44 mag, 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim, should that help in your thoughts.

Of the two choices, I would lean towards TiteGroup.

May Liberty Increase!
    First, you have to define your needs. In other words, your question is too broad. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you shooting paper, hunting, plinking, competition, or some combination?

It appears you are trying to use one powder for all scenarios. While powders can be used on multiple cartridges, there is no magic powder that does all things well. Some folks here can recommend a powder that, when proper loads are worked up, may knock your socks off shooting that 44 Mag. That powder is likely to be entirely too slow to run in the 45ACP and Auto Rim. A powder that has the potential to create excellent 45 ACP loads is likely to make the 44 Mag feel like a DAWG (diminutive, awful, weak gun). That may be ok for your intended use, I don't know.

I suggest taking a different approach. Figure out what powders will do what you want for each cartridge and then bask in delight when two cartridges like the same powder. Go read here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...Surplus-Powder and soak up the knowledge.

My apologies if this comes across a bit gruff, as that is not the intent. The intent is to steer you off the track I already went down and save you the time and trouble. Yes, there are overlaps in powder/cartridge combinations, but it usually is a compromise for at least one of the combinations. Define what you want to accomplish with each cartridge and work to that goal. You'll likely be happier in the end.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master

Tightgroup is a very fast burning, dense powder that burns hot. I'd go with Auto Comp because it will be fine in the 45s and closer to a burn speed that is suitable for the Magnum.

Personally, I'd choose neither. I'd look to a powder that is slower burning for the 44 (Blue Dot, #9, 2400, etc.) and a powder like WST for the 45s. I like to find different things that work, so I have at least 12 different pistol/shotgun powders on hand. I am not one to try to shoehorn a single powder onto many platforms, although I do dabble with suboptimal powders sometimes to learn what can work in a pinch. With two recent rounds of component shortages, we know that the powders that we want aren't always on the shelves.

You will use more autocomp per round than tight group but as it is a slower powder, it would be better for 44 mag loads, even though it is faster than good powders for the .44 to get the best out of it.

Boolit Master

Why did this person start multiple threads w/ the same question here and on other forums? Looks like there is a bigger issue to be resolved.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 05-29-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Why did this person start multiple threads w/ the same question here and on other forums? Looks like there is a bigger issue at-stake.
    The more internet experts the better?

Boolit Master
    Titegroup will work fine in the 44 as long as you aren't seeking maximum velocities. It is too fast for that. Although that trait makes it great for the 45 ACP, and my favorite for that purpose. Will also work well for the AR.

Why did this person start multiple threads w/ the same question here and on other forums? Looks like there is a bigger issue to be resolved.
    if your going to rely on Internet forums for your load data, I guess I would hit as many of them as I could and eliminate answers that are on the extreme. Law of averages, of sorts.