RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 230 BD45 in 45 colt Black Hawk

Banner Sponsor

230 BD45 in 45 colt Black Hawk

Hi all, I tried shooting some of the BD45 230's in my blackhawk a few months back and couldn't get them to hit anything. I was headed out to the range the other day testing WC852 in the 06 and found a box of loaded BD45s with smaller powder charges that I didn't even shoot because the others were soooo bad. I took them along to just go bang.
    After shooting everything else, I sat down with the smaller powder charges. I was useing Red Dot, sized to .453" lube with 50-50. I could keep most of the shots on the paper at 50 yds, starting with 6gns working up to 9gns. At 8gns, the velocity hit 1000fps and it looked like it wanted to group at 9gns, the groups opened way up, so it looks like maybe trying 1/2 gn increments around 8 might produce something good.

That's 10 rounds at 50 yds open sights off the bench, 4 5/8" Blackhawk. The others hit just above the paper.
    Last edited by lar45; 10-22-2005 at 02:56 AM.

In Remebrance

Glenn- I used 6.0 Unique in my 45acpx4 5/8" Blackhawk and got 2" at 35 yards. Just a pickup load. I am pretty sure my 'hawk has been worked over since the trigger is superb and the throats are real smooth. Never measured them. Maybe yours are a trifle tight?

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 230 BD45 in 45 Colt black Hawk

I have a 225 round nose--sized .452--with 6.5 grs. of bulls eye for the 45 long colt --a pleasure to shoot and they go where they should---

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS version of this bullet in my 45 Colt 3-screw Blackhawks (2) with 5 gr of WST and either gun will put them in the 10-ring @ 25 yd if I do my part. Cast of WW+2%, sized .452, Thompson Red lube. Never any leadintg in pistols or rifle. I passed on the Lee special order because of the change in shape and no crimp groove.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator