Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder magazine -- outdoor

Boolit Master

Powder magazine -- outdoor

hey guys quick question, if one were to exceed the allotted county powder storage limits
    how would you create outdoor magazine ?

Boolit Master
    Only addressing magazine design: concrete floors and walls sunken in earth (brick would do if you can apply a weather sealant), fairly frail roof, focus on keeping damp out.

Boolit Grand Master

No....

Boolit Master

Store some powder at your neighbor's house?

Kids or parents who'd let you leave a few pounds in their garage?

Boolit Master

The sad thing is how much the fire dept and government don't know. 1 gallon of gas is equal to 60 lbs of powder. Just think about what is in the car in the garage with the 20 gallon tank. 20 * 60 = 1200 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

If you live in an area where the fire code restricts how much you can store in a residence. I would talk to the building code department to find out if an outdoor magazine is even allowed. I'm betting one isn't. If it is they will be able to tell you the requirements for building one.

I have given this some thought, simply to get the large quantities of powder out of the house. My solution will be a simple framw and board structure made to look exactly like what we called an "outhouse" when I was growing up

Boolit Buddy
    What they don't know won't hurt them.

Boolit Grand Master

A true powder magazine has several regulations to comply with. Shelves thickness and capacity inside. I have heard of a 1 hour "burn thru" rating also. construction is supposedly to be weak so no pressure build up can occour. Sides and roof again seale from weather and weakly constructed to minimize pressure build ups. I believe a couple louvered vents high on walls to allow heat to vent escape might be helpfull also. Actually the out house anology probably isnt far off from what is recomended. Securing it to keep nieghborhood kids and other out is a bigger issue. The needed specs can be gotten online or from local fire marshal easy enough.

The biggest problem would be keeping it cool, since heat is the biggest enemy of powder, other than politicians and fire marshalls, most of whom have no real clue about gunpowder. They will tell you it's an explosive, when it's actually not.

Where I used to live, my best friend was a Battalion Chief for the county fire department, a department with about 1,500+ employees. He's an avid shooter like myself, and knew the stock of powder I kept on hand, which exceeded what the county would allow. His stash also exceeded what the county would allow. I had my FFL at the time and we would order powder together to cut down on the shipping costs. His advice was to simply not volunteer the information that you're a reloader to any of the regulators. We felt it was none of their business, and that they should be much more concerned about the propane tanks we had, since there was no natural gas in that area. The 500 gallon propane tank next to my house worried me much more than the kegs of powder I stored in my shop. And as mentioned by dannyd, gasoline is a much bigger problem than powder. Powder doesn't release fumes that can ignite from the pilot light on a water heater, etc....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Put it in an Igloo ice chest and if you can bury it above the water table but
    deep enough to reach moderate soil temperatures.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Grand Master

See 14.3.9

http://hamyarenergy.com/static/fckim...20-%202006.pdf

Good luck with the permits...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I keep mine in a working (locked!) refrigerator. And I'm the only person who needs to know what's in there.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

several gun show merchants use those "knack" boxs like you see on construction sites.

Boolit Master

I use an old ice chest with lead ingots on the bottom to act as heat sinks and maintain a more even temp during the day.

The archives on this site are great. This is from 2009.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Storage

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    I would be worried about temp variation, and humidity build up, but I live in the Sierra Nevada it is rather moderate, record high is 99 and the low is -30. Potential for massive snow.

powder magazine or root cellar? I could build another small shed out back, without the building dept's knowledge.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use an old refrigerator.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My old lady would kill me if I came home with an old fridge to store powder in and leave it outside for everyone to see haha.

Boolit Master

I saw one solution utilizing old truck tires to build an underground structure. As I recall, that was in a drier climate than the Finger Lakes.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast