WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is choking me?

Boolit Buddy

What is choking me?

This is a post I made to another forum. Some of responders are blaming the powder coating, some Titegroup powder. The choking is sudden and seems to take my breath away...it is just not an inocuous "smell". Has anyone else experienced this?
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575823

No choking

Boolit Master

could be you have developed a sensitivity to some component. This has happened to be twice.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    You can and may react to anything that, as I say has a smell. Ever hear of Migraines. Sinus area, breathing are some of the first to react. Something is setting you off. Can be something else to. Did they spray for weeds, paint, coat the roof, maybe they treated the road, wood.

Sometimes it is a combination of things to set someone off.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    could be you have developed a sensitivity to some component. This has happened to be twice.
    It does not seem to be an allergic reaction inasmuch as it is instantaneous (no time for the body to produce histamines), when the wind blows the smoke back into my face.
    Last edited by dahermit; 05-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    You can and may react to anything that, as I say has a smell. Ever hear of Migraines. Sinus area, breathing are some of the first to react. Something is setting you off. Can be something else to. Did they spray for weeds, paint, coat the roof, maybe they treated the road, wood.

Sometimes it is a combination of things to set someone off.
    It only happens when the smoke hits me from firing...infrequently. Most of the time the smoke is not blown into my face. There is no other irritant present. It is either Titegroup or the powder coating.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    The only variables seem to be Titegroup or the powder coating. The Federal primers, Bullseye, Alox do not seem to cause the reaction. It has only happened when I shoot Titegroup and Sky Blue powder coating from Powder by the Pound.

I thought that once cured, powder coating was pretty much inert...why then would it be off-gassing when fired...unless of course it is the Titegroup, then others should have experienced the same thing when shooting in indoor ranges.

I cannot believe that someone else has not experienced this.
    Last edited by dahermit; 05-04-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Master

The human body can develop an intolerance to anything it does not like - And the reaction to it can be as varied and different as the number of different bodies.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Install a gas check on the bullet, the gas check will keep the powder explosion from comming in contact with the powder coat. There has been reported that titegroup reacts with some powder coats.

There are several sources of gas checks for plan base cast bullets. Do not use is another choice.

Need to load some up with sky blue PC and a new powder, and some with a different or no pc (probably better to go with no pc) and titegroup.

Do you know for a fact that your oven is coming up to 400 degrees and curing that PC correctly? If so, what means did you use to verify this? Could be that the PC is off gassing some. We have talked about the oven temp. problems before here and lots of people have discovered that these cheap little 'Chinese' ovens are lying to us. Communist do that you know!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Ammonia gas from the powder? My ar15 will do that to me if I run it suppressed.

I too seem to recall mention of Titegroup and PC reaction with at least some PC coatings. IF that was the situation the bottom of the bullet would be where the reaction would take place, firing would probably distribute that "altered" material into the air.

Might try an experiment. Put a few of your PC blue bullets into some Titegroup in a container and leave for a week or two, see if the PC reacts. If it blisters or becomes flaky or something that would let you know your source. Reminds me I have to test this myself. I like titegroup for revolver and need to confirm it will not cause a problem. In most of the pistol I would load the PC is just for fun, maybe a few of the hotter magnum rounds it provides superior lubrication. I can always use TG for the tumble lube rounds I crank out for plinking and practice.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I was performing and am still doing the experiment. Titegroup and other high nitroglycerin powders do react with the polymer in Harbor Freight Red (only powder coat I'm currently testing). If you have an RCBS powder measure and left Titegroup in it overnight, you'll see the same thing. I'm about to open up some bullets sitting for 6 months with the powders sitting against them hand pressed into cartridges.

I don't think that is the culprit. Either you are reacting to the Titegroup smoke or perhaps gas cutting of the polymer.

Easy enough to isolate the problem. Load up some tumble lubed bullets with Titegroup. Load up some Powder Coated bullets with Unique, Bullseye or other powder you happen to have and shoot 'em and get the smoke into your face.

Banned

you do know titegroup erodes powder coating and some other plastics too.

leave it in your rcbs powder hopper for 2 weeks and be ready to scrape the powder off the sides.

switch powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Do you know for a fact that your oven is coming up to 400 degrees and curing that PC correctly? If so, what means did you use to verify this? Could be that the PC is off gassing some. We have talked about the oven temp. problems before here and lots of people have discovered that these cheap little 'Chinese' ovens are lying to us. Communist do that you know!

OS OK
    The oven was adjusted to 400 degrees using a separate oven thermometer...before that, I melted a batch of bullets by going with the setting on the knob. So, I know its hitting 400. After the bullets get shinny, I set the timer for 15 minutes. The bullets do pass the hammer test... other than that, I don't know how to test for full-curing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

Easy enough to isolate the problem. Load up some tumble lubed bullets with Titegroup. Load up some Powder Coated bullets with Unique, Bullseye or other powder you happen to have and shoot 'em and get the smoke into your face.
    I was hoping that I would not have to do the experiments...that is why I asked here if anyone else was running into the same problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    Ammonia gas from the powder? My ar15 will do that to me if I run it suppressed.
    It does not smell of ammonia.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

switch powder.
    Not likely...I recently bought an eight pound container of it. It is going to be used-up, come hell or high-water.

Banned

then drop the powder coating.

your only other choice is to store them boolit up and load them the day before.
    you could also not coat the base and see...
    anyway you know what the problem is.