RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Forster Coax question

Boolit Master

Forster Coax question

I really like the looks and quality of the Forster press and was wondering how you adapt standard dies to it. Don't they have their own setup or something, I can't remember but thought something was different, maybe I'm wrong. Would like opinions on this press from people that use or have used them.I really like the strong leverage system tied to top of press.

No, standard dies work in it. Instead of screwing in, the lock ring slides into a groove. You will run into some older dies where the lock ring is too thick to slide in. You will need to replace those lock rings. Lee sells a card with 4 rings on it pretty cheap. Or you could always thin down your bulky rings if you happen to have any.

Boolit Master

Cabela sells the rings for this press, my brother has used one of these for many years.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    I just removed the thick rings and sanded them a bit on my belt disc sander untill they slid in...

DM

Super Moderator

..............I have one and while I sure love the universal shell holder and the easy die changes, it DOES have operational issues. If you use Lee push through size dies you'll need to buy the accessory shellholder adapter for the die's pushrod. You will also NOT be able to use the catcher cup.

The big issue for me is feeding and removing cases. Since the guide rods and the connecting links are to either side, you must feed and remove the cases from the front. This is normally done from the side in an 'O' frame press. You'll find that you have to shift your upper body each time to one side to feed and remove a case. Not so with an 'O' frame.

To be honest when I retired the Rockchucker (it was slap wore out) I bought a Lee Classic. The Forster finds itself in a plastic bag hanging from the side of the components cabinet 98% of the time). There are no problems with the Forster's quality or construction otherwise.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    The big issue for me is feeding and removing cases. Since the guide rods and the connecting links are to either side, you must feed and remove the cases from the front. This is normally done from the side in an 'O' frame press. You'll find that you have to shift your upper body each time to one side to feed and remove a case. Not so with an 'O' frame.
    Do you have your Co-Ax mounted on the front of your bench???

I always mount them "in" the bench a few inches, and then you can turn them toward you, if that's what you prefer.

DM

Boolit Buddy

I have been using one for some time, now. I found that when doing cartridge conversions, I need to use their adaptor for the standard shell holders, or do a final sizing on another press, to get the last couple of thousandths of an inch sizing.

That being said, I biought the adaptor, and use the COAX for pretty much everything. I love the snapout die feature, and the priming feature is wonderful.

Oh, and wehat I was forming? 7x57 Mauser and 7.65 Argentine Mauser.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master
    I have had mine since 2002. I like the die slot makes it easy to change dies. I also use the shell holder adapter just makes it easier and faster. I use the Coax fo everything except LeePush thru sizing dies and Buffalo Arms Wad Punch dies.

I use old style RCBS lock rings, Redding locking rings also work.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17