Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 40 kraig?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, great info. the more I look at it the more it grows on me, too late to walk away, I'm easy addicted
    I'm not sure what to do for sights, with these old eyes, I'm leaning toward some type of scope but have no idea how to mount the rings etc.
    The web sites mentioned has lots of info so it will take awhile to digest and browse.

For now, I'll work on getting it cleaned up, that should take awhile, and search the sites you guys offered.
    Buckshot, nice looking, thanks. Charger, I'll keep your offer on the peeps in mind, the 2 screws are filled in ?? Joe, I'm in Indy. need to find smith to check headspace.
    I'll keep you all informed
    Dave

Banned
    floodgate,

You aren't going to do that stunt on my Krag, you may on others, but my extractor is pretty strong...I've tried that.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

I have some spare parts for a Krag including a 1898 rear sight.

In Remebrance

So Joe, just where is this place you can get Krag actions for $50.00?

Banned
    Tpr Bret,

I was cruising the gunsites a week ago and I believe it was Sarco Inc. They were actually $49.50 if I remember correctly. I haven't seen Krag actions for sale for quite some while. I'll bet you they are totally stripped too, they didn't say on the website.

Joe

As a general rule, 'action' means all the action parts are there; if there is a part, like a bolt or exteactor missing, it is so noted. If it is an 'action' with all the parts removed, it is generally listed as a 'receiver'. Naturally, everybody doesn't do it the same way....

Banned
    Tpr Bret,

I'll help you out here as it's kind of hard to find on their website, go here:
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/rifles-receivers1.html

At the middle of the page.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 10-24-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Banned
    Art,

I meant to say receiver.

Joe

If your receiver looks bad or, Heaven forbid, is cracked, one of these receivers would come in real handy. I see they have other receivers also. One of those Argentine 1935 receivers would be a good one to build up a rifle on. They didn't mention it, but I assume a license is required to purchase since the serial number is usually located on the receiver. Wonder if a C&R would work with them???

Banned
    Art,

I've been wondering about C&R, some places say they are only good for complete firearms, some say you can buy parts that are for C&R firearms, some even say you can't use a C&R to buy a C&R firearm that had been changed from original such as new modern barrel, sporterized, etc. Who knows the real truth? To me doesn't make sense you can buy the whole C&R eligible firearm but not a receiver.

Joe

Everyone who reads that law (and all laws) interprets it the way he wants to. Even the agents will give you different answers. It all depends on how bad he wants to sell things, modified by his past experience with authority. Same is true of FFL. I have talked to dealers who claimed if they took the gun apart and shipped it in more than one box, it was legal and didn't have to go to an FFL Heck, even I know better than that.

Boolit Buddy

bad news

While cleaning the barrel, I decided to slug the bore....I picked up a 38 cb by mistake and start to put it in the muzzle and realized what I was doing however it just fell right thru.
    I measured with some calipers and it comes out to .401"
    Ouch! wife says to mount it above the fireplace.
    Any ideas, like replacement barrel or can it be "sleeved"?
    thanks
    Dave

Banned
    Dave,

It would be hard to imagine that a barrel that is suppose to be .308 (although some found alot fatter then that, as mine measures .309) would be .401. Have you cleaned it out with a good fitting brass bore brush and then looked to see if there is any rifling? If you take a modern .308 with cut rifling the bore is .300 and the rifling is .004 thus when you measure the groove diameter you get .308 ( the total of the bore .300 and two groove depths of .004, which is .008, thus added to the bore .308). Even if that rifle had a very fat bore say .316 plus .008 for two grooves depths, that will still only give you .324. I'm beginning to wonder if it was rebarreled to something else, so other caliber. Do the barrel cleaning and get back with us on what the rifling looks like and run another bigger slug through it and tell us what it mikes out at and if it has prominant grooves on it.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Joe, I did clean the barrel with kroil and also butchs bore, it is shiney. looks like the first 1.500" has been ?? bored or rough honed?? not sure how to describe it, I do see some rifleing twist past that area. I tried to take a pic but not very good.
    Are replacements or rebarreled even feasable and where do I look?
    Fireplace might be the only choice or sell for parts...

??
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel.jpg  

Banned
    You'd have to have a gunsmith put a barrel on it. Don't think there are many Krag barrels floating around. Like I stated before it's hard to believe if it was the original Krag barrel that there is rifling in it and you slugged it at .401

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    What the hell is a Kraig/Craig?.........HAR!

Now, I'm sorta hooked on phonics and while it's bad enough the name is butchered into Krag.......as in, "he fell amongst a rocky crag and broke his lag...I mean leg"

I'll bet Olaf pronounced his last name as Kraag....with short A sound. I don't think the Norwegians use a long A in thier vowels....could be mistaken, but don't think so. You ever hear of O-layf Krayg? Didn't think so, me either. Every guy I ran into from Michigan called the rifles Kraigs...they also rode Ska-doo's in the winter.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

In Remebrance

If the muzzle end has the bored out section, chances are the muzzle was worn oblong and some one bored it back to restore the muzzle end. If the rest of the barrel shows good rifling and the bore slugs anywhere from 308-312 I'd shoot it a bit to see how it does. You may be surprised.

Banned
    That makes sense what Tpr Bret said. You didn't say which end that non rifled end was at. If it is at the muzzle go ahead and slug the rifled portion.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12