Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean excess lube from loaded rounds

Boolit Master

Clean excess lube from loaded rounds

Anyone have a quick and easy way to clean excess lube off of reloaded rounds without the chance of contaminating them?

I use Felix lube (beeswax/lanolin), and although I'm careful when handling the lubed boolits, my hands and therefore my loaded rounds tend to get a bit sticky.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I sometimes wipe mine down after loading with a paper towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I sometimes wipe mine down after loading with a paper towel.
    Ditto.

Boolit Mold
    I use an old towel,lightly sprayed with lighter fluid. Pour ammo down middle, fold top and bottom 1/3 over ammo . Grab both ends and shake back and forth for minute or so. Box in your favorite container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I tumble in corn cob media with a little bit of mineral spirits
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

I just wipe them with either a microfiber or cotton cloth. It allows me to inspect them and box them up.

My plinker fodder I don't ever bother with.

Banned

I give them to my wife and she gives them back clean.
    same as my laundry.

Boolit Master

Why I want to remove all external boolit lube...

The reason that I am even concerned about this at all is that I want to run an experiment. I recently bought a Walther .45 and am casting 452460 200 gr SWC with a OAL of 1.185. I finally worked out the issue with many failing to go into battery all of the way by crimping down to .469 which was suggested by a few folks.

My next challenge is to find out why each magazine ejects at least one live round, although another live round often chambers successfully at the same time. How can a magazine strip off two rounds? So... I am very thoroughly wiping down 100 rounds tonight... they are all getting very polished with a very thin layer of beeswax as I wipe and wipe them clean.

I really hope that this resolves the issue, although I also wonder if it has to do with having to seat to an OAL of about 1.185.

I will report back.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I'm not to sure about the bees wax but you might be baking the bees wax onto the chamber wall.

Also I've been shooting tumble lube boolits with the nose coated with liquid lube for many yearsbut that was in revolvers.

I give them a few quick twists using a soft cotton cloth and they're good to go.

Boolit Master
    runfiverun, you definitely won the marriage lottery. As Louis L'Amour put it, "She's one you can ride the river with."
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    My next challenge is to find out why each magazine ejects at least one live round, although another live round often chambers successfully at the same time. How can a magazine strip off two rounds?

Randy
    Take a look at the lips on the magazine, see if they're bent or worn. If they allow a live round to work loose under recoil, as soon as the slide is clear the magazine could punch it out, right behind the extracted empty case. Then as the slide goes forward it picks up the next round (as it should).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I have a large Dillon media separator which was modified by drilling a 1/4 inch hole in each end of each half about 1 inch away from the rotating shaft. A 1/4 inch rod slightly longer than the separator body is inserted through each pair of holes with an absorbent cloth draped over the rod. An old hand towell or in my case, a leg section of some old warm up pants over the rod works well. I dampen the fabric with paint thinner, add brass and crank for about 30 seconds. Remove brass and place it in your favorite tactical ammo storage coffe can or what ever and you are done. Ammo is grease free and uncontaminated.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

I use simple cleaning patches to wipe lube away. When fully impregnated with lube they go in a ziplock bag and on seldom used or BP firearms I run one thru the barrel when cleaned as a preservarive to protect bore then a clean dry patch to evenm out thin the coating.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran through this also. early reloads I didn't wipe down, and started fouling the chambers on my revolver. Now I just use a big patch, and just give a quick wipe as I pull the round off the press. Gives me a chance to inspect them anyways.

Banned

sometimes the round rides forward in the magazine just enough to halfway feed itself under recoil.

usually a super soft lube will gum things up in the barrel and stops the round from chambering.
    when you pull it out [the not in battery round] you get a gunk build up on the front of the case.
    I have been messing with this recently.
    adding more and more wax to a too soft lube, and shooting the treated lube in the same few guns.
    the slime is going away and things are getting progressively better batch by batch.
    I'm going to see how far up the ladder I can go with more wax and less oils.
    but it's been taking a while.

I wouldn't hesitate to say add more wax to your lube.
    10% wouldn't be too much.
    5% would be a good start.

Banned

I wipe Felix from the brass with a rag but never wipe the boolit. I just keep loads in MTM boxes away from dirt and only fill my revolver for deer, never carry a pocket full that are never needed.
    Rounds don't prance the runway like those skeleton girls.

45acp

45 acp- Wipe off all lube thats exposed, to avoid feeding/chambering issues. Also avoid alloys that are very close to pure lead. The bullet nose should not stick on the feed ramp or get deformed. Lube was warmed, but not thinned for Lyman 200 gr BB, after lube turned to grease. I will keep using my Lyman 450 .
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Master

91% isopropyl alcohol, mist sprayed onto a microfiber cloth does it for me. The alcohol easily cuts through any bullet lube I know of. I buy the large jugs from the drug store and dispense through a generic multipurpose sprayer. Hell I use this stuff way more often than I use Kroil.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sti40edge View Post
    I use an old towel,lightly sprayed with lighter fluid. Pour ammo down middle, fold top and bottom 1/3 over ammo . Grab both ends and shake back and forth for minute or so. Box in your favorite container.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My method, except I use mineral spirits.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)