RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rat fart" load in 30-06

Boolit Mold

"Rat fart" load in 30-06

Hello, I'm new here, and anxious to jump in and share my latest adventure. After reading and RE-reading the mouse fart thread (I am very impressed with this group and the amount of knowledge in here) I wanted to experiment with a cast boolit load for coyote. I want this load accurate to 100 yards, and a mild report is ok. Hence the name of rat fart.

The rifle I have is a 30-06 Remington 700, the cases I used are GI brass, circa WW2. I drilled out the primer flash holes to avoid case resetting and spoiling these fire formed cases. Primers were CCI 200. The powder I chose is Tite Group (powder orientation in the case does not matter with this powder). The boolit is an old favorite of mine, the Lyman 311008, and I cast it hard (BHN 22). The range I'm able to use at present is 50 yards, I'll test at 100 yards later this spring at another range. After several attempts I found that powder charge of around 6 grains was near ideal, accuracy wise. So my son & I ladder tested 5.7 through 6.1 grains of tite group. We started at the low end with three shot groups, and found the 5.9 grain load shot into one jagged hole. The further we went from 5.9 grains, the wider the groups.

It is my intention to share, not to prove or disprove any theories. I would like to say that my earlier loadings tended to follow the findings of Mr. Gordon, in that this light weight bullet was probably way over stabilized in the rifles 1 in 10 rifling. I loaded as high as 8 grains of tite group with that boolit only to find I was unable to hit the target, the "groups" were so wide.

I really appreciate this group, and the atmosphere of higher learning I find here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    TiteGroup should be a great choice. My friends and I do a great deal of shooting with subsonic gallery loads in the '06.
    We've gotten best accuracy with heavier bullets around 155-165 grains, cast soft, about 8-10 BHN, with 6 grains of Bullseye.

With lighter bullets like #3118 I found accuracy was better if I kept the charges much lighter, down around 4 grains of Bullseye, but beyond 50 yards the light bullets are more wind sensitive. Groups below are 10-shots fired from an '03 Springfield with Lyman 48 rear peep and Lyman 17A aperture front sight.

Attachment 166610
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

10 grains of 700x on a lee c309-113.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    10 grains of 700x on a lee c309-113.
    How many shots? How far? What case? What rifle?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

In Remembrance

Try 10.5 grains of Red Dot behind a 170-ish grain booilt at abot a 10-12 bhn.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

If the OP was for low noise loads, you guys are sure shooting stuff which requires ear protection!

By "Cat Sneeze", "Mouse Fart", "Rat Fart" I am presuming the OP wanted loads which were nearly silent, and at minimum load levels which would reliably exit the barrel and give utility accuracy to 50 feet or 20 yards +/-...

I am looking at 800 fps and measured peak pressure decibel reading at 1 metre from the muzzle not to exceed 90dB, what planet are you guys on????
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-20-2016 at 12:29 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I'll fully agree with outpost75 , 5-6 gr of Bullseye or similar powder and a mid weight bullet just plain works ! Shot many of these and even out to 200 yds yes they will travel that far with decent accuracy.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

When I initially heard the term "mouse fart" I chuckled. I now like "rat fart" better. On that note though....Bullets go from Pfft to BANG! real quick. I tested one out of my window into a thick pine in my back yard once with a buckshot pellet on top of a .308 case. I was expecting a "Pfft" and got a very pronounced "BANG!"
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    How many shots? How far? What case? What rifle?
    35 yards 1903-A3 springfield, remington cases. Iron sights too. 5 shot group.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I want this load accurate to 100 yards, and a mild report is ok. Hence the name of rat fart
    These 'technical' words rat fart don't mean a damn thing ... what minimum velocity do you want for these reloads
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    These 'technical' words rat fart don't mean a damn thing ... what minimum velocity do you want for these reloads
    My experience has been that with lubricated lead bullets you need 700 fps to ensure the bullets exit a rifle length barrel.

In revolvers you can go down to about 500.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

You can push a 22caliber pellet out the barrel with just a primer add 1.5gr of bullseye and it will operate the action of a AR15 or M-16, accurate to 75 feet.my 06 does okay with the LEE-93-RN sized to.308 with two grains of Bullseye it does seem to build up a little fouling of lube after 10 to 20 rounds,but just a ring on the crown.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-20-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Leadsmith46,

Welcome aboard.

Any idea the velocity you are getting with 5.9 - 6.0 grains of Tite Group? Shooting groups on paper it doesn't matter; shooting coyotes, where you actually need performance, it does.

My experience with coyotes is they aren't that hard to kill, as long as you hit them right the first time. That is the hard part. Once they get their adrenalin up they become bullet sponges and can take a lot of killing.

My opinion is, you are using a .32-20 boolit, use a load that gives .32-20 velocity. That may be a bit louder than you want though.

I use 6.0 grains of Winchester 231 in a .308 with a Group buy 314-120 sized 0.311", that was patterned after the 311008. With my WW alloy it weighs 122 grains and gives 1220 fps from a 26" barrel. It is quieter than a full house load, but it isn't necessarily quiet.

At such low velocities, I highly doubt there will be any expansion with your 22BHN alloy, have you tried anything softer? My WW runs about 12.5 bhn according to my Lee hardness tester. What diameter are you sizing to?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    You can push a 22caliber pellet out the barrel with just a primer add 1.5gr of bullseye and it will operate the action of a AR15 or M-16,
    That really doesn't sound like it would cycle an AR-15 but I have not tested it myself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the welcome. A chronograph is in the works, but not here yet, so I'm guessing at the velocity of that load. 1800 to just under 2,000 fps is my best guess. This boolit weighs about 106 grains as cast, and I've tested them for fragmentation, and realize they will not expand.

When I coined the term "rat fart" I intended to have a round with "some" noise, and this round has as much noise as a 22 magnum rifle. Accuracy out to 100 yards was much more important to me than absolute quietness.

I tried some softer boolits this past winter, they were about BHN 15 (near Lyman no. 2 alloy), and I saw much leading and wild shot dispersion (no grouping at all). The loads I worked with back then were much hotter, no doubt causing my problems. I'm happy with the terminal ballistics of BHN 22 boolits, knowing I can place the shot where it can kill. Most of my boolit casting has been for magnum handguns, and the 45 acp, and a hard alloy is needed for magnum velocity. I get heavy lead fouling with Lyman no. 2 and softer alloys in my handguns. So I use a lot of hard (BHN 22) lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    You can push a 22caliber pellet out the barrel with just a primer add 1.5gr of bullseye and it will operate the action of a AR15 or M-16, accurate to 75 feet.my 06 does okay with the LEE-93-RN sized to.308 with two grains of Bullseye it does seem to build up a little fouling of lube after 10 to 20 rounds,but just a ring on the crown.

I am more than a little skeptical about 1.5 gr of BE in an AR15. I load 2.3 gr to shoot in my Handi which is a great load, but 2.3 gr will not even unlock the bolt in my AR.

Boolit Grand Master
    6grains TG will not be anywhere near 1800 to 2000 fps. Not even close. Much more likely is 1300 or less with that bullet. Said by a guy that's chronographed it in an 06.

Boolit Mold
    I'll have a chrono in May, and will post a ten shot string average. If this load indeed clocks at only 1300 fps it will not do the job I need it to do. It'll be dropping too much and too slow out to 100 yards to reliably drop a coyote. If so, I am no stranger to the "drawing board".

P.S. I see I omitted the bullet size info. The best group was from .309" size. I tried other (larger and smaller) sizes and found .309 to be best. BTW my barrel slugged out measuring a tight .308" By tight, I mean .3075" would be close, if my mich would read it.

MK42Gunner, where can a guy find this 312-120 group buy boolit? Does anyone offer that mold? Is it a gas checked boolit? Thanks for any info,,,,, Steve

The NEI #69, NOE .311-155FN, HM2-312-160-5 and similar GC bullets do well in the '06 up to 200 yards with suitable charges. Here are a bunch of 100-yard groups with various loads out of my Mauser sporter with 4X hunting scope, at velocity about 1300 fps, with the 160-grain bullet energy approximates the .32-40 blackpowder round and it works fine on WV coyotes. Same bullet with 40 grains of 4064 cycles my M1 Garand at 2200 fps and approximates .30-30 energy if you want a more powerful load. I use 50-50 wheelweights and linotype, about 16 BHN, size bullets .311" and have no issues with leading if bullets are THROAT size.

Ignore groove diameter. Do a pound cast of your chamber. Read the sticky.

Attachment 166822Attachment 166824Attachment 166826Attachment 166828Attachment 166829Attachment 166830
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-23-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 314120 is a plain based boolit that was a group buy of six cavity molds from Lee several years ago. No idea where you could find any now, Maybe ask in the group buy section? I have no idea if anyone has reran it or not.

It really like to be pushed hard with LILGUN in one of my Ruger SSM's in .32 H&R Mag. It does shoot awfully high from that little gun, but the groups are tiny.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast