Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Usable minimum case length

Boolit Buddy

Usable minimum case length

I just acquired some .45 colt cases that were said to be purchased from an indoor range that doesn't sell reloads. After de priming, cleaning and re sizing, I started sorting. I was pleasantly happy to come across some Hornady cases. 14 nickle and 8 brass. Not that many but nice. I store my cases in factory ammo trays stacked inside larger plastic totes with sealed lids. As I was putting the cases away, I noticed some cases that were considerably shorter than the other ones in the tray. They were all 22 of the Hornady cases. Looking closer, they are a full case rim shorter. All my other cases measure no less than 1.280. These cases measure 1.2270-1.2325.

Well, after the long read...are these even usable?

In Remembrance
    I came across 1 of those just yesterday, and I have it set aside. If what I understand is correct....the shorter cases are the result of using those gummy tipped J-Words in there Leverevolution ammo.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    Ahaa! I never gave those FTXs a thought. I wont be using any of those. These cases will be segregated. Thanks GRUMPA. G.

Boolit Master
    Unsafe? No, using these will be no different than firing a 22 short in a long-rifle chamber. If you used enough of them they might gunk-up the chamber some but they are safe enough.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    You'll need a deeper setting for your seat/crimp die, but otherwise the cases should be OK.

Hornady certainly did no reloader any favors with these oddball short shells of theirs.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll use them solely for shot shells.

Boolit Master
    Using the slightly shorter Hornady cases shouldn't be any problem. The US Army used the .45 Schofield ammunition in their 1873 Colts, finally settling on the M1887 Ball cartridge, as short as the Schofield and with the Colt's smaller rim to avoid rims interfering in the Colt 1873 revolver. If lever use is needed, and the slightly shorter cartridge doesn't feed properly, seat the boolit out a bit longer to regular OAL.

Obviously the need for a different setup for a roll crimp is a PITA.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Unless you are firing them in a length critical device such as a Win 94, I don't see why it is important. The rim thickness is what 0.04"? I fire much shorter Schofield ammo in my Colts fairly often with no issues.

Boolit Master

I have found that to be true too. They are too short to load with the same crimp setting. I used to sort them out for possible future use but now I just toss them.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

45 Colt Gap ?

I purchased 700 rounds of 44 Mag brass and 100 rounds was some of the Hornady Leverevolution .Same as your 45 colt ! ( The short stuff)We loaded some of the Ftx's in the Hornady brass. >>>>We sure didn't care too much for those.