RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Tried boolit in 58 pietta

Boolit Master

Tried boolit in 58 pietta

Family has a lonely 58 Remington clone nobody uses because we all hate trying to put caps on the nipples and my son is kicking around the idea of getting a 45 acp conversion cylinder. So I remember some talk about older pietta's having real slow rifling and I assumed that would effect a slug to shoot badly. I took some Lee230\tl boolits that were PC'd and swagged them down till they fit into cylinder. In the process I found 2 chambers were much larger than the other 4 so I reamed and polished till they all are very close to same. My smallest BP measure is 50 gr so I don't know how much 3f went into the cylinder. I loaded 5 and tried to keep enough powder in so the boolit was almost flush. None of this was very detail oriented because I simply wanted to see how they groubed at 25 yards. Those 230 grainers gave a nice lift to the gun on ignition and by jove they hit right on the aim point. Shooting off a bag the first 3 were almost touching and I pulled another one and the last one was less powder than the rest. Ended up with 5 inch spread but the first 3 were inside 1 1\2 inches. I do believe this gun is worthy of a conversion cylinder judging these results. Could not find any round balls for it so I guess I must clean it and put it away.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

You can make a powder measure out of a .38 spl. casing and solder on a piece of wire. The balls can be found at most gun stores. I bet a 0.454 ball from Hornady would work.Good shooting by the way!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, conversion cyls are fun and historically correct. Maybe 45acp isn't correct but it wasn't available back then and 46. Remie isn't available today so . . . . . it canclels out right? Lol.Get a cyl, shoot it , have fun!!

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I've got a Howell conversion in mine-45 colt. I shoot my cast and pc'd Lee 230 gn tc. Get the conversion, you'll love it. My revolver is far more accurate than I am. I had a good day once and pulled off a three inch group at 25 yards. The revolver can do this all day long, but I can't.. .. Lol.. and the irony is I can cast and reload cheaper than shooting black powder out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Yap! I agree!! I've got two Dragoons that routinely put 6 shots into 5 holes @ 33' inside 3" all day (off hand)! Full power loads, not "reduced" loads.

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master

I'll add one more. My Pietta '58 Remington repro shoots round balls better with a full load (40 gr. equivalent, lube pellet, and .454 round ball) than any lighter load down to 25 gr. -- unfortunately, I've yet to be able to try a conical, the ones I bought won't start in the chambers and I haven't got a sizer at present. I have no reason to believe it will shoot worse with conicals than it does with balls...

Boolit Master
    Does the rebated base not fit into your chambers?

Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    My Pietta '58 Remington repro shoots round balls better with a full load...

Mine round ball Remmy is the same, shoots its tightest groups with 35 grain charges, over an inch tighter than it's next closest competitor, 15 grains with CoW filler.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    I have conversion Howell cylinders for my Dragoon, & my 58 remmey. I shoot 45 long colt in both. I just
    sent my Remmy with both cap & ball & Howell cylinder to (Mike 45 Dragoon) for his expert revolver make over.

My remmy is a pieta & shoots conicals very accrete. I can't what to get it back from Mike. The guy works magic
    to these pistols. He times them & makes them a work as a fine Swiss watch. Tigger pull, hammer pull & no cap jams.
    Great guy, check out is web site. www.goonsgunworks.com
    Fly