RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet and Pellets

Boolit Buddy

22 Hornet and Pellets

OK so I've got some folks answering my questions on my other Hornet threads,
    and some mention using a .22 pellet and a small pistol primer,

so i got some .22 pellets at the LHS primed 2 cases after i drilled them out, and marked them in red,
    shot one across the room into the pine paneling, 20ft,
    it sunk in the thickness of the pellet with a paper back book drop sound,

my questions would be this,
    1-is using a pellet in my Handi-Hornet what price range would it be equal to if i was to go buy a pellet gun?
    2- can one put 1/2 grain of bullseye behind it?
    3- what what your effective range ?

comparing all this to a dedicated pellet gun,,NOT THE SPENDY air tank 1000.00 jobbers

Boolit Master

This is something I have wanted to do with my Handi in .223. I was given some .22 cal pellets to try it, but they slipped down the neck of a sized case. My thoughts were like yours.....A 1/2 gr. of a fast powder to give it just a little more "umph". I will stay posted to the results and replies.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Im using Daisy 22 precision max flat nosed, 13.3g they push in not tight but don't slide around
    in either a fire formed case or a new one i do have to take a pen and slightly flair the case just a tad

just tried 2 more outside, at 25 feet i was 3 inches low on my crosshairs, and my chickens didn't blink when the pellet passed by
    zero noise,,just a pffft

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 1g of bullseye in a new unmolested case, with pellet,
    sounded like a carpenters nail gun pellet took out a coke can at 25 yards filled with water,

Boolit Buddy
    Just for fun maybe try rifle primers, I don't know if they have more oomph or not.
    It that doesn't suit you try reaming a case or two to fit a shotgun primer. It sounds like a fun experiment. Just be sure the pellet clears the barrel and not just blows the top off it and leave the skirt in your barrel. Let us know how this all goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 49FMarlin View Post
    Im using Daisy 22 precision max flat nosed, 13.3g they push in not tight but don't slide around
    in either a fire formed case or a new one i do have to take a pen and slightly flair the case just a tad

just tried 2 more outside, at 25 feet i was 3 inches low on my crosshairs, and my chickens didn't blink when the pellet passed by
    zero noise,,just a pffft
    I HAVE STUCK a pellet in the bore on occasion. So be warned to check the bore before you shoot the next round. I had some 177 pellets that I tried in my 17 Rem. rifle. I pushed them thru a .172 home made sized and used BEnch rest primers. Hi velocity and so so accuracy resulted. Accurate for squirrels at about 20 yards.

I wonder how a 209 primer would do?

Boolit Master
    Keep an eye out for pellets getting stuck. I have had pellets blow through the nose and leave the remains of the pellet in the bore. Pellet type should make a difference. Power limited by the pellet's ability to hold the pressure without blow through.

Boolit Master
    Many ways to pursue this, but the question I'd put forth is why fiddle with pellets when moulds for light weight bullets are available AND of proper dimension? Soft alloy with a lite tumble lube will do fine.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    because I'm waiting for my die set from midway and a mold and just wanna have some quiet fun in the back yard
    never know when ill have to eat squirrel without my neighbors knowing I'm eating

These 30 gr .22 swaged bullets would work well also....

http://northamericanarms.com/accesso...ts/cbb100.html

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Many ways to pursue this, but the question I'd put forth is why fiddle with pellets when moulds for light weight bullets are available AND of proper dimension? Soft alloy with a lite tumble lube will do fine.
    I don't believe that would work. The impulse from a primer may be about equal to a very weak charge of smokeless powder, but it is much briefer in duration. The bullet gives a great deal more friction all the way along the bore, to resist stripping under forces many times greater. I think you would need the air rifle pellet, which only has a very narrow skirt to engrave.

Boolit Grand Master

In the hornet cases I load the pellet skirt forwards, this helps to keep the skirt from pulling off in the barrel. Expand your case necks to bore size and slichtly flair skirt of pellet it will size down in the neck to proper size. I used small rifle primers only no powder. A magnum primer might give a little more omph also. If possible chronograph a few of these loads you might be surprised as to velocity. Even a small charge of powder may leave skirts in the barrel. Also pellets are pretty much pure lead and very soft so at higher velocities leading may become an issue. They are a fun load and a ball to play with.

Boolit Master
    I use 22 pellets with a SR primer in 22 Hornet cases fired from a 22 WCF chamber in a 25 3/4" barrel and so far have never stuck nor separated a pellet in the bore. Not sure how one would do either but with a pellet and a primer, I am getting ~1" groups at 25 yards. Good enough for starlings and quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I don't believe that would work. The impulse from a primer may be about equal to a very weak charge of smokeless powder, but it is much briefer in duration. The bullet gives a great deal more friction all the way along the bore, to resist stripping under forces many times greater. I think you would need the air rifle pellet, which only has a very narrow skirt to engrave.
    OK, you mean like the BB and CB cap which are primer powered and will exit my 26" barrel around 800 fps? Gotcha...

OTOH, these might work, depending on diameter...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	568015.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	165727

They are available from Midway.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

While not exactly related to this thread, I just have to share. While in the Army, (83-86) a couple guys were caught shooting cleaning rods out of their M-16s with blanks. This gave me the bright idea to try .22 pellets. We used to get pretty bored in the field some times so I took a box of pellets out. Blanks are crimped to a point and that point fit the pellet skirt like it's made for it. Glue the pellet on the tip of the blank. Carefully chamber the round and bang! My first test shot was at a can of shaving cream and I was under the camo net....oops. What a mess. Burst the can all over the place. Gunny heard the report and came to investigate and there was no way to weasle out of that one. Fun times....Carry on gentelmen.

While I have not done this with my .223 . . . . yet. I have shot 30 caliber buckshot in my Mosin with just the primer. Went through one side of a cardboard box and rattled around inside.

Perfect for offhand shooting practice in the January doldrums.

In Remembrance

I have done this with the 223 in my bolt gun using regular and magnum primers. I also drilled out and reamed 6 cases to use 209 primers. The heavier pellets work best and are VERY quiet.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    I use 22 cal pellets in my air rifle. They work really well and save a 3 cent primer.

Well, I've driven pellets into hyper space. As far as I know they still streaking across the universe. I don't remember the charge or powder but I do remember them making a bigger hole than a 22 rf and with more penetration. The only load I can find is with 1 gr trail Boss. I was waxing the pellets so as to give support on the skirt both inside and out. The wax had Alox and STP mixed in it which made it quite firm and is what held the pellet in the neck over a wad.

At more modest velocities the pellet shot OK at air gun ranges. Very quiet.

I just had another look at my load. I see that I filled the case with wheat germ to the neck. The pellet would have seated onto the wheat germ. The wax load I used had a card wad pressed to depth to support the pellet and prevent the molten wax from running down. I seem to remember the case was filled with Trail boss - not sure.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast