WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now loading for 45 Colt..Questions

Now loading for 45 Colt..Questions

First, looking for an in expensive staring mold for my 45 Colt loading. Then again I would consider others as well. What's a good bullet design for the 45 Colt Looks like the rnfp?

Also, powders, any suggestions? I use the following powders now for pistol. Titegroup and Bullsyse. I've read unique is pretty good. I have a New Uberti 1873 single action cowboy so 14000 cup is max.

Looking for any advice you all can give me. I've held off on dies as well because I hear the carbide can be rough on the brass???

I also use a dillon 650 but plan on single stage loading at first

Joe

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you don't plan to load black powder, then you want a bullet with a crimp groove.

If your gun has fixed sights, you want a bullet close to the weight of those in factory ammo 240-260 grains.

If you might hunt with it, then you want a meplat not less than 0.6 and not more than 0.7 of bullet diameter.

If you might use the ammo in a lever-action rifle, then you probably don't want a Keith type unless you know that your rifle will feed them.

For the Uberti clones of the Colt and for lever-action rifles you want a bullet of a nose length which does not exceed the overall cartridge length of factory ammo.

The RNFP cowboy bullets work well. If you don't plan on loading jacketed bullets, the RCBS Cowboy Dies do not work the brass excessively and come with two expander plugs for either .452 or .454 bullets.

This is a traditional bullet based on the 1920 Elmer Keith design from Modern Bond, as produced by Accurate Molds which I use in my .45 Colts, I cast them from 1:30 alloy from Roto Metals and load with 6.5 grains of Bullseye. This bullet also has adequate lubricant capacity to prevent foul-out in rifles with black powder using SPG lube, if that is attractive to you.

Attachment 165379
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use the traditional 250 ish grain RNFP from the Lyman/Ideal 454-190 mold. Personally, I use Red Dot usually with that boolit and it shoots well out of my Uberti 7 1/2" SAA Cattleman. I've been buying my Red Dot by the 8lb jug to keep the cost down and I use that in other cartridges as well.

For loading date and cast - check any of the four editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. If you don't have a copy of one of them, you need to add it to you library as they provide a wide variety of loading data for cast bullets in various design/weights for the commonly available powders.

Carbide dies are fine and they are no harder on 45 Colt than they are on any straight walled pistol casing. I have two sets of dies - a hodgepodge set - Lyman FL carbide, Lyman Expander, RCBS seating and a CH 45 ACP taper crimp if I decide to use a taper crimp - depends on what boolit I'm loading. I also have a set of the RCBS "Cowboy Dies" for the 45 which are designed for using cast. Although they will put a roll crimp on, I like to use my Lyman 310 tong tool and die to do that as I can "feel" the crimp better - enough to hole the boolit from jumping but not put a lot of stress on the case mouth.

The chambers in my Uberti Cattleman are quite generous so after the first FL sizing, I only only neck size after that - usually a tad more than the seating depth of the boolit. I started out with Star Line brass and prefer that although I do have some "range brass" of various head stamps - it all works well.

While I like the 250 gr RNFP boolit best, I also have an old Ideal mold that casts a 200 gr SWC and they work well out of the Cattleman too. I'm going to be trying some other weights - 230 gr. etc. but will probably stick to 200 gr or above for the shooting that I do.

Out of all of the pistol cartridges I re-load, the 45 Colt is by far my favorite. I don't load anywhere near max. as I don't see the need nor do I want to in the Cattleman. If I decided that I wanted to load hotter, I'd be looking at a BH. All I do is tumble lube my boolits in alox/paste wax for smokeless loads. For BP, I use the same BP lube I've been using for 50 + years and just smear it in the lube grooves before I seat the boolit.

The 45 Colt will also chamber and shoot the 45 Schofield which is a shorter casing. I have several hundred Star Line casings to play with just for the "history" of that cartridge.

There has been much written on here about 45 Colt. Do a search "45 Colt" and you should find quite a few threads/posts - some with "pet loads". You should be able to find quite a bit on the 45 Colt.

Good luck and have fun!

Awesome info, I may get the RCBS Carbide then. I'm used to taper crimping my pistol ammo but I only load 9mm and 45 acp right now. Is the 45 colt usually use a Roll Crimp?

I found 200 pcs of Starline brass so I better go snatch it up. I will also read up on "neck Sizing" for the 45 colt. Got some 45-45-10 on the way from white label lube as well.

I cast 45 acp 200 gr SWC now so I may give them a try as well..From what I understand some do that.

Time to tear up the search feature again

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The standard RCBS carbide dies work the brass too much and size cases enough to hold a jacketed bullet, and cases will not last as long. The COWBOY die sets do not work the brass as much. The Cowboy dies come in a BROWN box, not in a green box.

If you want a lighter bullet this one will do the job for you and fits within standard overall length in .45 Colt brass.

Attachment 165386

Most of the 200-gr. SWCs for .45 ACP have too long a nose and must be deep seated and crimped over the shoulder.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

If you want inexpensive, then look at this one:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/775...rain-flat-nose

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 452664 is an outstanding boolit for std. to med. loads in my Henry and Winchester '92.
    It also has a generous lube groove, and SPG works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinchrock View Post
    Lyman 452664 is an outstanding boolit for std. to med. loads in my Henry and Winchester '92.
    It also has a generous lube groove, and SPG works well for me.
    I need to get that ordered, I broke the cardinal rule and bought some Hornady XTP 250's to load up so I could shoot this beast!

Does anyone know if the NOE handles will work on this mold?

Boolit Master
    I think most people like me find the Lee 452-255 RF to be a very accurate boolit in 45 colt. I get a little better performance on game with the 452-424 and small HP but the end result as distance traveled after the shot is about the same.

I just got the NOE version of that mold. In the two guns I've shot them in they're more accurate than the Lyman but no more accurate than the Lee. Possibly not as accurate. I wanted the cup type HP that comes with the RG molds.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I think most people like me find the Lee 452-255 RF to be a very accurate boolit in 45 colt. I get a little better performance on game with the 452-424 and small HP but the end result as distance traveled after the shot is about the same.

I just got the NOE version of that mold. In the two guns I've shot them in they're more accurate than the Lyman but no more accurate than the Lee. Possibly not as accurate. I wanted the cup type HP that comes with the RG molds.
    The NOE is not in stock and he's not taking back orders...Drats. so the 452-255rf is accurate as the noe?

Boolit Master
    I believe it's as or more accurate. But I may not have over 50 to 100 down range.

My accuracy testing is a method I learned from Elmer Keith. I pick out a rock on yonder hillside and trying my best to take the same sight setting I see how close my shots all land to each other. We can blame it on my old eyes but the fact is Im not a very good long range pistol shot. However if one boolit lands all of them in a 2' circle while another needs a 10' circle I consider the first to be more accurate.
    The Lee 255 RF is the most accurate 45 cal boolit I have in my guns. I'm not sure how many 45 cal molds I have but its a good selection.

Boolit Buddy

I use Unique in my 45 Colt loads and have been very pleased with accuracy, I don't load very far past starting pressures. Unique gives me a better fill in the case than the faster powders

I started with the 2 cavity 452-255-RF and cast and shot hundreds of boolits of normal pressure loads through a Ruger NM Vaquero, and used the same boolit for higher pressure loads in the Blackhawk. Been happy with the accuracy after finding the right powder/load combination. I have had a six cavity for a few years now.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Banned

this one looks like a decent one.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=747

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    .454 dia. Looking for more of the .452 mold I think. I need to slug the barrel to make sure. Loading the Unique pretty lite I think right now. 7.1 gr of unique with 255 gr bullet. I will say the Unique sure throws a flame ball out the front and sides.

I guess I could buy the .454 and size down with my .452 die
    Last edited by lablover; 04-09-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never heard of carbide dies being harder on the brass than regular steel dies... Where did you get the data on that?

Boolit Master
    I've never found a better bullet than the Ideal/Lyman 454190 or a better powder to propel that bullet (sorry boolit) than Unique for 45 LC.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    My NOE 454-255-RF drops at .455x.4555 in both cavities. I size to .452 very easly.

Got two lee molds on the way the 452-255-RF as well as the 452-200-RF. Heck, at that price I had to

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I've never heard of carbide dies being harder on the brass than regular steel dies... Where did you get the data on that?
    Outpost has a lot of experience with 45 Colt. I have learned a lot from him on this caliber.

The issues affecting case life in the 45 colt center on the rather generous SAAMI specs for chambers. The steel dies have a slight taper so the brass does not get worked as much as a standard carbide die.

After much study and experimentation, I settled on a Redding dual ring sizer. They aren't cheap, but work beautifully. I believe my rate of case splits reduced more than 50%. ymmv

Another factor to consider is boolit diameter. Those generous chambers have fat throats in our family's rifles and pistols, so I standardized on .454 boolits. An NOE M type expander for the fatter boolits works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast