Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: my son discovered my 2, 45/70/s

Perm-Banned

my son discovered my 2, 45/70/s

i put this here because i use smokeless powder but i swage my own bullets and paperpatch them. my 16 year old son before a couple of days ago never took much interest in my 2 45/70s. he has a 270 that he shoots at the field behind the house off of our deck from time to time. he was getting low on 270 shells so i said, why dont you take the cpa out their and get that ice cream pail full of bullets out of the basement and bang away at those crows and such way out their. well he did but it started to rain and now im sure he will be doing that often. he isnt used to the long range peep sight yet so i just unscrewed the eye piece and let him use the big hole as a peep. it looks like ill be doing a lot of reloading but the 45/70 is easy to do and it is good he learns to shoot with out a scope. i shoot a 450 grain pp bullet at about 1600 ft per second and thats got plenty of zip and range to it. the barrel is a gain twist smith barrel out of canada and really accurate. some how since he was 11 years old most of my guns have ended up in his room but this one will stay mine and he can use it anytime. he wants to be a game warden so learning guns is important for his job some day.

Boolit Master

Enjoy your time loading, shooting and being with your boy! And I'm jealous about your 2 45/70s. And I feel your pain, my girl loves to shoot, since she's jumped on the 44 mag band wagon what used to last me a summer in cast boolits is now gone in a month or two....same when she found out she can shoot the .38 about as cheap as .22 and only a little more recoil.

Perm-Banned
    my daughter is getting a criminal justice degree at the u of s. dak. want to be a detective or highway patrol. shot my 38 special uberti 1871 1872 open top colt last summer and loved it. was easier to shoot than the .22. the 38 special is my favorite handgun cal.

Boolit Master
    Since the son likes to shoot get him into making Black powder out there in the yard. Than you both can shoot on the cheap. When the son isn't making cast or powder or doing his homework. He's probably shoot'in.
    Home reloading tasks are a good way to keep his interest in the shooting sports and not on those cute little girl'ies or (suspected?) wild child buddy/s of his. Anyway.. just a quick thought spoken your way is all.

Perm-Banned
    your right about keeping him busy. he want to go to college down south with you southern boys on a baseball scholarship, any college suggestions from any southern boys out their. his main thing is shooting, hunting and baseball. when i was young it was shooting, hunting and fishing. girls came last untill i got older, probably the same with him. im serious about a small southern college that gives out baseball scholarships. he is good at 16. pitches, hits and no balls get by him. my wife has spent a lot of money on mitts. he has the best. ask kroger, a member here from kentucky about my son. he is the real deal. sam and him bonded last hunting season. you southern boys would like him, he hunts and fishes, and plays baseball like he is trying out for the majors. kids are a wonderment. ive seen him stand up on the bow of a 14 ft. boat and pull every bass and dinner plate sun fish out of a hole in the reeds. his first buck was at 11 years old and it was a 98 yard shot under the left ear. he only weighed 85 pounds. now he is turning into a tall norweigen viking. never told him how to shoot after that first buck. his bedroom wall is full of wall hangers. he has a 9 by 6 white tail rack up their that may never be duplicated again, non typical. and a huge 5 by 5 mule deer rack and skull with a a tusk on the right side. the last tusk on a deer in neb. was in the 60/s. if they are out their my son can find them. enough but im proud. want him to play baseball for a nice little college down south. P.S. God and his son are real important to him also.

Are there any films on youtube of your son pitching?
    I can see if an acquaintance of mine who happens to be a pitching scout in the majors can take a look. At least get an opinion.

In Remembrance

Try U.T. Lots of sports as well as hunting and fishing opertunities here in Tennessee.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Perm-Banned
    he is just 16 so three seasons to develop before college. he keeps up with the older boys and is really commited to the game. he hasnt reached his physical potential yet and should be at leaste 6 ft. tall before he graduates or taller as a lot of tall norweigens in his background. he is build like a athelete and two years from now if he keeps progressing then we will start looking around. thanks for all the input. he was helped with his pictching who knows baseball and the mans two sons were really good at it. one works for espn and the other for the minn. twins. one never knows, his commitment is the best a person could have. he would love to fish and hunt in tenn. his who life beside God is hunting, fishing and baseball.

Arizona State is a great baseball school. He better be good - the competition is fierce.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Perm-Banned
    fishing season opened today. matt and his buddy went over to sand lake in the sandhills of ne. lake is full of huge bass and northern pike. maybe they will connect. im sure the compition will be really hard for a baseball scholarship but the good thing about being an american, one can dream and go for that dream. i did and i went back to college at 37 years old and got what i finally wanted and had a 30 year career in it. a dr. once told me, when you get a hollow gnaw in your mind you have to go for what is gnawing at you. even if you miss you will get something out of it, even if it is just relief. life in america is wonderful, dreams can still be dreamed and fulfilled.