MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: USED mold values

Boolit Buddy

USED mold values

I have a chance to buy several molds or 31 to be more accurate. They are a mix of Lee with the handles, Lyman and Ideal molds.

Some of the Lyman and Ideal molds have handles but the handles are in okay condition but very used condition. The Lyman and Ideal molds have surface rust but just on the outside of the mold. They were stored in a damp basement.

I know what a lot of these molds cost new but these are far from new and there are no boxes with the molds.

So, what I want to know is a average price to pay for these molds? Most of the ones I really want are the Lyman and Ideal molds because they suit my needs for casting.

The mold mix covers round balls, big bore conicals, pistol calibers and some rifle calibers.

The molds are from an estate and I really don't want to rip them off but I would like a deal if I can get one just like you would so without seeing them give me your best reasonable guess at price based on description.

I have considered just buying them all and reselling the ones I don't want. The problem with that is most of the ones I don't need or want are the Lee molds and the round ball molds.

So what advice can you give me on used molds that will need a good cleaning before they could be sold??

I know this is very vague so if you feel like typing and helping a fellow out I would appreciate your opinion.

Smokepole50

If it is an estate sale, it is obvious the family has no sentimental interest in them. I would offer them $250 for the lot and see what they do. Yes, this is low, but then they are done with them.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

Your are correct, they are done with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was kind of thinking $10 apiece but with a lot of used Lee molds in the mix, $250 for all sounds fair. Then you have to deal with getting rid of all the ones you don't want, and nobody else may either.

Any four cavities in the bunch? Single cavity molds don't sell nearly as well as doubles do.

Robert

Boolit Master

Go to home depot and get a bottle of metal rescue. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workshop-...0487/203247483 dump every mold that has rust in there in it and let it soak. Take a tooth brush to them. Rinse them out and hit it with RemOil. done and done, good as new.
    As far as pricing, do $10 for the Lee and 20 to 30 for the Lyman/Ideal. Still gives you room to make some $$. If that's too much offer them a price you can sleep with. (split the difference of what you can sell them for)

Boolit Grand Master

Used Lee 2 cavities have essentially no value. They cost as much to ship as folks are willing to pay. Used Lyman and RCBS 2 cavity molds go for $40 pretty regularly with some going for more. I'd count the Lyman and RCBS molds, multiply by $30 and that would be my offer.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

without seeing them,I'd probably offer $200.
    I wouldn't spend much time cleaning them. Just a toothbrush and hot water and dish soap...just like a new mold.
    Let the buyer clean them with a more aggressive cleaner if they wish to...no sense risking damaging a mold...as well as spending time to do so, just to sell it.
    that my 2¢
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Good investment at $200, value will increase after the election. Remember the 22 bator 6 cavity selling for over $200 over on ebay.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have a feeling most of the molds I don't want will be tough to move so they are just a waste of money.

A more accurate count would be 18 molds with handles and 15 without handles. 13 Lyman molds, 2 RCBS molds, 6 Ideal molds and 12 Lee molds. All the Lee molds have handles.

A list of the molds I am most interested in is...
    Lyman 314299
    Lyman 285488
    Lyman 287346
    Lyman 311410E
    Lyman 311316AW
    Lyman 358315CI
    Ideal 358432
    Ideal 358429
    Ideal 360271S
    Ideal 285488
    Lee 90368
    Lee 90463
    and just to have them
    RCBS 40-300 CSA
    and
    RCBS 350-R

Most of the rest are various round balls, one large mini ball, couple small plier type molds with RB and mini combined, and various single and double cavity Lee molds. Some large pistol molds as well, 44 mag and 45 LC.

My guess is that the molds shown above represent 80-90% of the value of all the molds based on what most people shoot.
    Last edited by Smokepole50; 04-01-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    In bulk. $10-$15 per mould Lyman/Ideal,maybe $20 for good RCBS. LEEs sell best in packages due to shipping. The ones you listed are all good ones. Is that the ones you want to keep? Round balls sell slow and cheap on here.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats what needs to be taken in account with a purchase like this. Some moulds are more popular than others, some are discontinued and wanted, Some are almost like the plauge no one wants it. Then the next is is there a forum to sell where you can get multiple intrests in it. 1 buyer he sets the price 2 or more and its a cometiton to see who "wins" it. A popular discontinued mould that isnt readily available can bring way more than new price just because of this. I would look them over very good, check a few sales sites for them and see what they are selling for then go from there.

Moderator Emeritus

I am one that has a rb mold in every caliber I shoot over 30 cal. They make great plinkers, and there is no sense giving them away if you can use them as such. You can really have fun with multiples in straight wall cases.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Buy the lot and just take it off there hands.

You can sort them and post the ones you don't want here.

If you find a true treasure in the heap and sell it for a lot. And you feel guilty. Send them some more cash. Or not.

Estate sales are great for collection's.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Boolit Bub
    If you end up buying them, I have a BIL that may be interested in the Lee 45 LC mold.