Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas checks on PC'd bullets

Boolit Master
    Phantom, looks to me like it should work. You have a larger cartridge, heavier bullet, but your anticipated pressure is in the range we have been working and so far our bullets have all been stable. Everything we have tested for rifles has been either a round nose of spire point, both designs have given good results with loads first developed with copper jacketed bullets. We haven't done anything with hollow points so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

What some don't understand is with all the engineering tables that have been developed at some point someone had to test the theory and see when it broke. Powder coating is nothing new but using it to make a polymer jacket for a bullet is, so we are in an area where the only data that exists is what we make, but for me that's the fun of it.

Boolit Mold
    You gentlemen have piqued my curiosity about PC coatings. I remember about 40 years ago Smith & Wesson sold "Nyclad" bullets that were not supposed to create lead dust on indoor shooting ranges. They shot well as far as I remember and I'm wondering if the coating they used was similar to what you are using. If I could get a .30/06 to shoot cast 150-180 gr. bullets at 26-28 hundred FPS with powder coating, I would be ecstatic. Is anyone familiar with the process used on the S&W ammo?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I was wondering if a light coat of PC on the shank then curing with a GC in place would "cement" the GC in place before you PC the entire boolit. Then It could be sized afterwards?? Just thinking.....
    Yes I just install the check then coat and size the bullet . Never lost a check in a suppressor yet with that method
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    You gentlemen have piqued my curiosity about PC coatings. I remember about 40 years ago Smith & Wesson sold "Nyclad" bullets that were not supposed to create lead dust on indoor shooting ranges. They shot well as far as I remember and I'm wondering if the coating they used was similar to what you are using. If I could get a .30/06 to shoot cast 150-180 gr. bullets at 26-28 hundred FPS with powder coating, I would be ecstatic. Is anyone familiar with the process used on the S&W ammo?
    You can. Gas checked and PC bullets work at some pretty high velocities.

The problem is the spin rate of the cast bullet. For a 1-10 twist 30 cal the bullets will start to lose accuracy as you get over 2200fps. Several in here have gone to higher velocities with slower twist barrels but other kinds of problems start to show up in the 2700fps range. FWIW, some of those folks use conventional lubes. Just look up the several threads on high vel cast rifle bullets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234