WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: NOE Dropping Nose Too Large

Boolit Master

NOE Dropping Nose Too Large

Recently purchased the NOE 246-105 5 cavity as my old RCBS DC was too slow (we use a lot of bullets). Casts beautiful bullets, about 100 grains as cast, gas check fit is excellent. Loaded a few dummy rounds to check feed and fit and found they are hard to close the bolt on in my M70 unless seated with the sized portion even with the case mouth, and even at this seating depth can feel it start into the rifling. My Win M70 has a lot of freebore between the end of the chamber and start of the rifling, unfortunately my Rem M700 does not. It requires major force to close the bolt and if you don't fire the round opening the action will leave the bullet lodged in the rifling.

A quick measurement shows the diameter ahead of the drive bands as .243, a really tight fit in a nominally .237 bore. Bullets that I stuck in the rifling show deep indentations from the lands.

Not sure how to proceed. I know my alloy is about is roughly 4% tin and 6-8% antimony and will shrink less than WW's, but best I can determine even straight WW's will only reduce the diameter about .001, still awfully large.

Any advice or suggestions? I can replace the mold with one that will work in both or even get a different mold for use in the M700, but am concerned that another NOE mold will have the same issues.

Get the NOE push through sizer tool. Then you can size the nose any diameter you want.

Boolit Master
    Looked at NOE site and think I found it, but no idea how it works or what additional stuff I need to use it.

Just find "push through sizer" in the idex on the left of the main web site. After you click on it, you will see the basic tool kit at the top of the page. This is what you get when it is ordered. Then you will need the caliber specific push pin and under that find the diameter of nose bushing or base bushing that you want. You need to order the pin and bushings separately. complete instructions are included.

I have been using both bullet and nose sizing bushings for a while and this kit works great. especially being able to size noses down to whatever you want in 1/.001's increments.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    OP, another option may be to get a 6mm/243 throating reamer and lengthen the throat of both rifle to the same fit. I like Manson reamers and find them very good.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

Call NOE and ask if they have a mold from another run with a smaller nose.

I'd try casting the boolits from WW first, that's the alloy that NOE molds are based on, size wise.

Boolit Master
    Getting reloaded cartridges to fit two different chambers is not as easy as it sounds. Your Winchester has freebore and will fire a slightly longer cartridge than the Remington. If you want to load rounds that fit both, it is going to be a compromise unless you do something to make the chambers equal.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

OP, is this the mold you have? Al does great work and I know he stands behind his products 100% . When you contacted Al, what was his response? I believe you may have a pair of undersized bores, or chambers with short throats. I was part of the original conversations on this design and so was the banned Bullshop, along with many other fine indeviduals. The boolit I believe is supposed to be a tight fit for tight longer range accuracy. The design was proportioned to fit the 243 win cartridge like a glove, I am sorry, like the hand in a well fitting glove.

Please let us know what Al has said about your delema. Has Al told you, there is nothing he can do, or can be done?

Ken

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Boolit Master
    Tried the WW option first as it was easiest. Sure enough when using straight COWW bore riding section comes in at .237+. Took a little fiddling with alloy and mold temp, an casting speed but they are now coming out the right size. Driving bands are .246+ but should be okay as I size to .244. Thanks for all the suggestions, another problem solved.

Boolit Master

Rich/Wis, that is great!!!

In the 7, 6mm /243 cal rifles I supply boolitz for, .246 is universally chambered with ease. My $tar die is .246 and I honed out my 450s die to .246. You might want to try some at as cast diam.

Good work, alloy and temp are important.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!