Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Poor Quality Molds and Gas Checks

Boolit Master

Poor Quality Molds and Gas Checks

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows I am a fan of NOE bullet moulds. My main reasons are simple, NOE makes a quality mold for a very reasonable price. The sprue plate is heavy, makes clean cuts and doesn't have burrs on the underside that cut into the top of the mold. The NOE molds produce a round bullet, which is uniform between the cavities.

It is the last statement that brought up a topic I had never thought about, round bullets and gas checks. In a conversation yesterday with a gentleman that I believe knows more about gas checks that any other. The topic came up and he said, " What most caster's don't consider when they buy cheap Gas Check Molds is not only are the bullets not round, but the base that holds the gas check is not round either". "Sizing only make the bands round it does not make the base for the check round".

Since I don't have any poor quality gas check molds I never thought about this, but it did bring up a point that an out of round base would be lopsided bullet. How much this would affect accuracy I guess I will never know because I will stick with what I NOE works. (sorry I had to throw that in)

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've had a couple molds that had an out of round gas check shank. They were old molds and not worth screwing with so I cut the shank out of the mold and made it a plain base.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I've had a couple molds that had an out of round gas check shank. They were old molds and not worth screwing with so I cut the shank out of the mold and made it a plain base.
    Sounds like a good fix to me.