Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman Quality Control?

Lyman Quality Control?

Has the lyman QC on molds improved from 3/4 years ago. I have only used lee 2 cavities in the past and picked up a lyman 452460 and handles. I keep reading about all these lyman mold issues which makes me want to return this mold to amazon and pick up a RCBS or NOE. Im interested in the lyman for longevity and durability while I am still on the steep side of the casting learning curve.

Any recent experience? Am I much ado about nothing?

Welcome to the site!

I've bought just one new Lyman mold in the past year. Quality of the mold itself was great. The problem is that Lyman molds are made to cast with Lyman #2 alloy. Most of us typically use an alloy of COWW's and some tin which casts smaller. My new one was no different, it cast on the small side for what I wanted it for. That's why the custom mold makers are doing so well. They cater to our wants and needs. Lyman and other larger mold makers ignore us.

That said, how's the size on your 452460 mold? Both of mine run about .453"-.454", just right. My favorite and most accurate 45ACP boolit! I size to .452" in a Lee push thru sizing die in the press and then tumble lube with one coat of Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL).

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    First, welcome to the forum!

That Lyman mold will outlast you and your grandchildren. Yodogsandman covered it well. I have probably twenty-five Ideal/Lyman molds of all different ages - most "old" but a few new ones and they all cast well. As mentioned, it all depends on what you're melting and pouring as to the size they drop. As far as "longevity" of a Lyman - as an example, I have a 575-213 hollow base 58 Minie Ball mold that I purchased new in about 1963 or so. With the set of large handles, it cost me a whopping $35 back then. It's over 50 years old, I've poured literally tens of thousands of Minies with that mold and it's still going strong and will be, long after I'm gone.

I alos have several single cavity and a double cavity Ideal/Lyman 452-460 molds and mine work and drop pretty much as Yodogsandman describes his. I don't have a 45 ACP but I use that boolit in 45 Colt/Schofield and it works great out of a SAA revolver.

While I have a collection of molds that I have put together over the years, I am slowly changing over to some NOE molds to replace them for two reasons. First, I can get them in a .001 or .002 larger than a Lyman in the same or similar design which gives me the option of a little bit larger diameter to use in certain pistols or I can size the down as needed and Second, I am trying to go with 4 cavities to cut down on molding session times for those boolits that I shoot the most.

The key to keeping your molds so they will last is to take care of them and not abuse them. Store them properly when finished with them, etc. I have had excellent luck with Al's molds that I have from NOE - he makes a good mold and I find that I prefer the aluminum blocks for the type of casting I do. There are many good custom makers - NOE, Accurate, Arsenal, etc. to name a few. They may run a little more but they are worth it.

If you are starting out of if you want to try a certain design mold, there is nothing wrong with a Lee mold. The quality of them seems to have gotten better from what I've seen and read. I probably have ten of them right now and have owned others in the past and have only had one bad experience with the quality of one. At about $20 each, it's a cheap way to try a boolit design. I have one double cavity Lee mold for the tumble lube TL358-158 SWC that drops 'em like butter and they have proven to be one of the most accurate boolits I've used in several of my 38/357 SAA revolvers. I am getting an order ready to go in to Titan for one of the six cavity molds and if it drops like the double cavity mold I have, it will be a fun mold to cast with.

One word of caution on the Ideal/Lyman molds if you buy any "used". As molds are made, the tooling (cherries) wears like any tooling will. If you see a Ideal/Lyman mold that has the number followed by a "U", it will be an "undersized" cavity, usually as a result of being cut with a cherry that is worn. example - 358-311 U.

I have some RCBS, O'Haus, etc. molds as well and I have no complaints on any of them. YMMV

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you for the responses. I haven't opened the mold yet and I'm now leading more to returning it. With my surplus rifles I already know I need bigger molds after slugging the bores. I have a good collection of Lee 2 cavities already and they seem to cast small or as advertised which isn't ideal for my rifle bores. NOE for about the same money has a 4 cavity aluminum h&g style.

That NOE mold is a good one but, at least in my pistol, doesn't shoot quite as accurately as the Lyman 452460. It WILL just rain nice boolits, though! I can empty my Lee 20 lb pot in no time. The same cast results as using the 4 cavity, Lyman 452460. Your results could be different. Both are great molds!

That Lyman might be just a little easier for a new guy to cast with, though. Steel holds the heat a bit better and is more durable. I still prefer steel, when I can use steel molds.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 03-27-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Boolit Master

I like the Lyman mould, cast iron will last along time as others said. I have 170gr 358 mould that I bought at gun show years ago, it has the brass and wood handles real nice and old it makes the finest boolits. Then I have 2 newer 314299 both drop grossly undersized boolits, discouraged I packed one away and beagled the other. One lazy day I decided to lap one out. Took awhile and about 20 turned brass laps and a coffee can full of moded boolits for laps three casting sessions and I got results. I did a good job, no flashing, only oblong .0005 and drops .315 across the grooves. I knew from reading here what I would expect. Maybe Lyman should hang out with NOE for bit.
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 03-27-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Thank you gentlemen. You answered my question, lyman mold is in a box for returning. Will order NOE soon. Out of stock on the 5 cavity so I may wait for that.

Every noe mold I have is a 5 cavity. They can cast a big pile of bullets pretty quick. Maybe not as fast as a lee 6 cavity that's well behaved, but quick enough.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

My several modern Lyman molds, quality has been good but not perfect. My problem with Lyman is their numbering system. They sold me a mold labeled "311041", which Midway now lists as "311041 (.309)." I guess Midway was tired of all the returns. What's more that .309" was only .3085" with WW+2%.

Since I am reloading for a barrel that slugs out at .310", I really needed a boolit that matched the nominal mold size. I got there through lapping, but it was a PITA.

Lesson learned. I only buy a modern Lyman when .0005" over nominal is acceptable... which means I don't buy Lyman much any more. I have a bucket of monotype, but feel no need to waste it just for an undersized mold when there are so many good mold makers out there. I spoke to their techs about it, they are very proud of being out of step with modern casters, and they intend to stay that way.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Dealing with Lyman's attitude(s) over the years has been almost a hobby in itself and I got tired of trying to do so a long time ago. I have quite a few Lyman molds that were acquired back in the day and they (most are one cavity) are good molds that I have kept and still use. I have not bought a mold from them in a long time and won't now. Without resorting to a rant I will simply say that I refuse to be told what alloy to use to accommodate their little games that benefit their own production decisions. They say that they are in sync with what is best for the shooter, but they are not! At one time they were a sponsor on this forum, but terminated their sponsorship when they got criticized/told off by concerned members over some of their antics and products. LLS

Boolit Master
    I am as low-tech as an old guy can be. However, I have learned stuff here that has salvaged problem moulds. One is lapping rusty moulds, which as mentioned here can also be used to enlarge one a little bit. The other is powdercoating to increase the size of the boolit. A few months ago I bought the lyman 457??? for my 45-70, knowing that I would powdercoat it up to size. Two coats of PC brings it up to about .461 and it's a snug fit in unsized brass. It cycles, chambers and shoots just fine in 2 different rifles.

Man, I love this job!

have you checked out accurate molds? they have a huge selection and you can specify if you want the tolerances to +-.001, +.002 or something like that, but they ask what kind of alloy you are using and what rifle and if you have any other notes or requests, I cant afford one yet, all I have are lee's but when I can I am going with them for a 4 cavity 44mag and .458 combo mold
    good luck, and have fun.
    Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Thank you OK KIDD. I have a 25-5 with 4555 throats, accurate looks like they can get me just what I need. I will need to return my Lyman mold handles and geab rcbs or lee. I think NOE molds can use rcbs if so thats perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk