RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
PBcastco Inline Fabrication
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Shop tips

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard96 View Post
    The other day I decidet my several decades old 45 Lyman Lubesizer was due for complete dissembling and cleaning. To avoid damaging/marking the Grease Tube which I wanted to unscrew for cleaning, I wound a bit of electrician Tape around it then fastened a Hose clamp on top of it and now had a perfect gripping surface for my Chanel Pliers.

Cheers
    Treat yourself to a set of Vice Grip pliers. Once you learn to drive them, they are magic and just don't slip. I have used strips of copper shim under the jaws to protect things.

Try and get some original Vice Grips, they are now owned by Irwin and I have no experience of the new ones, but I can't imagine things didn't suffer when some big corporation takes over an iconic brand.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Second this. I use them to clean damaged bolt heads and to re-cut slots in worn bolts. Several different shapes are included in each set.

Have to be picky when it comes to Harbor Freight. But some things they have work well.

Isaac
    Same here. Extremely useful around the shop

Boolit Buddy
    early on in this thread was a discussion on tapping. One problem I have had in installing Bomar sights in hard 45ACP slides was breaking 6-48 taps in the slides, happened way to often. I found dental burrs, the 1/16" dia diamond coated long pointed ones in a DREMEL, could cut out the flutes of the tap, enabling the tap removal in pieces. Then punch the remains of the tap out into the firing pin hole.

Later, I found the best way to install Bomars was to drill out the area for the screw hole with a 1/8" carbide drill, then follow up with a 3/16" end mill (in the milling machine) deep enough for the screw plus a bit. Then make a tight fitting slug up in the lathe, drive it into the hole, and drill and tap it 6-48. A side benefit is the slug cuts into the dovetail for the sight, cutting the slug to allow the sight to fit will lock the slug unto place!

Steve

Banned
    I have a box with probably 200 various diamond tool bits from eBay/China. What costs $5 in the hardware store here is about 20 cents from China and often better quality. I have made punches, dies and tools of all types with these things. These diamond coated bits even go through high speed steel easily.
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-05-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Banned
    I used 3/16" steel rod for my 22 cleaning rod. Drilled and tapped the end to 8-32 and coated it with come clear heat shrink tubing.
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Banned
    Being a computer tech, I take laptops apart and they invariably have different types of very small screws. I use an ice cube tray and start putting groups of screws in one opening then the next. That way I can remember where which screw goes where. Have seen computers destroyed by putting a couple of mm too long of a screw in and shorting out on the other side.
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Banned
    I use a 10 jewelers loupe on a regular basis. I am a PC technician and had to send pictures of a cracked computer chip to a guy about 6 years ago. I put the loupe over the end of my digital camera and presto. 10x mag on my picture. I have been using that technique and recently I purchased a loupe off eBay (China) for like $1.86 delivered. It was made so that the bezel could unsnap and the lens could come out. After cutting down and gluing it over the lens on my old digital camera, I can snap the lens in and out now. The electronic focus works through the lens giving nice clear photos. You can go to some of my other posts and see some of the pictures that I have posted taken with it. So there you have it. I have a micro camera mod for $1.86.
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Banned
    A trick I learned earlier this year is amazing. I had stuck bleeder nipples on my car. I have broken the off before and did not want to have to deal with again. So I scoured the internet for ideas. One was heat up the bolt or screw that is stuck with a propane torch. Doesn't have to be super hot, maybe 500 Fahrenheit or less probably. Then stick a candle right on the joint where it is stuck. Supposedly the capillary action will draw the wax in and it will make the thing able to be unscrewed. I have to say WOW does that work! If you ever had a very tight bolt and thought you were near the breaking point and were starting to sweat....never got to that point. It unscrewed like nothing was wrong. Did 3 nipples like that and a couple of bolts since.

Boolit Bub
    For Remington 1100/870 shooters who remove the trigger group and have the shell latch fall out:

The latch is under tension and there isn't room to hold it in place when you attempt to put the trigger group back in. Conventionally, your recourse is to either take it to a gunsmith, or buy a thirty dollar staking tool, then try to stake it yourself.

I hit on a less dangerous/costly solution this evening while working on my 1100LW 20 gauge. You just degrease everything with any one of a number of products (BC Gun Scrubber works great) then put the latch in place loosely with the front trigger pin in place to keep the holes in register. Press the latch into its groove and add a drop of cyanocrylate adhesive (Super Glue), the liquid stuff, not the gel. Capillary action will suck the adhesive into the gap. Hold it for a few seconds until after the glue sets up and then install your trigger group as usual.

Most probably the glue will let go long before the next time you remove the trigger group, but once the trigger group and trigger pins are in place, the latch will stay in place just fine. The residue from the glue is easy to remove and the process can be repeated as often as necessary.

Two cautionary statements; don't use too much glue... just a drop, unless you want to see how the action works with the parts glued together, and if you use bare hands, you run the risk of leaving some of your skin behind after the glue sets up.
    Last edited by daleraby; 11-11-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    What a Great topic! I had not run across it before now. Thanks to daleraby for posting here today!

I have some tips to share, so I will post them sometime soon. After just reading this whole topic, I need to let my eyes rest.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Traffers tip of the hot wax goes back to steam engine days,when beeswax was always used,and as said,works like magic.I expect most here have some beeswax.

One thing I've found very helpful in both my reloading room and shop are file cabinets. They are cheap sturdy and best of all mouse proof if you keep them closed. The tall 4 and 5 drawer ones are great for parts bins and tool storage. The 2 drawer ones are great for under the bench. The best ones however are the card file cabinets if you can find them. The drawers are 7 inches deep and built HEAVY and die boxes will fit in there on edge two across. My brother calls all mine "white trash tool boxes". I continue to point out that my 5$ file cabinets hold just as much stuff as his 5k snap-on monster box.

Boolit Mold
    If it hasn't already been mentioned. Those silica desiccant packages that come in shoeboxes and electronics and whatnot have a few uses. Instead of throwing them away I keep a pill bottle full of them and throw them in my sealed tool boxes and fishing boxes and containers where I want to keep the moisture down. Don't really know how much they actually help or how long they last, but it doesn't hurt. Theres a few other uses for them and a way to re-dry and reuse them I read about in an old gunsmithing book, but I'd have to look it up again.
    JW

"Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government Were Paying For" - Will Rogers
    "If a man can't piss in his own front yard, he's living to close to town." - Edward Abbey via Tom Russell

Boolit Master

If I had to guess the prescription drug industry uses more of those desiccant pacs than anyone else. Our son is a pharmacist and he saved me at least a gallon container full. many of them are the small perforated plastic cylinders. I put one or two in every die box and iron mold container and change them out about every 6 mos.

I bet your neighborhood druggist would save some for you. Not sure how Walgreens or CVS would react to such a request.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man

Very best bench light

I bought one of these for my wife to start seedlings indoors. Then I bought one for my bench. As your eyes age, lots of light helps. And this has a wide light spectrum which really shows colors. It's a VERY BRIGHT artificial sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41uMoBdoKvL.SL160.jpg 
Views:	1064 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	268253

Quote Originally Posted by trebleplink View Post
    I bought one of these for my wife to start seedlings indoors. Then I bought one for my bench. As your eyes age, lots of light helps. And this has a wide light spectrum which really shows colors. It's a VERY BRIGHT artificial sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41uMoBdoKvL.SL160.jpg 
Views:	1064 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	268253
    That would work well, but you'd want to stop using it an hour or so before bedtime, the blue light would interfere with your sleep.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

One necessary Item in any shop whether metal wood or other is a emergency kit mounted out in the open where its easy to get to. Dosnt need to be a lot but it needs to be there. Bandages some ointment a roll of gauze coban tape a couple sanitary napkins in sealed wrappers ( these are sterile and great to cover a larger cut very absorbent). tweezers scissors peroxide or other means of cleaning a cut. Cuts nicks and burns are common and you need a means of caring for them when they happen

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One necessary Item in any shop whether metal wood or other is a emergency kit mounted out in the open where its easy to get to. Dosnt need to be a lot but it needs to be there. Bandages some ointment a roll of gauze coban tape a couple sanitary napkins in sealed wrappers ( these are sterile and great to cover a larger cut very absorbent). tweezers scissors peroxide or other means of cleaning a cut. Cuts nicks and burns are common and you need a means of caring for them when they happen
    I thought that was was the bag of shop rags was for! HaHa!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Another very important Item is one or several working Fire Extinguishers. In all those years Years I never needed mine, but better to have them and not need them. Also don't forget to take them once in awhile out of their Cradle, tip the over 180 degree and wait a second or two till you feel the "plump" meaning the material inside loosened up and is now again in prime condition ready to be deployed.

Cheers

Boolit Man
    My favorite bucket is a cat litter bucket.
    They are square so stack neatly next to each other, stack on on top of the other perfectly, for storage when empty you can stack a hundred in a small space and are right around 5 gallons in size so are a manageable weight loaded. If I ever have to move again, the shop will be easy to pack up.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast