MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee makes a comeback!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have several Lee molds and all the pistol molds have worked fairly well with the 6 cavs working better than the 2 or 1 cav molds. The 4 or 5 Lee nose rider molds I have are under size on the nose from 2 to 6 thousands. I'm either the unluckiest guy in the world or Lee never made a nose rider that fits the bore. I don't expect a $20 mold to be perfect but .006 undersize on a nose is going to take more than a little work to fix. My 459 405 HB Lee casts between .453 and .457 depending on where you measure it and out of round by as much as .004. Why cant they get their rifle molds to cast proper sizes like their pistol molds? I guess making some more dies for the Swag-O-Matic to reshape and size the Lee boolits is probably the easiest. It sure worked for the Lee 458 405.

Boolit Buddy
    Love Lee stuff too for the value. Out of 100+ different Lee products I purchased, only one bad 243 die and they replaced it no charge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have several Lee molds and all the pistol molds have worked fairly well with the 6 cavs working better than the 2 or 1 cav molds. The 4 or 5 Lee nose rider molds I have are under size on the nose from 2 to 6 thousands. I'm either the unluckiest guy in the world or Lee never made a nose rider that fits the bore. I don't expect a $20 mold to be perfect but .006 undersize on a nose is going to take more than a little work to fix. My 459 405 HB Lee casts between .453 and .457 depending on where you measure it and out of round by as much as .004. Why cant they get their rifle molds to cast proper sizes like their pistol molds? I guess making some more dies for the Swag-O-Matic to reshape and size the Lee boolits is probably the easiest. It sure worked for the Lee 458 405.
    I don't think you are the unluckiest as I had the same kind of problems. I realize Lee is less expensive than any other mold manufacturer and some seem to be lucky and get a mold that is better quality of maybe it just works for their needs.

I shot in competition in my younger years and too many years for me to accept poor accuracy, whether it be rifle or handgun. The key to developing an accurate load is consistency in your process and components and I didn't get that will the bullets out of my Lee molds. I do get that out of my other molds and especially the NOE molds. I would rather have one really good mold that a box full of molds that inconsistent bullets.

Boolit Master
    Oh, I'm getting consistent boolits. Each mold makes it's nose a consistent size. There are consistently undersize by a certain amount from each mold. I will be fixing them sooner or later. I just won't have the time for a while. Yep, I have 5 NOE molds and they cast really close to what they are supposed to. I just don't see why lee can cut a pistol mold that cast what they are supposed to (I have a bunch that do) yet they can't cut a nose rider that casts what it is supposed to. I think I have 4 or 5 Lee nose riders and the best of the bunch casts about .002 undersize on the nose. One of these days I will open up the nose part. Until then they will set on the shelf.

Well, to throw my Nickel in there, I have had 5 Lee molds and three NOE molds. The NOE molds are nice, and expensive and not entirely trouble free. The two that are hp, have given me problems. Yes, not hot enough is the main reason, won't drop from pins, but even when hot one or both cavities stick. I have to rap it more than I should. All 4 of the Lee molds I have now work almost flawless. Drop good bullets nearly first try and are not undersized. Now I think the sprueplate is thin, but for the $, the molds are GOOD. Not OK, not fair, GOOD! NO ONE ELSE CAN MAKE A MOLD AS WELL FOR THE EQUIVALENT $. If they could, they should, a lot of us would buy one....... And if Lee did not exist, I probably would not be a caster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Once burned, actually more than once, I think I will just stay away from Lee and spend a little more for a NOE mold that will give the bullets you describe from every mold NOE makes. “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
    Couldn't have stated it more eloquently. Life is to short to buy shoddy goods.

I probably wouldn't be casting if it wasn't for the low prices of lee dies, molds, the sizing kit, the ram prime, and the case trimmer. I am unemployed due to health issues, and rarely have much money to spend.i get very depressed, and reloading and casting is like therapy to me. and shooting for next to nothing is great too! yeah, some of there molds can be a little delicate, for instance, just the other day I dropper my .458 405grHB mold, and now I cant get the pin or whatever to line back up. I can force them together and it would probably still make boolets, but trying to do that over and over, while blazing hot is not my idea of a relaxing pastime. but for the price, it would just be ignorant to complain. 90% or better of the things ive bought from them have worked great.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    All my Lee Molds (7) were bought in the early 80's, they all have been perfect. When did quality slip?

I own one Lee mould. I purchased it about the first of the year. Love the quantity and the basic quality, but it casts undersize, it's the 6 cavity, 175 grain, 401 diameter for 40 cal. I have a serious leading problem because of this mould. I know, I own the problem and it's my fault that I haven't contacted Lee. I'm gonna make one more limited pour and check diameters again and I'll also have some unsized bullets. They cast right at .3995/.401 diameter and most only get a partial re-size during lubing.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I own one Lee mould. I purchased it about the first of the year. Love the quantity and the basic quality, but it casts undersize, it's the 6 cavity, 175 grain, 401 diameter for 40 cal. I have a serious leading problem because of this mould. I know, I own the problem and it's my fault that I haven't contacted Lee. I'm gonna make one more limited pour and check diameters again and I'll also have some unsized bullets. They cast right at .3995/.401 diameter and most only get a partial re-size during lubing.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    Try powder coating the bullets. It will fill them out another .001 .002 if you are lucky. worked for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12