Sounds like what I mentioned in post 30, you just bend that tail up over the cow's back. I don't know if it's a nerve thing or what, but that will stop them, almost always. I do remember one especially mean old bat that was still able to kick no matter what. Tight "kicker" bar, kinking the tail hard; nothing stopped her. I think we finally just sold her for slaughter.

I remember one mean bull that almost killed my dad. He slipped in the mud and slid under the fence just as the bull slammed into the fence above him. You think the old cowboys carried their six-guns for rustlers and outlaws? Nope, it was for mean old cows and angry bulls.

Another time my mom was checking the dry stock out in the pasture- a bunch of dry cows, heifers, and one bull (different from Killer above, as I recall). There was a stock tank in the field, pump and float all rigged up, but the cows were all muddy because they had been wading up to their bellies in mud to drink from the irrigation ditch for some reason. My mom stayed there to watch and see why they weren't drinking from the tank.

Every time a cow would approach the tank, this bull would run over and chase her away. I guess he was protecting his herd from that scary metal tank of doom or something! Anyhow, he stood by the tank glaring and snorting at her across the fence. She yelled at him to try to get him to go away and let the cows drink, but he just glared. She picked up a big rock laying on the ground and chucked it at him as hard as she could. By luck it hit him square between the eyes! She said he went to his knees and blood trickled down his nose- she started to worry she'd killed him.

He staggered for a few seconds, then just shook his head and wandered off to the other corner of the field to pout. The cows all rushed over and drained the tank. From that time on whenever he saw her he kept as much distance as he could. Stay away from the scary lady who throws big rocks!