Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tractor experts what is in my barn?

Boolit Master

Tractor experts what is in my barn?

I found these cleaning up the horse barn and have no idea what they are and what they are used for. They do not seem to have a place in my IH 460 to go.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160316_120250.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	163725

in Remebrance
    Those are anti-kick devices for cattle. One would be placed just in front of the pelvis with the arms extending down the flanks. Turn the screw and clamp her and she won't kick while milking, medicating, etc. Haven't seen one in over 50 yrs. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 ^ Now all you need to do is get a good Holstein, a clean bucket and a three legged stool! And . . oh . . . son't forget to warm you hands before you get started . . . . and make sure the barn cat is near . . . they like a squirt every once in a while!

Boolit Master

Funny yes they are used on cows. My own eyes have witnessed them in use.

Never saw anything like them. They look like cool wall hangers to me,
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

Speaking of Holsteins,those were what I learned to milk on.Never a more hateful cow.Wished I would have had one of those gizmo's.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

you gotta poke em around a little before squeezing,,, no wonder she didn't like you.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Them folks must have been rich. We would get a loop around a cows neck, and then run a half hitch around the flanks. Once you got that done, a ten year old kid could put the meanest cow or bull on the ground in seconds.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I figured for sure I'd be the only one that knew what it was. have one out in the milking stall that we last used about 2 years ago.

Boolit Master
    You can use rope for the same effect..

Boolit Master
    Well shoot, I thought it was for a tractor lol. They seem to work okay. I have no idea what to do with them. No intention of milking a cow so I guess I will put them up as wall hangers. All sorts of old equipment around here. Horse drawn manure spreader, some sort of horse drawn seed planter with disks, and something for hay I believe. It has a bunch of thin gauge times in a row. Rides on steel wheels. Fun buying an old farm where they leave a bunch of tools and equipment. I think for me anyway none of it has a use now and is just decoration rusting away.

If you ever had a Holstein kick you hard on a cold morning while you were handling he or medicating her or milking her...you know what those were for and were glad to have them..

Besides guns one of my hobbies is collecting and restoring old farm equipment (mostly the antique engines)...There are clubs all over and xacex...if you will p/m me I'll try to get you in touch with the group near you in Oregon and they might help...please! Don't just sell it to a scrapper...it's a whole generation of history and lots of it is really interesting...thanks....Most of the kids got a dog or a cat....some of us got a calf or a goat or a pony...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0008.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	163751

Name:	Image0007.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	163752

Name:	Image0001_edited.jpg 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	163753

Name:	Image0015.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	163754

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Speaking of Holsteins,those were what I learned to milk on.Never a more hateful cow.Wished I would have had one of those gizmo's.
    Holsteins are not that mean, but i suppose you might get ticked off if somebody started pulling on you dangly parts with your head stuck in a head gate.

Moderator Emeritus

That old small horse drawn equipment works well behind an ATV or larger lawn tractor... ex neighbor used it on his garden.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I know I can count on you for helping a feller figure something out. No worries about sending anything here to the scrapper unless it is new. In fact I am saving some old tounge and groove barn floor wood I have stacked out here that has got to be 2 inches thick. Looks like solid maple. Some pieces show charing from a fire at some point. May make a nice reloading bench once milled and sealed.
    We may get a couple of mini beef cattle, but I doubt we will be getting into milking cows. Already have the chickens with a couple of roos, pigs, horses, and the other animals that come along such as the skunks, cayotes, coons, and hawks. Bunch of work around here. Geting to know electric fencing, poop disposal, preditor management, and animal health real quick. I don't know how they did it in the old days. Thank God for Google.
    Last edited by xacex; 03-16-2016 at 11:36 PM.

In Remembrance
    Mini beef cows??? calves maybe?

Boolit Master
    No, mini beef cows. We have someone around here that raises mini dexters and other breeds. Less damage to the pastures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dexter.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	163759
    Even the pigs I am raising are small. Those are American Guinea hogs. I would rather have a good quality smaller animal I can feed properly and get good marbling of the meat, than more meat than my family could possibly eat in a year. As is I will be selling some. Farm deferment requires me to make 650$ a year off of this place. Saved me nearly 3k in properly tax a year. 49% of that can be consumed by me, so after feed "hogs are a grazing breed" I need to come up with about $325 in profit on paper. We have several buffers in this, so it is covered but we would just like to have nice smaller breeds to deal with.
    Last edited by xacex; 03-17-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Master

I found these cleaning up the horse barn and have no idea what they are and what they are used for. They do not seem to have a place in my IH 460 to go
    No too many old International 460 tractors around. I've put a lot of hours on one myself. If you need another one let me know.

Boolit Grand Master
    We used a one legged stool to milk with.

I'll second the they must have been rich statement; all we had for cow kickers was a set of wide steel hooks on a chain.

Robert

Just for kicks here is a picture of the "really " good old days...my Grandad farmed with a team..man loved his horses...How you like my Aunt's hair do?

Name:	Scan10014_edited.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	163762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast