WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Lee dipers

Boolit Grand Master

Question Lee dipers

I have the newer yellow set. I noticed not every size is in the set. I'd like to get the missing sizes.
    Do the older red and black sets have different sizes????
    Maybe the missing ones in the yellow set.

I'll be glad to send you my "yellow set", you can put them together and hopefully figure it out! Send me a PM.
    Old and Wobbly !!

But it sure beats the other option!

Boolit Grand Master

They don't exactly make inbetween sizes. The older sets had different measures. They didn't measured in CC like the new ones so they do have some different sizes. You can buy another seth though and jab a small piece of cardboard in the bottom and that will give you different sizes!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I have a set of Lee dippers which goes from 1.6cc to 3.7cc in .1cc increments, i.e., 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, etc., etc. It's easy to make one bigger or smaller. Heat the bottom of the dipper with a flame. When it reaches plasticity, push the bottom in for a smaller size or push it out for a bigger size. Don't go past the plasticity stage to the burning stage.

Have adjsuted them with thin card board(busness card) and and masking tape. They are not damaged that way.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I put a drop or two of wax in mine. Easy to dig out if I want to change back.

Boolit Grand Master

Smile Modified some already

I've modified some extra dippers already. Works great.
    I was just thinking it would be easier to load if I had all the sizes.
    Can someone post the sizes of the red and black dipper sets????

Boolit Buddy
    The older Red set from Lee Custom Engineering Inc. are in cubic inches. The range is .020 ci.- .258 ci. with 13 dippers. They are for the most part, a set that falls in between the yellow metric ones. They compliment each other nicely. Bud

Boolit Master

just asking what do you use them for? rick

Boolit Buddy
    They are a fixed capacity gun powder measure - little cups with handles on them. You scoup it full then strike it level or shake it side ways to make it even. It is pretty much all I use and I never approach the maximum limits for any cartridge. Bud
    Last edited by BudRow; 05-13-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: More detail

Boolit Master

They are useful for me. I have used them in combinations to make decent loads I like.
    When I find a good load, I weigh the CC measurement. I take that powder and make a dipper from brass casings.
    I solder a coat hanger around a fired round, stand the new measure next to a loaded shell without the bullet. Mark, and cut off a little higher.
    I then weigh a charge and put it into the new dipper. I mark and recut. Of course I dump all the powder out before I do that.
    After cutting, I remeasure. If it comes out to what I want, I dump it out, and redip and remeasure. If that comes out, I dump it out, dip and remeasure. I then walk away for a bit, and dip cold. I measure. If I get very close weights, I load a few and try them out.
    So far, so good.
    If there is a dipper that works, I just use that and save a piece of brass. Only my 25-06 needed a dipper made up. It took two different dippers for one charge.
    I like them and found them to be pretty accurate for medium loads.

In Remembrance

I use them in combination with my scale, dip a charge just under the target and bring it up with the electric trickler. If I am doing a large number of rounds, I use the powdewr measure in place of the dipper, but each charge gets weighed for rifle, with pistol I measure and load. DALE

Boolit Master
    I have a half dozen different measures but when assemling just five or ten test loads I find that it is usually faster to just grab one of the dippers that casts just a bit low and then trickle. When assembling test loads I try to keep them within 1/10 of a grain. For my standard loads i have pretty weeded out powders that don't run through the measure well. I usually get the measure going, weigh a half dozen and if everything is going well I checkweigh every tenth round. I have better things to do than to sit there and weigh every round when I'm loading 500 or a thousand cases. I batch load cases rather than use a progressive. Neil

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    You can do this or even trim the brass until you have the exact volume you want.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0403.jpg  

Boolit Master

ok i can see that they would be ok for a few to test or if you just load 50 or so i was thinking of when i load a 1000 at a time rick