WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally learned the secret of casting good bullets

Finally learned the secret of casting good bullets

My neighbor is an electrician..

I had him run a dedicated 20 amp line to my casting station on the back porch..

That made a world of difference...

Boolit Master
    most people do not know that voltage changes throughout the day. this causes havoc with welders. you get everything set just right in the am, and after lunch nothing is right.
    i have mentioned this before, when casting you need an accurate thermometer...cause the markings on the side of your pot are as inconsistant as the incomming voltage.
    consistant temp makes consistant boolits.

mike in co

Quote Originally Posted by pdgraham View Post
    My neighbor is an electrician..

I had him run a dedicated 20 amp line to my casting station on the back porch..

That made a world of difference...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    finally got a thermometer and boy it taught me alot in about 30 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I disagree. Yes, I now have an RCBS thermometer and it's fun to play with, but I cast tons of boolits for the last 37 years without one.

When I wired my casting and loading room, I put five dedicated circuits in it, three 120 volt and two 240 volt.

I was in Lowes the other day and glanced at the copper wiring I used when I wired my shop in 2003. I bought 250' rolls of 12-2 W grd. for $18. Now it's $69!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I can't get over how much the price of wire keeps going up. But to make up for it, they keep raising the price of gas too.

Boolit Master
    you can dissagree all you want...you cannot ignore or change physics.

voltage determines heat( resistance in the element), voltage changes throughout the day in any reasonably populated area...and probably on the outskirts of populated areas.
    the npsh( the net positive suction head) is the results of the height of the alloy above the pour port. flow is based on the head, resistance to flow(temp/alloy) and the size of the pour port. the above result in how well the cavity fills. keeping all of this consistant results in consistant boolits.
    or one could just cast for 37 years and never know why one had variations in what was cast. not a big deal in some pistol boolits...but try doing match grade rifle boolits with out the proper tools.

if you always cast at the same time of the day, on the same days(sat/sun)....you may never see the difference. me, i cast any time day and night, any day of the week.

mike in co

Moderator Emeritus

It also depends on what is on your transformer and who you share it with. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

It's "The Man" messin with us. They don't want us to make too good of bullets so they figured out a way with electicity, I'm votin for change.

In Remebrance

Another reason to stick with a ladle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, Mike. I worked in power plants and substations for 37 years as well, and I know how electrically produced heat works. If you have more than a 4% or 5% voltage fluctuation in your house or shop, it's your power companies fault. There are damn few thermostats that can regulate within 5% at 700 degrees.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There are damn few thermostats that can regulate within 5% at 700 degrees.
    Cen-Tech Digital Thermometer - Model 92242 that was discussed here a couple of years back. Was sold by Harbor Freight in their stores ... about 40 bucks

Accuracy: plus or minus (0.5% reading 2* F) ... 32 - 2000* F

Works like a charm!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quotes:

Quote:
    There are damn few thermostats that can regulate within 5% at 700 degrees.

Quote:
    Cen-Tech Digital Thermometer - Model 92242 that was discussed here a couple of years back. Was sold by Harbor Freight in their stores ... about 40 bucks

Accuracy: plus or minus (0.5% reading 2* F) ... 32 - 2000* F

Works like a charm!

John Boy,

You're describing a thermoMETER, 454PB was talking about a thermoSTAT. A thermoMETER measures temperature, a thermoSTAT is a temperature controller. As 454PB said, they're electro-mechanical devices that aren't very precise. There are electronic devices that can provied precise temperature control, but none of the casting pot manufacturers are willing to add one to their product because of the cost.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    454PB was talking about a thermoSTAT ...a thermoSTAT is a temperature controller. ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    If you have more than 10% voltage fluctuation something is wrong. Your thermostat on a good pot will compensate for voltage fluctuation automatically anyway... it works on temperature not voltage,

I've been using a thermometer in the pot for over 20 years and I have noticed that my Lee 20-4 pot's thermostat isn't very good sometimes. On the other hand, my RCBS pot does a great job, and my Lyman 20# pot's thermostat quit working after 20+ years (replaced it with the Lee) It wouldn't go above 700 degrees anymore.

It's still a good idea to have a dedicated circuit for the casting bench though.

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

So I have spent years learning about Brinell hardness, slugging and proper sizing diameter, antimony for hardness, tin content for castability, high temp lube hydraulic performance, cavity and sprue venting, tin depleted monotype, zinc contamination, arsenic doping levels, mold lapping with toothpaste, wrinkled noses, proper fluxing for alloy reduction and gettering and now I need to start worrying about line voltage variations?

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Buddy
    Thermostats do not care about the incoming voltage. They are just switches.
    I know the RCBS thermostat is accurate to 6% of scale, or +- 30 F.

I went to a digital controller, +- 5 F.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I notice that my RCBS Pro Melt varies somewhat too. Sometimes as much as 50 deg. I keep a thermometer in the pot at all times while casting and keep an eye on it.
    Many times in a casting session I become the thermostat trying to regulate heat. And no I don't throw my sprues back in till I'm ready to load the pot again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee W View Post
    Thermostats do not care about the incoming voltage. They are just switches.
    I know the RCBS thermostat is accurate to 6% of scale, or +- 30 F.

I went to a digital controller, +- 5 F.
    lee....can you tell us how this was done ? what part numbers ?

thanks
    mike

On Heaven's Range

Everyone ends-up somewhere in this casting hobby, with methods and opinions formed by their own experience and also by the input of other people who have in turn formed their own way of "doing it".

In my particular way of casting, now extended past the forty-year mark, I don't own, use or need a thermometer. The thermostat on the RCBS Pro-Melt suffices for MY casting. After diligent experimentation with using two or more moulds at a time, and I MEAN that word "diligent", I've found that using more than one mould costs me time and reduces the production rate.

I also re-melt sprues during the course of a casting session, and I do NOT stop casting to wait for the pot to come back up in temperature.

These are a few of the heresies I commit at my bench. For the full story, go to "Homepage" on the toolbar up top on this page, and then click on "Members' Articles" in the left-hand column. Kindly read the article "Speedcasting" with an open mind, because it's a bit different from some procedures. Many casters here have at least tried it, and quite a few have adopted the routine completely.

It just might be worth your while.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    These are a few of the heresies I commit at my bench. For the full story, go to "Homepage" on the toolbar up top on this page, and then click on "Members' Articles" in the left-hand column.
    I don't think that your article survived the web forum software "upgrade" awhile back.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me