WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips I learned for keeping USPS shipping costs down since rate increase

Boolit Buddy

Tips I learned for keeping USPS shipping costs down since rate increase

Jan 2019 update: USPS just changed their price policies a bit for this year, the noteworthy things being the following:
    - First class parcels (under 16oz) are now calculated by zone, so its a bit pricer to ship farther away than it used to be. Still always cheaper than small flat rate though.
    - Parcel select is now slightly cheaper across the board, but large, lower weight packages will see a significant increase in price since they made a major change to the dimensional weight calc. Large low weight items (wads, hulls) are probably best off to use UPS/fedex now vs parcel select.

March 13th 2016 Update: I rolled this all into a flowchart, see image at bottom.

You can save a lot of money with this, the amounts are not trivial:

- Example 1: If you put a 19lb package in a regional B box (similar size to LFRB) instead of a LFRB, and it is going one or two states over, you will pay about $7 instead of $18.75.

- Example 2: A 10oz item in your own small box will cost about $4 First class vs $6.80 in a SFRB and should arrive just as fast.

I have significantly edited this original post to streamline things for easy reference since it is now a sticky.

I am a novice loader and have gained a lot from this forum. Since I am new to reloading and don't have much to offer in that regard, this is a way I can give back.

Two things are necessary to get the lowest shipping rates possible.
    1: Follow this chart to decide what method to use to ship your package
    2: Print the label online (see below for details) to qualify for discounted pricing (saves 11-15% on every package

#1: The chart: I made it personally based off my own testing and my intent is that it leads you to the cheapest option in 100% of weights/sizes, 100% of the time including first class and regional rate boxes, over any u.s. distance. If the chart does not yield the lowest price (even for one oddball time) PLEASE let us all know in this thread or PM me and I will update the chart accordingly. As of march 13th, 2016 this is a test run only, but is reasonably well validated at this point. I have done a thorough test, but need more feedback from people in unique circumstances to be sure of my "rules" that I used to create the chart. I want this to be 100% accurate so if you find a false case please let me know! I have not shipped a lot of packages in my life and I'm sure I'm wrong on something here. Let's say it has to be at least 25 cents cheaper for me to update the chart.

#2: Discounted pricing:
    - The most important thing I have learned to save money is that you can get discounted parcel shipping rates fairly easily if you have a paypal account, even if the other guy doesn't use paypal and none of the transaction went through paypal. Before the rate increase this january, this used to be available through usps.com, anyone who printed a label there got "commercial" pricing, now that no longer works.

-To get the discounted pricing now, you have to either use a pay-monthly service like stamps.com or create the label through your paypal account. When you're already signed into your normal paypal account, just change the url to /shipnow after the paypal.com part, this lets you create a discounted label to send to anyone you want regardless of whether or not you have an invoice. I don't want to make an actual link since that would look shady so you will have to manually do this yourself once normally signed into your account. I don't know why this isn't a better advertised feature of paypal but it is legitimate and it works. Google it if you are worried about doing it, or read below and see that people have tested it (as well as me), it is ok.

-Here are the savings for discounted vs regular flat rate pricing:
    SFRB: Normal:$6.80, Discounted: $6.10
    MFRB: Normal:$13.45, Discounted: $11.95, savings of $1.55
    LFRB: Normal:$16.35, Discounted: $18.75, savings of $2.40

I hope this helps keep more money in your pockets to blow on reloading expenses!

I will keep this original post updated and will not update other posts I make to this thread, so please keep that in mind if you are viewing files or conflicting info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USPS shipping guide version 2.jpg 
Views:	1080 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	163455
    Last edited by Andy; 01-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Perma-Banned
    dependin' on how persnickety yer postal employee is, you can get two small flatrate boxes in one flatrate padded mailer.

Banned
    2 lbs in a small dam i pack 25 lbs in them and like 50 or 60 lbs in the MFRB i love shipping lead this way LOL

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, anytime I buy lead by mail I always envision the post office employees grabbing that tiny SFRB, being surprised by the weight and exclaiming "what did this guy do, fill this full of lead?" And the answer in many cases is yes, that box is nearly 100% occupied with lead ingots.

Good to know on the padded flat rate, my testing only involved the various boxes so there is probably some room for improvement if you have a flexible item that can fit in an envelope (like small brass) and can pack it in a way to not be worried about it coming apart.

Boolit Master
    The regional boxes can save a lot, depending on how far the package needs to go. I always check and use them when it saves money.
    $6-$8 instead of $12 for mfrb, if the destination is close.

Only downside is you have to order them, while they are free you cannot get them at the local po.
    The largest ones turned out to be as/more expensive than standard flat rate so I never shipped with them.
    They have made great target backers, just trying to use them up instead of throwing them out.

shipping thru paypal will save money too, you will get the discounted rates
    Last edited by badbob454; 03-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Man

So I have to ask--did they lift the 13 oz limitation on First Class? If memory serves, it was after 9/11 or after anthrax packages or something in that timeframe is when they implemented a 13 oz. limitation on First Class. I ask if it has been lifted because the other day I was shipping something on Amazon that was 15+ oz, and one option that came up was First Class. That should not have been an option. Now I see this post where Andy is saying ship First class less than a pound.

mjwcaster is right about the regional flat rate boxes. You have to order them online. They are free and shipping them to you is free, but you can ONLY get them from USPS.com. They're called "Regional" because the cost varies by distance. I have used them a number of times for items I've sold on eBay or Amazon to minimize shipping cost. But unless you're some kind of math whiz, it's really bewildering to try to figure out where they're effective and where they're not without some automation. eBay and Amazon have incorporated them into their shipping options, and those options should also be available on USPS.com, but they are not available in PayPal shipping.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks much for the adviso about adding the backslash shipnow to the paypal URL....

Really appreciate your posting this!

Boolit Master

Thank you for the info. I was really down on USPS for removing the online discount for shipping. Now I realize what happened and how to be able to get that once again.

Brad

Boolit Master

Re: #1, Flat Rate includes $50 insurance at no extra charge. Is First Class plus insurance still cheaper?
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy

William: First class plus insurance is probably cheaper for anything smaller than a 1' cube, if I recall right the most you can pay for a 15oz first class package is $4.60 or something, and I think $50 in insurance is $1.50 or so so at best it breaks even with a small flat rate.

Dolphin: First class did change to be allowed at least up to 15 oz and it might also include an exact pound, not sure on that.

Glad I included the paypal info and that it is helpful to you guys, I like using the computer for labels anyway and really like saving $1 or more per package.

Edit: just tested it and the usps.com price calculator does not allow you to select 14-16oz for a first class package BUT they did announce an increase in the first class package limit to 16oz with the recent rate changes. You can create a 16oz first class package in the paypal shipping tool so I think this works but haven't actually done it. So either my info is wrong or usps has not updated their website calculator for that change.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks for posting, good info here.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy

Made up a chart that explains this better and addresses some errors in my first post, will post later, too sunny to be on the computer right now.

Cast Boolits Owner

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy

mods please delete this post (#15 only) I figured out how to remove the images
    Last edited by Andy; 03-13-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Since this is a sticky now I just did a full revision of my initial post to make it a bit shorter and easier to read, tested out better colors for printing the image and updated that accordingly. Also fixed an error or two in the chart where I didn't have Y/N and arrows in one area.

Edit: I think there is room for improvement in my chart in terms of shipping standard post vs the MFRB and LFRB decision lines but I have not confirmed this. It would be most likely to save you money when you just barely don't make a weight cutoff within the chart for those two trees (MFRB and LFRB lines). Please let me know if you test anything and find the chart to be untrue.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-14-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy

The "ship standard post" bubble should read "ship standard post or ups/fedex" ups and fedex are usually cheaper in my limited experience once you have to go this route.

For example a large 16lb package about 1200mi away was $32 parcel post and only $20 via ups/fedex.
    Last edited by Andy; 04-04-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah, anytime I buy lead by mail I always envision the post office employees grabbing that tiny SFRB, being surprised by the weight and exclaiming "what did this guy do, fill this full of lead?"
    I let my eyes get real big, lean across the counter, and in a hushed voice full of amazement inform him of The Secret:

"G O L D !"
    (followed, of course, by laughter, as I want that lead to arrive!)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    dependin' on how persnickety yer postal employee is, you can get two small flatrate boxes in one flatrate padded mailer.
    I mailed 40 pounds of sheet lead in two small flat rate boxed taped together and then doubled wrapped into padded flat rate envelopes and the buyer said the USPS wanted another $22 each and said that the weight was inappropriate for the packaging. The envelope has "One Rate any Weight" printed right on them. The buyer refused the shipment and it is being returned to me. Will I be charged for the return postage?
    Oh how I hate the postal service.

Boolit Master
    On 2-separate occasions, I have been charged 5.45 one time and $3.80 the other simply because the seller wrapped tape around the flat rate envelope so it fit squarely around the box one time and once because the label was in the wrong place and required manual scanning. On each occasion, the seller reimbursed me. Likely, taping 2 flat rate boxes together fit the same category.

The 2-25 lb. bags of lead shot in the medium frb gets their attention. Got 250 lbs. one time. They had me come to the post office & pick it up!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast