Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Loaded Cartridges

Shipping Loaded Cartridges

I sure hope this isn't in the wrong place. I looked the place over and couldn't find a specific spot. Anyway what is the cheapest way to mail Loaded Cartridges . I looked up Fed Ex and UPS. Random Zip Codes, UPS is higher in price than Fed Ex. I don't see how it would warrant a seller to discount the sale price to compensate for the shipping cost, or the buyer wanting to pay as much as it costs. I used a Zip From Wyoming to Kentucky for 5#. Cheapest way:
    Fed Ex cost is $16.97
    UPS is $19.44
    Any tips on this ?.. Thanks..
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master
    Fed Ex or UPS is your only options, I do not think you can send ammo through the USPS. Also you need to put an ordnance sticker on the box.

Boolit Master

Must be ground.
    Must be marked "ORM-D"
    I have only seen UPS accept this and only at a hub.
    Mrs. Brass returned some shoes. A store that sends packages quotes $30+, post office quoted $30+, UPS store $15.
    No hazmat fee for ammo or primed brass, just by weight with the ORM-D for the ammo.

Boolit Master
    Yep, your only options if you want to send ammo. That is why I no longer try to send ammo. Unless it is something extremely rare, I break it down, punch out the primers, save or dump the powder and sell the brass and bullet pulls which can ship thru the USPS.

Last box of ammo I sold on GB was a box of Norma Carcano and I charged a flat ten bucks shipping. My experience ended up like yours and I could have ended up with more cash in my pocket if I had broken it down and just sold the brass. Lesson learned.

I just agreed to buy a bunch of ammo from a member here. He is going to ship it and then tell me the cost....kinda dreading that PM!

YMMV

I use Ups and have an online account where I can print my own mailing label and then drop it in any UPS Drop box. They are all over and locations can be found on their website. Either way is not cheap, but this is the easiest way.

Ground only, Not USPS, not cheap, must be marked ORM-D. No Hazmat for primed brass

I have shipped live ammo twice - 4 boxes of 32 WS and 5 boxes of 356 Win. ~$20 each time. as stated above, I only ship if it is something odd/rare.

Fortunately I was able to educate a local shipper on the ORM-D req and he happily ships it for me. Don't have to go to a hub. But the education took about 30 min. He looked at the book a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

FEDEX has one rate pricing. Not sure if ammo is included; but, worth investigating.

http://images.fedex.com/images/us/on...ice_PDF_v8.pdf

Cheers,

Dave

Yes I was told had to ship from a UPS hub and had to show ID (possibly open an account?) not sure about FedEx even taking it. Know the USPS won't.
    Possibly with an account I could ship from the local storefront operations.

There is some stuff about double boxing and such for safety, and the ORM-D sticker which you can print from online sources. I think to be practical it has to be rare ammo or in sufficient quantity to dilute the shipping cost. Sort of like ordering large amount of powder and primers to dilute the hazmat shipping fee.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I ship ammo using fedex and ups. Both require the orm-d to be displayed on the package. 60lbs max for a private citizen I'm told. I use a shipping store downtown for guns and ammo. Some stores refuse and tell me I have to deal with a ups shipping point, that's BS. But it doesn't help if the shipping store won't take your business.

Yes, I know That you can't ship ammo by USPS. But now I know it just isn't worth the cost to the buyer or seller to pay the Fed Ex or UPS prices. That is unless you have a full box of original 1870 Henry cartridges.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master
    While some employees at a UPS store will accept the package, they are not supposed to.
    Same for drop boxes, against ups policy.
    Ups hub or scheduled pickup only.
    Not even sure if a normal person can schedule an ord-m pickup, I know that Winchester can.

Boolit Man

For anyone reading this, beware that there is some misinformation in a couple of these posts above:

You MUST ship ammo either UPS Ground or FEDEX Ground, and only from a hub. You can't take it to the UPS store or drop it in a UPS Drop Box. Now, maybe some stores violate their own policy. The policy may be BS, but it IS their policy.

Local FEDEX locations aren't supposed to ship long guns either, but I have shipped a rifle to a mfr for warranty repair once from a local FEDEX, and they took it. Shipping handguns for unlicensed folks is prohibitively expensive, because only FEDEX or UPS can do it, and they both insist on Next Day Air or equivalent at minimum of about $50. A dealer can ship a handgun First Class though, or Priority Mail at a lot less cost. But then I had one dealer turn around and tell me sure, he would ship it for me, for $150. **** that.

Ammo also requires adult signature at the receiving end, which is an additional cost. If you have had someone who didn't know that, or who was willing to break the rules and ship for you once without adult signature, consider yourself fortunate. But bear in mind, that rule is in place for a reason.

I have bought and sold a lot of ammo on GB. You just have to use the UPS or FEDEX web site and calculate the cost and include that in your auction listing. Somebody who wants your Carcano ammo badly enough will pay the shipping cost, whatever it is. (Do you have any more by the way?)

Also beware of locales where ammo is NOT ALLOWED to be shipped to a residence (LA and San Fran come to mind, as well as some others like Chicago I believe). MAKE SURE you know what the law is in the place you're shipping to, and it's constantly changing as the self-appointed ruling class communists step up their attempts to control us all.

From the web site of one online ammo vendor:

If you are in Illinois a FOID card must on file before we will ship.
    If you are in Los Angeles City, Chicago, Cook County IL, New York State, or Massachusetts we will only ship to an FFL dealer.
    If you are in Connecticut a State permit, certificate, or FFL is required.

The ORM-D stickers Name:  ORM-D.JPG
Views: 3839
Size:  14.2 KB were supposed to be phased out in 2013 or something, and replaced by this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ammo.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	163318

But recently as Feb 2016, I've gotten shipments of 22LR, .30 Carbine and police turn in .40 S&W with the ORM-D stickers.

With the latter, you still have to write the words "Small Arms Cartridges" on the box. I've drawn this symbol and written those three words on boxes with a Sharpie at the UPS counter before, and they've taken it. But I scrape these stickers from boxes that I've received ammo shipments in and keep them for future use. Most recently I sent a friend some en bloc clips with surplus ammo in them for a Garand.

Use these links for FEDEX and UPS to get the straight scoop on shipping ammo:
    http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...Guide_2016.pdf

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...mmunition.html
    Last edited by dolfinwriter; 03-12-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Cast Boolits Owner

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    JLarsson - Hunter, shooter, reloader, mostly in that order.....

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I bought an original Benet inside-primed Frankford Arsenal .50-55-430 Carbine cartridge (.50-70). Cartridge cost me $18.00, UPS shipping for the single cartridge "1 pound" box cost me about the same.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfinwriter View Post
    For anyone reading this, beware that there is some misinformation in a couple of these posts above:

You MUST ship ammo either UPS Ground or FEDEX Ground, and only from a hub. You can't take it to the UPS store or drop it in a UPS Drop Box. Now, maybe some stores violate their own policy. The policy may be BS, but it IS their policy.

Local FEDEX locations aren't supposed to ship long guns either, but I have shipped a rifle to a mfr for warranty repair once from a local FEDEX, and they took it. Shipping handguns for unlicensed folks is prohibitively expensive, because only FEDEX or UPS can do it, and they both insist on Next Day Air or equivalent at minimum of about $50. A dealer can ship a handgun First Class though, or Priority Mail at a lot less cost. But then I had one dealer turn around and tell me sure, he would ship it for me, for $150. **** that.

Ammo also requires adult signature at the receiving end, which is an additional cost. If you have had someone who didn't know that, or who was willing to break the rules and ship for you once without adult signature, consider yourself fortunate. But bear in mind, that rule is in place for a reason.

I have bought and sold a lot of ammo on GB. You just have to use the UPS or FEDEX web site and calculate the cost and include that in your auction listing. Somebody who wants your Carcano ammo badly enough will pay the shipping cost, whatever it is. (Do you have any more by the way?)

Also beware of locales where ammo is NOT ALLOWED to be shipped to a residence (LA and San Fran come to mind, as well as some others like Chicago I believe). MAKE SURE you know what the law is in the place you're shipping to, and it's constantly changing as the self-appointed ruling class communists step up their attempts to control us all.

From the web site of one online ammo vendor:

If you are in Illinois a FOID card must on file before we will ship.
    If you are in Los Angeles City, Chicago, Cook County IL, New York State, or Massachusetts we will only ship to an FFL dealer.
    If you are in Connecticut a State permit, certificate, or FFL is required.

The ORM-D stickers Name:  ORM-D.JPG
Views: 3839
Size:  14.2 KB were supposed to be phased out in 2013 or something, and replaced by this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ammo.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	163318

But recently as Feb 2016, I've gotten shipments of 22LR, .30 Carbine and police turn in .40 S&W with the ORM-D stickers.

With the latter, you still have to write the words "Small Arms Cartridges" on the box. I've drawn this symbol and written those three words on boxes with a Sharpie at the UPS counter before, and they've taken it. But I scrape these stickers from boxes that I've received ammo shipments in and keep them for future use. Most recently I sent a friend some en bloc clips with surplus ammo in them for a Garand.

Use these links for FEDEX and UPS to get the straight scoop on shipping ammo:
    http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...Guide_2016.pdf

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...mmunition.html
    This x the 10 years in prison & unlimited sodomization you'll get in the pen if you get caught. Especially with Osama Obama in charge. I gave up shipping loaded ammo a long time ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Fedex will pickup ormd packages for anyone with a fedex account. Getting a fedex account takes 10 minutes online. Make sure you declare and label your package.

New stickers will be used starting in 2020. It is called a limited quantity sticker.

Boolit Grand Master

FedEx will pick up but not all drivers are trained so notify them of the contents so they schedule the proper driver.

Boolit Master

I don't know if this is a good thread for a sticky seeing how shipping ammunition charges changes in about the time it takes to type it here,I just got a package with live ammo and plain brass costs was fair only 12.00 more than the brass alone would have been Wyoming to Texas.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast