Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you find green bar paper?

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast

Where do you find green bar paper?

Just started paper patching for my 9.3x74 using a RCBS 200 grain bullet and printer paper. 48 grains of IMR 4895 with 3gr. dacron gave me 2100 fps and about 1 inches at 50 yrds. Going to try different paper and powder hoping to get about 2400fps with good accuracy. Also thought I'd try softer alloy at 2100 to duplicate the 35 Rem. Can I get a small quantity if green bar paper from Office Max or some place like that? Any other ideas for small amounts of good paper CHEAP?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Dave View Post
    ...Any other ideas for small amounts of good paper CHEAP?
    The best idea I've read here is to use used paper. It was said to work just fine. Have any friends that work in an office? They should be able to hook you up.

I'm not a paper patcher myself but I can't see how a little ink can harm anything. It isn't abrasive nor is the ink made from metallic pigments. And free is as cheap as you can get.

P.S. I think it was a Kewi who mentioned this.
    Last edited by charlie3tuna; 03-10-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Boolit Master

Check with any accounting type folks.

Boolit Master
    To find which paper works best. Check out this Sticky thread by Buckshot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...patching-paper

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    What is you definition of "paper"? Paper stocks come in very thin (<30#) to ultra heavy (200# or more) classified in "basis" weights.

But "paper" is everywhere! Depends on what weight and make-up you want.

Have you looked into writing parchment/vellum/tracing paper ? Thin and available in tablets at most stores like OfficeMax.

Where do you find green bar paper?

In an Irish pub?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yuck.....yuck......yuck!!!!!! Was waiting for someone to post that one!

Happy St. Paddy's Day! We are all a bit-o-the-Irish that day! Got my green beer all lined up.

Find a few sheets from one of us. I have some that is the same paper no green bar. Tractor feed so its strong, 15lb. PM an address and I'll send you some.

Rod
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Find a few sheets from one of us. I have some that is the same paper no green bar. Tractor feed so its strong, 15lb. PM an address and I'll send you some.

Rod
    I found some in a local thrift store, old but the real thing, green bars and all.

PM a mailing address, and I'll send 3 sheets in a standard #10 letter-size envelope. (That's for anyone, not just Cheshire Dave. And complain here if my inbox fills up. )

I just have to ask.
    What is the hype about green bar paper for patching? What is so special about it??
    I ran miles of this paper through my Ham Radio hobby on RTTY, that is before the internet LOL.
    Can someone answer me?? Heck I might even look down in the basement and see if I still have some boxes of this green bar and let you have it if I still have some. But you pay the brown truck.

Boolit Master

I retired almost 10 years ago and even then we weren't using green bar paper. In the 20 years prior to that I must have hauled many, many pickup loads to the local elementary school where my wife taught. Those kids used it for everything. The teachers loved it. Not sure about the administrators. Paper patching wasn't even on my radar back then. I don't remember the last time I saw green bar paper.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I just have to ask.
    What is the hype about green bar paper for patching? What is so special about it??
    I ran miles of this paper through my Ham Radio hobby on RTTY, that is before the internet LOL.
    Can someone answer me?? Heck I might even look down in the basement and see if I still have some boxes of this green bar and let you have it if I still have some. But you pay the brown truck.
    It has several qualities that make it work well for paper patching with smokeless powder. (It will work with black in some instances, but normally isn't ideal) One is it comes in 15# thickness, which makes it add .011" on a double wrap patch. It is quite fluffy and easily sizes down without sizing the bullet underneath. Since most rifling is .008" deep (both sides) and you usually want a bullet .001" over bore size, your wrapped bullet will be .012" larger than the bore. Most throats are .001 - .003 bigger than the grooves, so you can see this paper gets you close in most rifles with minimal sizing.

When fired, it seems to turn to dust. You don't get confetti, just a puff of dust. No problem with release.

It's reasonably strong when wet. The other commonly available 15# paper is lined notebook paper, and it turns to mush when wet.

It has lines on it to make it easier to cut straight?

How's that.

-Nobade

Very Good Nobade.
    I got a PM earlier form a feller from down south asking for some so I went down into the mole den and looked to see if I still had any left because the cookie munchers used it for drawing pictures when they came and the green bar box was empty gut I still had 1/2 a box of white left. I tore the tractor strips off one and separated the two sheets and they measure .0037" but it is a very stiff brittle paper, maybe because of age. But it had to be hard for the teletype printers. But anyway it's spoken for.

There are most certainly different kinds of that paper. A friend gave me a bunch of it that was very stiff and much thicker than what I normally use. It had green bars and tractor feed strips but was totally unsuited for paper patching.

I guess the attraction is the thickness, now that most all commonly available paper is 20# or 25# and made for laser printers. That works for patching but is way too thick for easy use. Not much else out there that is really suited unless you look hard.

Last I looked there were still a few boxes of 15# green bar on Ebay pretty cheap. $50 will get a whole box and not many people would live long enough to use that up.

-Nobade

I don't use paper any thicker then .002". I have patched some .44's ( .434" rifle bullets) for the .45-70 but the accuracy just don't compare to using thin paper.
    The paper I use was made by Southworth and when I saw a notice that they are discontinuing Copy and their cockle finish onion skin paper I got the last out local Office supply had. Three reams of 500 sheets and one ream of 1000 that was 700 CPL copy plus I found some in Montana but I'm running out.

Yep, very different paper needs to be used for black powder vs. smokeless powder. Most of the time. Unless it's not......

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    o.k. I'll fess up.

Found some good paper to use at the local stationary.

it maybe a might thin at only nine or ten thou when dried.
    it comes as a blank a4 size pad.
    no lines.
    It keeps better than lined notepad when wet.
    doesn't taste like the paper glue that bonds a lot of paper.
    at $2.50 a pad of 50 sheets it is perfect.

i came across it by luck buy asking if they had any paper that most people would call rubbish.
    I mean like its plain and not glossy and ink would bleed throu or go fuzzy when using it.

You mean like this she replies
    Yes just like that.
    And I have been to the place quite few times over the years.

haven't really tested it out fully but 4/5shots at 100 yards less than an inch with my 1500 fps 30-30 load.

hope it helps
    BArra

Boolit Master

OK, had to see a picture
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Green...product_177105
    changed to 15# per s mac below
    Last edited by skeettx; 04-11-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Yes that's what it looks like, although I think most folks use 15#. I bought a box from one of our suppliers recently for about a third of the cost of your link. I would also be willing to send a few sheets to some folks that want to try some, pm an address to me. A full box will last me sometime.

Boolit Mold

There are most certainly different kinds of that paper. A friend gave me a bunch of i

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    There are most certainly different kinds of that paper. A friend gave me a bunch of it that was very stiff and much thicker than what I normally use. It had green bars and tractor feed strips but was totally unsuited for paper patching.

I guess the attraction is the thickness, now that most all commonly available paper is 20# or 25# and made for laser printers. That works for patching but is way too thick for easy use. Not much else out there that is really suited unless you look hard.

Last I looked there were still a few boxes of 15# green bar on Ebay pretty cheap. $50 will get a whole box and not many people would live long enough to use that up.

-Nobade
    After reading these posts yesterday I went looking for paper today in an old office supply place. They had a few boxes of paper that they need to get rid of in different sizes. I bought an entire box of the 14" green bar that had not been opened.
    Will share with anyone that needs some. Let me know.
    Hipshot1